Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Prospective buyers be forewarned......

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyers be forewarned......

hmm my friend got a bf 750...only thing went wrong with his was a bolt on the exhuast shield was loose and rattling and a clap on one of his cooling lines wasn't sealing well, so 10 minutes and it was fine, also the stock wheels are fine, they work. he got his 589 m/s cus his moms friend wanted him to get them

Old 02-05-2005, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

s2mikey,

Missed your other posts so I can't comment on your disappointments. Following are some reactions to your expectations:

- Expect the dealers to generally fight with you on just about any and every repair situation. It is ALWAYS your fault so you'd better be a "good little Johnny" and just accept it and plan on wrenching it yourself.

- Expect that extended warranty to be as useless as a fart in a spacesuit. The warranty covers everything...except the part that breaks. Remember, you MUST have been abusing it. Yeah, like riding it on a dirt trail or in 3 inches of snow.....?????
When I bought my first ATV, I was fully informed by both the salesman and the delivery person that warrantees would not cover abuse or wear or tear. So I didn't purchase the extended warranty. They talked themselves out of it.

Expect the value of the machine to take a horrific value "hit". Just like cars, the minute you drive/trailer thing off the lot, it just lost $1000 dolars of value and that number continues to drop real quick.

- Expect to spend big bucks on trucks, trailers, ride passes, etc, etc. The cash outlay just BEGINS with the quad purchase. You'll immediately have to spend another $500 bucks on wheels and tires becasue the ones they give you aren't worth pissing on.
It doesn't matter what recreational sport you get into, they all cost money. The more you participate the more it will cost. You just need to budget these expenses in as part of the sport. New equipment be it cars or ATV's always drop 40% in value the day they are taken off the lot. Just expect it. I disagree on the tires. OEM equipment is designed for general purpose use. If your doing something special, then plan on spending more for mods.

Concerning reliability issues that you addressed, I would make two points. First, new models can sometimes have start up problems. You need to plan on that. Second, riding habits are the biggest determining factor in the amount of repairs that are required. Most of the repairs I had to do on my atv's were the result of operator error. You make the post sound so negative but in general it is a good outline of what to expect. Everyone should review your list before they ever buy an atv or any vehicle.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Range Rover

s@mikey & all others who responded;
Seems that your disappointment with the new quads is shared by not just ATV buyers, but the whole marketplace. We're being guineau pigs/beta testers for everything from ATV's to automobiles, software, perscription drugs, you name it. The bean-counters are in charge, and they just can't wait until the developers are finished. 'Course, Henry Ford had the same problem; his engineers didn't want to start production because they "needed more time to make changes", but Henry froze the design and started the production line. I was darn close to getting a new Suzuki King Quad, even though I dreaded the "1st model year" issue. Now I'm glad I didn't. Many lawsuits are begun because of this trend to rush to market, only to find serious issues. We customers have to yell like h*ll, and forums like this will get the word out. We share the pain, man.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: s2mikey
I posted my disappointments with my current quad in another thread and was basically trashed by almost everyone for being a whiner and not just "accepting" it. Well, I wanted to warn all of the prospective buyers exactly what they're getting into when hey plop down BIG cash for one of these things. Here is what to expect:

- Expect major design flaws in pretty much all of them. I don't know if there desginers took the short bus to school or something, but there are numerous stories of just plain stupidity. An example on a certain make and model is mud and water getting in places where it shouldn't get. Um....duh? Didnt they try it out first? Maybe they just assume that the units won't get ridden on the trails???

- Expect the dealers to generally fight with you on just about any and every repair situation. It is ALWAYS your fault so you'd better be a "good little Johnny" and just accept it and plan on wrenching it yourself.

- Expect that extended warranty to be as useless as a fart in a spacesuit. The warranty covers everything...except the part that breaks. Remember, you MUST have been abusing it. Yeah, like riding it on a dirt trail or in 3 inches of snow.....?????

- Expect various recalls and "woops" campaings.

- Expect chintzy parts being used in some of the worst places and expect them to not last.

- Expect to spend big bucks on trucks, trailers, ride passes, etc, etc. The cash outlay just BEGINS with the quad purchase. You'll immediately have to spend another $500 bucks on wheels and tires becasue the ones they give you aren't worth pissing on.

- Expect to be nickle and dimed to death as many of the problems are not major, but they are enough to drive you crazy.

- Expect the value of the machine to take a horrific value "hit". Just like cars, the minute you drive/trailer thing off the lot, it just lost $1000 dolars of value and that number continues to drop real quick.

- Expect to be ridiculed if you even dare to suggest that quality control and thoughtful design should be the norm. From my experience, the norm is to just shut your mouth and live with it. Great.

- Expect that the $8000++ you plunk down or the top of the line big bores doesn't buy an a single ounce of extra quality. The expensive ones are just as bad as the cheap ones and the pain is greater when stuff breaks because you spent so much to begin with.

- Expect to have fun when riding, they are a blast to ride without a doubt. Just realize that it ain't gonna be no "turn the key and go" type of deal. Better plan on a service manual and some good tools.

Well, that's it. Not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to be prepared for what's ahead if they buy one of these things.

Just curious, but what do you do for a living? Never had a mistake? Make perfect decisions and perfect outcomes? Never dealt with someone who had a bone for you...and it wasnt your doing?
Ya know, sometimes we bring on our own problems. I can usually see trouble coming before they even open their mouth. Wheres my incentive to kiss butt, when I know I have an unreasonable *** chewing coming? I dont make the stuff, I do what I can to fix stuff. Im not the one who broke it...but its my fault? Ive got plenty of customers who treat me well, wheres my incentive to get involved with a person who wont be happy no matter what I do?
One quad...and they are all siht? Thats pretty good extrapulation there. So if you meet one gal, and shes a bitch....they all are? You have one bad meal....you gonna quit eating? One nail coming up out of the sheetrock, bad mouth the builder?
Its not how much you spend, that determines the quality of the experience. I know guys who have $75,000 cars and trucks, and you want to know misery...buy one of them. Others buy $200 beaters and drive them trouble free for years.
I gotta agree...unless you know what youre doing, stay away from first year ANYTHING. Boats, motors, quads, cars ,trucks, houses...you name it.
Your best bet..buy a used quad, take it for a test drive, and if its up to your standards, buy it.
Sorry about the rant...but I felt the need, to give you a perspective from the other side.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider

man i feel you but when you have a quad most people are not bored i bought a quad and i will never stop loving to ride atv every body on this forum like the same thing and that quads