ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Honda 450R or Yamaha Banshee (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/184305-honda-450r-yamaha-banshee.html)

jon06 12-21-2004 01:23 PM

Honda 450R or Yamaha Banshee

Ive ridden a Kx 125 for a few yrs now but i want a quad which one would be better and 450R or a Banshee

TheWeedman 12-21-2004 01:25 PM

depends, the 450s seem to be the wave of the future, but i think the banshee responds to mods better, other than that i think the 450 dominates in everything except for top speed.

TheWeedman 12-21-2004 01:26 PM

and welcome to the forums

maddog56 12-21-2004 10:08 PM

Two completely different machines, but you can search and find all kinds of information about these machines and what they are best suited for.

SkillzThatKillz 12-23-2004 03:35 PM

They are both great bikes. The 450s are new and are quick and great for moto and jumpin. Great bike. If raw speed and necking snappin acceleration are your thing then go with the banshee, it is great for the duns and wide open spaces, great bike ot tool around on, but it is not good moto-xer. Both great bikes just depends on what you want to use them for.

kfx40012tbirds 12-29-2004 03:00 PM

if i was you and you cant decide between the banshee and 450r i would get a yfz 450 in stead of either one of them.

ellett611 01-03-2005 03:35 PM

Welcome to the forums, 450r's are the wave of a the future, 4 stroke technology is rising..but the 2 stroke still reigns in some areas , If you want a non *High* maintenance go with a 4 stroke 450r they require maintenance but not near as much as the banshee does, Banshee's you have to worry about your mixture and everything and 2 strokes have the tendency after awhile to blow up, Four strokes hardly ever do unless you have the engines modded out and race a lot but i would prefer you to go with the 450r because for one they are quick reliable and not high maintenance, and because they are honda too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

drezilla 01-19-2005 10:16 AM

I am in the same boat as you are and trying to decide between the same 4 stroke and 2 stroke bikes. I have ridden 2 srtokes all my life on the dirft and I am ready to sell my streetbike to get back into it. I am leaning towards the Banshee because I am a very aggressive rider and prefer the awesome hard hitting powerband that the banshee delivers over the lazier 4 stroke power. The 450's are probably much easier to ride than the banshee, less effort and shifting to keep the power where it needs to be. I was at my uncles house for the holidays and he has a Honda 400ex and a Yamaha Blaster. In a straight line drag race the 400ex flat out has more power and pulls away from the blaster every time, no matter who was riding, we switched frequently. Even with a good jump on the blaster, the 400ex had more pulling power and always caught up and passed the blaster. The banshee has way more power than the blaster and would easily whip the 400ex in this race. After that, we hit the trails and made a track through the woods up and down a creek. We started timing each other through the track and another guy showed up on his 300ex, got beat in everything we did by both the blaster and 400ex. Everyone wanted to ride the 400ex through the track because it obviously had the most power and was the quickest. Everyone was right around the same lap times on it as well 1:19-1:22 per lap. I decided it was my turn and I would give the poor little blaster a shot, and WOW, I was smoking everyones times on that little thing, 1:10-1:12 per lap. Everyone was blown away that I was kicking their butts on this blaster. The track had lots of fast turns with a few technical sections to slow you down and a long straight away, had everything but jumps in it. I was able to stay on the pipe on the blaster in almost every section of the track, it took more work to shift more often and keep the blaster in it's sweet spot, which is really really short. If the banshee is anything like the blaster but with more power, that is what I want. I don't care to jump much, just like rushing through the trails wide open on the edge almost, very aggressive riding. I would just need more power than the blaster has for the open riding and I think the banshee has that. I think a 4 stroke makes me a lazy rider, they are just too easy to ride and I get lazy on them and don't push as hard. Sorry for the long reply, just wanted to let you know my experience of the 2/4 strokes. I like the 2 strokes.

