Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best Atv for my son

Old 02-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Atv for my son

i understand what you saying but i can under stand if you are 15 or 14 and buying a 300ex or 350 raptor or warrior but for a 10 year old not no banshee for sure

Old 02-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yes BUT... we can't on one hand claim to be interested in safety standards, and lowering the injury stats.. and advocating non compliance with the CPSC guidelines on the other. Even though they are voluntary... they are being adopted into law in many states. Many of us, myself included, think they need to be reviewed... and if they stick with the age versus size yardstick, then put some means in place that allows a person to move up in class if they can demonstrate a certain level of skill.

I admit to buying "Up" for my 9 year old..an 80 mini instead of a 50.... and it was a mistake. So I fully understand the argument from both sides. But would I consider a full sized machine, let alone a banshee for a 10 year old... NOPE. I don't care if he was the next Jeremy McGrath.. no way would I do that.

I agree that at 15 we are getting into gray area though... but the deal is this. Kids are kids. they want more, faster, jump higher, and to be the king of the hill... Well, as parents, we don't promise them that they can always get their way. We have a certain responsibility to ensure they live to an age where they can legally make those decisions for themselves. Nothing more, nothing less. We have to be the parent...whether that pleases junior or not is irrelevant. They can always ride their bicycle or walk.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

The 300ex might be better incase he outgrows the blaster, but If i were him, I would want the blaster.
Good luck!
~Ryan

Old 02-25-2005, 11:31 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt They can always ride their bicycle.
Off topic but I was wondering if bicycle helmets are required on kids under 18 in all states or just out here in ca. Big drop in bicycles in my neighbor hood since that law was passed about 10 yrs ago.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Virginia is FOR helmets. It is a normal sight these days. Good to see too.... As for drop in bicycles, it could be several factors. Video games are one. Crimes of kidnapping and reckless driving may be another. To be frank, I am not sure I'd let my 9 year old do half the stuff we did as a kid. Then again, I grew up in a rural area, and we now live in a development where the roads are narrow, and many cars. In my day, we could ride on a road and maybe not see a car for over 5 to 10 minutes....

My 9 year old doesn't ride a bike. He takes his scooter and skateboard to the park to get his kicks with friends... Parent supervised of course.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Virginia is FOR helmets. It is a normal sight these days. Good to see too.... As for drop in bicycles, it could be several factors. Video games are one. Crimes of kidnapping and reckless driving may be another. To be frank, I am not sure I'd let my 9 year old do half the stuff we did as a kid. Then again, I grew up in a rural area, and we now live in a development where the roads are narrow, and many cars. In my day, we could ride on a road and maybe not see a car for over 5 to 10 minutes....

My 9 year old doesn't ride a bike. He takes his scooter and skateboard to the park to get his kicks with friends... Parent supervised of course.
Out here it was one day 20 kids on the street, next day 7 kids. My boys thought the helmets looked stupid. They are better now and much more affordable, i wasnt going to make them ride their bikes, they started walking. Im still split on the law, i was able to live thru riding a bicycle with out a helmet. Kind of my feelings on the atv/cpsc deal. Kind of bugs me that we have to be protected from ourselves because of the down right stupidity of a few. I know it is necessary now, just makes me sad.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

my first quad was a 450 lb polaris 4x4 that had 330cc. I could handle that fine and i was 14 and weighed like 90 lbs. I think he shouold be able to handle a 300ex fine. He prolly grow out of it quick tho ao I would get him a 400ex.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

sorry, I am not up to it today... congratulations... you win... we are all stupid for trying to change the injury trends and save our sport from some that make decisions other than ours, or that the law allows... I wish your son good luck and God speed. I have been defeated by superman.. and his side kick super boy..

Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Honda 250ex

Old 02-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
sorry, I am not up to it today... congratulations... you win... we are all stupid for trying to change the injury trends and save our sport from some that make decisions other than ours, or that the law allows... I wish your son good luck and God speed. I have been defeated by superman.. and his side kick super boy..
About time you caved in, trying to be the voice of reason. Now this kid is 13, 5', 100#. I see no reason why he can't have a Yamaha YFZ450. Except swap out the engine for a Yamaha R1 1000cc sport bike. Then maybe nitrous injection for a little extra edge. No helmet, heck no clothes! What can happen?

Seriously, the kid is 13, why buy a super quad now? Ride something for a few years, there's always time to move up when you're older, bigger, experienced, maybe even smarter

I don't know if this came out right, but I agree with you.

Search this Thread