Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

660R Raptor For My First ATV

Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660R Raptor For My First ATV

I havent got to sit on a z400 yet but I have got to set on a ds650 and man is it big. lol But I think im still going to get the z because im thinking that the ds is to big for trails. Sorry I keep talking I just want to get my atv but I cant till may and it is killing me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] lol

Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

I have a buddy who is 6' 3" and weighs 280 lbs. He just bought a 04 limited edition Z-400, and it seems to pull him around pretty good. As I was looking it over I noticed the Z has a weight limit of 243 lbs. Says so right on the left rear fender on one of the safety decals. I would consider this before you go out and buy one. I ride a Z myself and love it, but I am 6' 5" and 180 lbs. I wouldnt buy a raptor, but I probably wouldnt buy a z either if I was in your position due to the fact that you would technically be overloading it. Another friend of mine has a TLD edition Predator 500, is of similar stature to you, and really likes it. Im not a big polaris fan myself, but that may be a good compromise between the 400 and 660. Whatever you do, It needs to be YOUR choice, and you need to get something you will be happy with-good luck. KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I think the weight ratings on most machines are a joke... I weigh in at a not too portly 300 pounds of back snapping muscle... (really I do have some in between my toes I think.. that is if I could see my toes) but any way.. I ride the 9 year old's Raptor 80 all the time and have a blast doing it... About the only makes and models that can carry that range are the upper class Utilities... and rated or not, if I want to ride my Raptor 660 or Warrior until is screams for mercy... I am going to do it. The machines at least have no problem with the weight... so I am not sure they are scientific or not. It may be more of an issue for teh tires than the machines.

Glad to see he has moved back to a more reasonable choice for his first machine.

HiLuckyB, stop thinking about the purchase, and start laying out your riding plans... Get hooked up with a riding class now... it might take a while to get in. Do your drooling over color matching helmets, jerseys, riding pants, boots etc.... that should keep the brain cells active for a while. See if your dealer will let you pay down on it now, so you can make sure he doesn't sell "YOUR" bike during the waiting period.