Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need for information pre-purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need for information pre-purchase

Let me pose a few questions for parents and anyone considering purchasing their first ATV. Would you find it helpful if you had one place that you could go to and find information on subjects like:

ATV Laws in your state
Size and fit of an ATV for your child

Training programs

Comparison between 4x4 utility models, and Sport machines.

How to judge your child's mental state to determine if htey are ready for the responsibility of an ATV

Riding gear, it's uses etc...

Pending legislation in your state.

Contact information (Locally)

Contact information for local legislators

Do you think this would be useful prior to purchase? And would you recommend the site to someone if they were looking for the same data?
Do you think this data should be made known to you prior to purchase (mandatory).

Old 03-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this data can be found out there, but you have to go looking for it in a variety of places. Might be helpfull if somebody put in all in one, convenient to find place???

Old 03-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

We are about to purchase a Bruin 350 and have been researching constantly for 2 weeks. Yes this site that you speak of would be great. We found all the info but had to hop around sites and copy and paste quite a bit. Great Idea! Any comments on the Bruin? 2004 new or 2005. 4040.00 otd and 4300.00 otd respectively.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a good idea for a site, but I would suggest that you widen the audience a bit by providing information that would appeal to all ATV buyers (not just parents).

A site like that would have saved me tons of time when researching my Rubicon. But now that the purchase has been made, I would like for you to include comparisons of accessories on this proposed site - things like trunks, winches, skid plates, tires, etc.

And post that URL as soon as possible, ok? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RSeb
That sounds like a good idea for a site, but I would suggest that you widen the audience a bit by providing information that would appeal to all ATV buyers (not just parents).

A site like that would have saved me tons of time when researching my Rubicon. But now that the purchase has been made, I would like for you to include comparisons of accessories on this proposed site - things like trunks, winches, skid plates, tires, etc.

And post that URL as soon as possible, ok? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
And bring some beer and some women too....

Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

What's that Whodat? just so you can get them to wash and wax the Spitts?

Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

Ya if you could compare every aspect of the majority of ATV's available to the public it would pratically be instant success...If only ou had this idea about a year ago...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Getting my hands on every make and model would be hard to do..and my vision is not really geared towards the mechanical aspects of the machines themselves.

My original goal would be to prepare a resource of information on the legal and ethical issues that parents go through when making purchase and follow on decisions. Things like why they should choose one SIZE/CLASS over another. What the local law says about it, and how it may affect their choice. What does their state require? Do they have to get a driver's license etc...

Also, hit on the available training issues and options. Why they need to think about it etc. Same thing on safety gear. Why a kid needs certain stuff.. what options are out there, and the advantages of each type.

What are the pitfalls a parent can avoid... like legal requirements for monitoring their child's riding etc...

All of this information is available if you know where to look, or how to ask the right questions. But for a new family, it can become a maze.. one that is impossible to go through without a lot of frustration. MY hope is to put this information in one place as a resource center. Not to re-write or compete with what has been put out already... but just to link up to it for a quick means of educating parents.