Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

what's best for me

Old 02-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's best for me

I will be doing some trail ridding. Some sowing of to friends. Some just playing around. Ocasional mud but not afraid to throw some mud. I was just wondering what would be best for me. Looking for something that has electric start and has reverse. Not looking to spend lotsa of cash. I was thinking about going with a raptor 660. I know it's big for starters but i think it will be good for me as i am 230 lbs and 25 years old. I want to have the power when i want it. I have always ridden on friends atv such as grizzly 660 and honda's. I like the 4x4 feature but think you can do just about anything they can do with just a little extra practice. Let me know thanks

Old 02-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How tall are you?

I think the Raptor is narrow, tall, and tippy. That motor will pull to the moon though.

The Z400 is by far the best all-around machine currently available. When you are ready for more power, the motor hops up really well.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Trailblazer

WHAT IS THE Z 400. I AM A NEWBIE SO BARE WITH ME. i AM LOOKING FOR A BIKE THAT HAS REVERSE AND ELECTRIC START. DOES IT HAVE THAT. LET ME KNOW. lAST HOW MUCH CAN YOU GET ONE FOR USED. i AM LOOKING NOT TO SPEND TO MUCH

Old 02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

A Z400 is a Suzuki Z400.
It has electric start and Reverse.

Start at a local dealership and pick up a atv/motorcycle trader magazine..the one with all the classified ads.

determine your budget before buying..

Old 02-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

are you looking for something with a good bit of power and good handling, or do you just want a good sport quad that has enough power to have fun with yet still handles well on trails. if you have a need for speed than the Z/kfx/dvx 400's (all the same thing) are a good all-around choice. plenty of power for trails and handle about as well as almost anything. you wont be able to beat a raptor in a strait out drag race against an equal rider, but you would be able to give it a decennt run for its money.

Z-400 398cc DOHC liquid-cooled 4-stroke electric-start w/reverse and 5-speed manual tranny. $5799 new! (average 3500-5000 used) depending on location.

Raptor-660R 660cc SOHC liquid-cooled 4-stroke electric-start w/reverse and 6-speed manual tranny. $6199 new! (average 3800-5500 used) depending on location.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

ya looking for something to handle the trails and have plenty of power to stand wheelies on command and just plain have fun show boating. But i also want to be able to go on the trails. I know it won't go as many places as a 4x4 but with some practyice i believe you can go almost everywhere as a 4x4. judt takes practice. correct me if i am wrong. i weigh aporxmite 230 lbs. about 5' 10" what do you think would be good for a raptor or something else. looking to spend 3-3500. will settle for alittle older for less price. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PmanX8
are you looking for something with a good bit of power and good handling, or do you just want a good sport quad that has enough power to have fun with yet still handles well on trails. if you have a need for speed than the Z/kfx/dvx 400's (all the same thing) are a good all-around choice. plenty of power for trails and handle about as well as almost anything. you wont be able to beat a raptor in a strait out drag race against an equal rider, but you would be able to give it a decennt run for its money.

Z-400 398cc DOHC liquid-cooled 4-stroke electric-start w/reverse and 5-speed manual tranny. $5799 new! (average 3500-5000 used) depending on location.

Raptor-660R 660cc DOHC liquid-cooled 4-stroke electric-start w/reverse and 6-speed manual tranny. $6199 new! (average 3800-5500 used) depending on location.
hes right..up until he said the Raptor has a DOHC..if it did it would rev faster than a YFZ or Preddy...in truth the Rappy has a SOHC liquid cooled 5 valve single at 660cc.

Like I said, if your local dealers allow you to test drive quads..hit them up first and see what you like and dislike!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

the raptor '660' is a single cam ? ok my mistake i always thaught it was a dual. sorry aboot that one. but anyways they are both great quads in their own respect. id say the Z is more trail friendly especially if your new to ATV's or dont have a lot of experience on them. the Z does a good job of keeping up with a raptor. if you really want to "Show Boat" than maybe you might want to look into a Predator. its a 500 (499cc) 4-stroke with plenty of wheelie power and great handling as well, the best thing about the predator is it looks like one MEAN sob (hense the name "predator")! the Predator is the same price as the raptor altho they are a bit harder to find Used! a predator will out-perform both quads listed above (arguably). but has different ergonomics than both and is just a bit heavier. i already know some people will get mad and flame me for saying the predator is faster, but im just going by what i see out on the trails all the time. good luck! and have fun with whatever you choose.

one thing you could do is go out and sit on, as well as test ride all the quads you are looking at, (the "best" is whatever you want the best to be).

Old 03-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

For that price range, you will see a lot of Warriors/Raptor 350's.... Decent bikes, old school (Warrior).. Updated and renamed Raptor 350. For your size, you should fit it quite nice. Adequate power.. bullitproof. Not the fastest, but will keep up with anything on trails... Where you seldom hit top speed anyway. At that point, you want to talk comfort, handling, ease of use. One machine you can count on never letting you down or leaving you stranded.