ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Yamaha YFZ 450 or Honda 450R (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/188407-yamaha-yfz-450-honda-450r.html)

bohicajoe 01-23-2005 04:34 AM

Yamaha YFZ 450 or Honda 450R

I triedr to search for this topic but I could not find it. I want to get some unbiased opinions please. Thanks!!

JOE

reconranger 01-23-2005 11:18 AM

You can see some of my thoughts here: http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...&keyword1=450R There are a thousand posts on this topic! Do an advanced search of the bike names, and be sure to select "title OR body". You will be reading for a week!

First, you need to tell us where you ride! Trail, track, wide open desert, mud, etc. And what bikes have you ridden before, so we know what to compare it to?

In my mind, the Yamaha is an MX bike that can be adapted for the trail. The Honda is a trail bike, that can be adapted for the track. Both have high revving engines, that don't like to be lugged down. So I don't like either one for any type of technical trail riding. They behave more like a 2-stroke, than any of the past 4-strokes do. For the trail, I pick one of the 400's (EX or Z). I only pull the 450 out of the garage if I am going to ride the fast, wide open desert.

ChadW 01-23-2005 03:43 PM

I think it would boil down to whether I wanted electric start or not. They are both excellent high performance quads.

waynerod 01-26-2005 06:38 PM

OK - I would go with the honda for the 'cool' factor.. However - I'd make sure it was a 250R....

Save about 3k, and dump it into mods man - then you would be able to smoke any new 4 stroke.. (Really!)

You Hondas are known for their long lasting engines - I'm still on the original bore on my 85'..

If you must buy new - go w/ the honda.

hondariderAR 01-26-2005 06:48 PM

Originally posted by: waynerod
OK - I would go with the honda for the 'cool' factor.. However - I'd make sure it was a 250R....

Save about 3k, and dump it into mods man - then you would be able to smoke any new 4 stroke.. (Really!)

You Hondas are known for their long lasting engines - I'm still on the original bore on my 85'..

If you must buy new - go w/ the honda.
wow dude are you obsessed with your atc250r?
he asked about the yfz450 and the trx450r...not the 250r way off here man.
the 250r rage has been gone, its now about 4-strokes. sure their fun but people are lookin for *NEW* quads these days.

anyways i think you'll like either purchase the honda has a closer displacement to 450, but its tamer. the yfz is shy a few more cc then the honda, but the power comes on harder. i've heard top end is pretty close to each other..but the yfz just hits harder so it seems faster.

THEANSWER3 01-26-2005 07:51 PM

The honda is actually faster on the top end by like 1mph. Everyone thats rode both says the yamaha is faster. i would go with the Yamah a because of that, and its electric starting

waynerod 01-27-2005 01:20 PM

Hondarider - would you rather ride your 4-wheeler or your 3-wheeler?

C'mon - tell the truth. I bet your 200x still gets up and goes - even 'bone stock'

A foreman - with a winch (I've never actually seen a winch on a quad - but thats cool) - is so damn heavy.

I am obsessed with power - and my 250R... Yep.

It's all about havin' fun. Just plain havin' fun.

Gopher500 02-16-2005 10:25 AM

Originally posted by: waynerod
Hondarider - would you rather ride your 4-wheeler or your 3-wheeler?

C'mon - tell the truth. I bet your 200x still gets up and goes - even 'bone stock'

A foreman - with a winch (I've never actually seen a winch on a quad - but thats cool) - is so damn heavy.

I am obsessed with power - and my 250R... Yep.

It's all about havin' fun. Just plain havin' fun.
youve never seen a winch on a quad? wierd to me, its a standard requirement here

Alky 02-17-2005 05:59 AM

If you plan to put mods on it i would go with the r because it is the more stable and reliable quad. If you are not going to put mods on it then i would go with the yfz.

miloscio22 02-17-2005 10:59 AM

get the 450r it is honda made so it is more reliable also i dont know about the yfz beeing faster i think it just has more power wich makes it FEEL faster i also hav both electric and kick start and kick is not a big deal go with the 450r