ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Thinking about a big bear... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/193924-thinking-about-big-bear.html)

Derk 03-02-2005 01:36 AM

Thinking about a big bear...

I'm thinking of getting a new big bear in the next couple of months. I need you opinions!

I owned a 03 Polaris sportsman, which I loved except for the transmission. It was a little big and bulky but I never got stuck and could switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive for mudding and just playing around. It was also stout enough to do some minor work around the yard with ease(pulling up small stumps and brush that would have been a pain in the butt by hand if even possible). Never scraped or bottomed out or meet anything it couldn't handle. I only had one complaint (and my reason for selling it) the transmission. I hated having to stop and put it into low to go through thick mud or cross deep water. The having to stop just cut back on the fun to me. That and the fact that one-day while about half a mile in the woods it locked up in reverse. I had to back my way out of the woods (not fun). Carried it to the dealer they unstuck it and said the linkage was out of alignment. Well 2 more visits back got me a few new parts and didn't help. It jammed before it even made it into the woods again. So after it jammed the 4th time it went back onto the sales market.

So basically here's what I'm looking for and I think the big bear might be it...

On/Off 4x4.................................So I can manage my way through mud but still kick it to 2 wheel to play around and kick the rear end around.

Manual trans..............................I like shifting and not having to stop to put it in a low gear to go through thick mud and deep water.

Speed not important..................I think I might be able to top out at about 35 in my yard and probably about 25 in my trails. My Polaris had never seen above 45.

Mild work around the house......Pulling up small stumps and shrubbery.

Decent ground clearance.........The Polaris 500 ho was great and I've rode a rancher it was a little short for my taste.

Price...........................................No t looking to spend 6-7 grand.

Is this ATV what I'm looking for or does anyone have any recommendations?

MrDumass 03-04-2005 05:41 PM

Thinking about a big bear...

Derk- the Big Bear is almost exactly what you are looking for. The models from 03 up have the push button 2x4 /4x4. It is a manual tranny, which btw I love to have the ability to shift as well. They are not the fastest quads. Mine will top out around 50 or so, but that is pushing it. The BB is great for work, its low geared for great stump pulling power. Torque and power are there for sure. The ground clearance on it is 9.7 inches. Which has been great for me. The overall cost for an 05 is somewhere around 5000. I think msrp is 5200. The Big Bear is a tough machine that has stood the test of time. They are basiclly bullet-proof motors and trannies. I use mine for work and play. It has been great in the trails. Very comfortable to ride. Just a tough machine and I would recommend it for what you are going to use it for. If you have any more questions or want some advice pm me or just post what you need. I've been around a few Big Bears for a few years now.