strubby 01-21-2005 07:44 PM

Yeah, it depends on what you want to do with it, like everyone else is saying. I've always ridden 2 stroke bikes too, but when I rode my uncles 400EX, I fell in love with it. I mostly trail, so I've been very happy with the four strokes I've ridden. Right now I just have an '01 Warrior and my friend rides an '02 Blaster. The Blaster is quick, but in the trails the Warrior kills. On the straights and track, the Blaster is fun competition, just not where there's a lot of slower turns and shifting. So I as well ride my fourwheeler hard, and the 4 stroke does every bit I want it to. I just prefer it on the trails. If we're riding wide open I still sometimes trade my buddies for their bikes. So.... what do you plan on doing with the machine?

jbehn04 01-26-2005 10:14 PM

i have a banshee it is the best off road vehicle ive ever owned , im sick of people saying their high maintenance , i havent fouled a plug yet and nothing has the power band like a banshee nothing. i have toomey 6 pipes a cant beleive the power it has, plus you can do any thing you want to a banshee , you cant beef up 450 or 4 strokes

spoRtRax450R 01-26-2005 10:39 PM

u cant huh? news to me

TheWeedman 01-26-2005 10:57 PM

Originally posted by: spoRtRax450R
u cant huh? news to me
im pretty sure he meant u cant mod a 4 stroke as cheaply as a 2.

jbehn04 01-26-2005 11:21 PM

you can do what ever you want to your 4 strokes but the banshee will still win , and 2 strokes are easy to work on

jbehn04 01-26-2005 11:24 PM

but i will agree that it depends on what type of riding you wanna do, im sure your 4 strokes are nice but the banshee is the king in my opinion

joechum 01-29-2005 02:29 PM

if you like the hard hitting powerband of a 2 stroke you might want to look a the yfz 450 it seems to have a more abrupt power delivery and the 450r seems to come on more smooth all 3 are great quads cant go wrong with any of them.

KingRacing 01-31-2005 11:05 PM

Forget it all, if you cant decide.... Get the old legend....2 fiddy R

waynerod 02-01-2005 05:59 PM

This guy.... Geez.

Originally posted by: ellett611
Banshee's you have to worry about your mixture and everything and 2 strokes have the tendency after awhile to blow up, Four strokes hardly ever do unless you have the engines modded out and race a lot but i would prefer you to go with the 450r because for one they are quick reliable and not high maintenance, and because they are honda too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Dude - 2 strokes blow up after awhile? What are you freakin' talking about?
I've never done ANY motor work to my bike - and it still runs like a champ.

From your post - you shouldn't be mixing any fuel anyways.. "Hmmm - Is that 50 gas to 1 oil, or 50 oil to 1 gas..." This isn't rocket science.
Get the ATC250r ;-) (Sorry banshee guys - but I've been racing against them since the 80's... Just a long standing grudge I guess!)

bansheemike 02-01-2005 06:26 PM

depends what kinda riding.. you do.. yfz450 on a track with mods is untouchable.. a banshee on trail...not a chance in hell you will keep up.. my friend has over $10,000 in aftermarket parts and my banshee will eat it on trails and but doesn't do so well on tight tracks

robthewheeler 02-01-2005 09:51 PM

you cant compare a banshee to a yfz 450 there are in completly different classes. a banshee is in the high performanc big bore class with a preditor or raptor or the best ds 650. if u are doing motor cross go with the yfz 450 not a 450r. but if u are trail riding your just haveing fun on small jumps go with the banshee or ds 650. banshees have better acceleration but they ds 650 goes faster.

jbehn04 02-02-2005 09:53 PM

my banshee hasnt broke down either its really dependable and very fast . after i put my toomey 6 pipes on with jet kit and high air flow kit its got atleast 20 more horse power, its fast enough for me and its not high maintenance and nothing has a power band like 2 strokes.

waynerod 02-03-2005 08:53 PM

Amen on the powerband - I just luv ridin' the pipe (And I'm not talkin' surfin')

ridinsmooth 02-06-2005 06:25 AM

b-a-n-s-h-e-e

Morewood 02-13-2005 02:21 AM

Jon,
You did not explain why you are limiting your choices to 450R or Banshee? Why not consider some of the other models?? You've probably already bought by now, but....JMO....

