Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Prospective buyers be forewarned......

Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyers be forewarned......

I posted my disappointments with my current quad in another thread and was basically trashed by almost everyone for being a whiner and not just "accepting" it. Well, I wanted to warn all of the prospective buyers exactly what they're getting into when hey plop down BIG cash for one of these things. Here is what to expect:

- Expect major design flaws in pretty much all of them. I don't know if there desginers took the short bus to school or something, but there are numerous stories of just plain stupidity. An example on a certain make and model is mud and water getting in places where it shouldn't get. Um....duh? Didnt they try it out first? Maybe they just assume that the units won't get ridden on the trails???

- Expect the dealers to generally fight with you on just about any and every repair situation. It is ALWAYS your fault so you'd better be a "good little Johnny" and just accept it and plan on wrenching it yourself.

- Expect that extended warranty to be as useless as a fart in a spacesuit. The warranty covers everything...except the part that breaks. Remember, you MUST have been abusing it. Yeah, like riding it on a dirt trail or in 3 inches of snow.....?????

- Expect various recalls and "woops" campaings.

- Expect chintzy parts being used in some of the worst places and expect them to not last.

- Expect to spend big bucks on trucks, trailers, ride passes, etc, etc. The cash outlay just BEGINS with the quad purchase. You'll immediately have to spend another $500 bucks on wheels and tires becasue the ones they give you aren't worth pissing on.

- Expect to be nickle and dimed to death as many of the problems are not major, but they are enough to drive you crazy.

- Expect the value of the machine to take a horrific value "hit". Just like cars, the minute you drive/trailer thing off the lot, it just lost $1000 dolars of value and that number continues to drop real quick.

- Expect to be ridiculed if you even dare to suggest that quality control and thoughtful design should be the norm. From my experience, the norm is to just shut your mouth and live with it. Great.

- Expect that the $8000++ you plunk down or the top of the line big bores doesn't buy an a single ounce of extra quality. The expensive ones are just as bad as the cheap ones and the pain is greater when stuff breaks because you spent so much to begin with.

- Expect to have fun when riding, they are a blast to ride without a doubt. Just realize that it ain't gonna be no "turn the key and go" type of deal. Better plan on a service manual and some good tools.

Well, that's it. Not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to be prepared for what's ahead if they buy one of these things.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

GOOD POST. I AGREE; BUT NOT SO MUCH. HONDA QUADS AMAZE ME...THEY TAKE A PRETTY GOOD BEATING. MY DEALER HAS BEEN GREAT;NOT CHEAP BUT NOT SCREWING ME BEHIND MY BACK.
ONE MUST RELIZE IT IS A "READ BETWEEN THE LINES" TYPE OF WORLD WE LIVE IN.
THIS TRAIN OF THOUGHT COULD APPLY TO ANY SPORT....

CUASE AND EFFECT IN PLAY.

DUCK HUNTING.....GAS TO GET THERE,LICENSES YOU/ BOAT/DOG/TRUCK,SHELLS TO SHOOT,SPECIAL CLOTHING,SPECIAL ITEMS FOR THE SPORT,LOST ITEMS,BOAT GAS/OIL,WEAR AND TEAR ON YOU DOGS AND EQUIPMENT, FOOD WHILE THERE,TOLLS TO GET THERE, LOST REVENUE WHILE THERE,"MUST HAVE" PARTS ETC,ETC, ETC.....
WANNA PLAY?.....GOTTA PAY!!!! WHATS NEW?????

Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

So what did you buy and where? I believe what you have stated mostly holds true for all recreational vehicles, boats etc. Thats why I get the cheapest thing that gets me from point a to point b. Compared to the reliability of an automobile an atv is junk. Dealers luv us before the sale and shun us afterwards, its just a fact, though some are a whole lot nicer about it than others. Its also a fact that every last one of us abuse our machines and have always exceeded the manufacturers recomendations, they know it and we know it. And they know that we know that they know that we torture these things. None of us jump off a bike after going through a mud puddle and clean off the brakes as specified, or worry about exceeding water level recomendations, or towing recomendations. And yes they could build them better, but then they would not be able to compete pricewise, seems like with atvs everyone has their hand in the cookie jar.
Im sure somebody out there will tell you to buy a Honda, and then get back into the my bike is better than your bike routine, fact is they all are prone to breakage. Alot is asked from these things. Any form of mechanical recreation becomes expensive with the machine being just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

but then they would not be able to compete pricewise
So it's all about price then? Great, instead of building something right there more concerned with price fighting.