Here's my experience, riding 4-strokes for the last 4 years overlapping riding 2-strokes (Banshee and 250Rs) for 15 years. The piped and jetted Banshee probably has the most awesome acceleration of all, especially hard to beat in the dunes. But, the maintenance that people refer to is prolific, if you put real hours on the machine. Keeping the carbs cleaned and in tune, keeping fasteners tightened (due to the high vibration of the engine), needing 4 wrenches just to tighten the chain, keeping the air filter clean and properly installed so it doesn't suck sand, replacing the kick starter joint so it doesn't "ring", replacing the quickly worn out chain slide, installing a good case saver, stators are nortorious for failing (mine did), CDI boxes are nortorious for failing (mine did), all 2-strokes eventually wear out the top end and need to be rebuilt, the water pump impeller is nortorious for failing (mine did), Banshees tend to run HOT so adding fins is a good idea or engine ice, mixing gas is just another form of maintenance, thumb throttle is stiffer than most because you are pulling 2 springs (add a thumb saver?), spark plug wire 90-ends tend to fail, clutch plates need to be beefed if you do a lot of clutching (trail riding), removing the TORS crap, upgrading the bars and adding bar end weights to dampen vibration, electrical shorts sometimes occur, some do foul plugs (I've seen a hundred replaced over the years), and I could go on....just from my experience and that of my friends riding Banshees.
The thing is, Yamaha has had no new 2-stroke competition for many years, so they have not made any real Banshee design improvements (or fixes) since A arms in 1989. They didn't have to after Honda quit making the 250R.

4-strokes are definitely less maintenance. And 4-strokes can definitely be upgraded after-market....just check any of the various model categories on this web site and read about their upgrades.....piping, jetting, CDI's, intakes, plus engine mods, etc.
Consider this: A number of stock 4-strokes will now beat the stock Banshee in a drag race. Check out the hard hitting YFZ450 if you are just looking for big acceleration....or even the ATK.

Since you are from Missouri, you must do a lot of trail riding. Dirt Wheels calls the Predator (stock) number one on the trails, with the (stock) Raptor number two. I prefer my Predator over my Raptor on the trail, and I also like my Predator better in the dunes. I have a few hours on the Z400, YFZ450, DS650, and the 450R. They are all very good.....depends on which fits your use and which you like.

Let me finish by just saying I always worked up a good sweat on a hard, fast 2 hour Banshee ride....not so on the easy to ride 4-strokes. Just depends on what you like. Have fun, Enjoy life!

miloscio22 02-18-2005 01:26 PM

if u love speed the best way to go in the banshee

DLRPLATE 02-25-2005 10:07 PM

I have recently made the change to the four stroke. I rode a 250R with a 330 kit. I still miss the big end of the 250 but the Yfz 450 has great acceleration on the bottom to midrange. I chose the Yfz 450 because plain and simple 2 strokes a little more unnreliable i my opinion. I want to trail ride more and race less but wanted to have the same smile from acceleration. Sand or drag racing I would go with the banshee. Sorry dont mean to compare the 250 to the banshee but they are close to the same bike.

MY 2 pennies

allblk01gt 02-26-2005 12:39 PM

The Banshees are great...found one here with TONS of mods:

it needs a new home....
I never ride it any more and it just seats their looking I've only riden it 4 times in the last 2 years.
$3500.
dont call if you dont have the $$
It has over $3500 in mods.

+2 A arms
works shocks with reservoirs (set up for a 200 lbs rider by works)
shock wears
FMF fatty pipes
billet laser lights & upgraded stator
steering damper
nerf bars
cool head
billet high flow water pump
inline water cooler
pro-flow filter kit & k&n filter
jet kit by k&n
barnett cluth
sand tires front and rear
maxxis razer tires front and rear
AND MORE call me at (918) 724-2621

TIM

http://pstr-d02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/...+xSb3D0300.jpg
http://pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com/data/...+yx1JN0300.jpg

Still available......

catchmeifucan 02-26-2005 02:59 PM

Go with a 450r, it will last longer, with minimal problems...which is way more than what you can say for the average Shee.