You'd think that one of the mfg would get beyond this and actually brag about their higher prices! They could simply claim that there quads are more expensive but they're not crap either!

I'd GLADLY pay more for: airboxes that dont take on snow, bolts that stay tight, fuel injection, carbs that are tuned rich like they should be, brake systems that dont freeze, cables that are selaed and require no lubing, great tires right from the factory, plastic that can take some hits before it breaks, logical suspension designs, etc, etc.

Oh well, ain't gonna happen.....looks like the CRAP will keep being pumped out and sold to sucker buyers.

Too bad....

Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

s2mikey- I'm just curious how many quads you have owned and what kinds? Did you have a bad experience? Just a guess.

So far so good for me. I just turn the key and go. People don't have to purchase the trailers, wheels, tires and stuff. That's the choice of the purchaser. I think most quads will go just about anywhere stock. People just want to make their quad look cool and for it to have a different look than the neighbors quad.

Really, it's like anything in life. You have to watch your wallet because people are always inventing new ways to get into it. Cars, boats, houses, quads, snowmobiles, everything cost something. They all have their add-ons and some come with flaws. Some have more flaws than others. There is alot of money to be made in the powersports business. Parts and accessories are priced high for sports like atving, boating and snowmobiling. There is also a lot of money to be made to fix all these machines. People have to try to be a smart consumer. (label because we consume) If people do their home work, they can buy a reliable quad that would not require a lot of maintenance. If they do their homework, they can buy that machine at a good price. If they do their homework, they can choose a dealership that will treat them right. If they do their homework, they can avoid most inflated cost. If they do their homework, they will choose to buy an atv from a company that stands behind their products. People need to learn to be smart consumers. Everyone needs to do their homework. Then there will be less complaints.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

don't forget to take your anti-depressants. What kind of machine do (did) you own?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

What was the point of this???? Someone needs a woman.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mostly disagree. I have never had any machine I have owned let me down, ever! Not even a flat tire. You can see my list below. Pick a good machine, and maintain it like your life depends on it, because it just might! In fact, I am constantly amazed at the abuse my bikes take, and keep on going. As for the money, that is a given. If you can't afford it, sell out and go buy some snowshoes. I have one local dealer that is pretty good, but the other is terrible, so I kind of half-way agree on the dealer part of your post.

You have a Brute Force, right??? You bought the first year of an untested, new machine (only do that if you are getting a Honda!). You took your chances, and it didn't work out. Most of my Hondas were the first year models, and several were the very first machine of that model that the dealer got in. No regrets here. You tested the new BF for everybody else. Everybody else will benefit from your expensive experiment.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you wanted to ride instead of wrench, you should have bought a Honda utility atv.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

I'm just curious how many quads you have owned and what kinds? Did you have a bad experience?
First Quad since I was a kid. BF 750. The motor is great, but it is riddled with what I consider avoidable, "Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word ling" problems. Runs way too lean, even with the needle update, runs hot, airbox seals poorly, choke lever made of paper mache, stock wheels and tires were unusable, low speed misses and pops, leaky engine seals, shifter linkage needed adjustment, etc, etc.

None of it is catastrophic per say, but WTF? I bought a top of line new machine. Who does their testing? Do they even start the thing? My guess is no. They get slapped together like toasters and then promptly shipped out to suckers like me who fall for the new model, big power line. They went fishing and I bit big time. Good point about the educated consumer thing, but it's hard to do that when it's in the showroom becasue you have no idea what the real deal is. Everything looks and seems great when it has zero miles on it.

I'm just shocked at the "shut p and deal with it" responsesI keep getting. Apparently noone thinks that spending $7500++ dollars entitles you to top quality and intelligent design. Well, I do, and all of the "just accept it" people must have real low standards.

Thanks for the reply....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prospective buyers be forewarned......