Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rear Trunk Seat or 2-seat ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Trunk Seat or 2-seat ATV

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm considering a 2 seat ATV like the Bombardier Outlander 400 Max, but I'm wondering if it would be better to get something like a King Quad and put a rear trunk seat on the back. I know this is illegal in most areas, but I'm willing to accept the risk. I suspect 70% of the riding will be single, but the other 30% will be two persons. How well do these trunk seats work, comfort, etc? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

Dritz,
Check out multi-rider thread
Shonk

Old 03-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dritz
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm considering a 2 seat ATV like the Bombardier Outlander 400 Max, but I'm wondering if it would be better to get something like a King Quad and put a rear trunk seat on the back. I know this is illegal in most areas, but I'm willing to accept the risk. I suspect 70% of the riding will be single, but the other 30% will be two persons. How well do these trunk seats work, comfort, etc? Advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Im not normally a proponent of 2-up riding on a single rider quad. The two biggest issues are driver freedom of movement to balance the quad and also the CG or balance of the quad in relationship to going over backwards as a result of to steep of incline or power - or both. Some machines have a large seat and the pax can sit ahead (barely) of the rear axle - which helps.

I have strong reservations about a single rider quad used for 2up riding when friends ask my opinion. I recieved near fatal injuries when we went over backwards on our Polaris 500 - with my wife breaking her arm. So I know to which I am speaking.

Several issues here-

One - with two people on a single rider quad (SRQ) egress from the machine if it tips over or goes over backward is much more difficult. One person almost has to wait for the other to move out of the way. With machines 4 times heavier than the operator there is no time to wait so someone is likely to get the machine on top of them. You will be on the horns of delima between providing a pax back rest or box vs. keeping a rear exit clear for egress.

Two - if the pax is not moving forward on a steep incline - but is instead resting comfortably against the back rest - there is little the driver can do to counteract that short wheel base without sitting on the front rack. Rearward weight distribution is critical with short wheel based SRQ's. The additional wheel base of the factory designed two rider quads makes a HUGE difference.

Three - the pax has to have strong and secure hand grips and foot rests that let them have a good 3 inches of clearance from the seat to the inseam when standing on the foot rests. The pax can either add to the balance effort or substancialy take away from it. It isnt much help if limited only to the hand grips. You cant hang on and lean all that much without good leg support.

Four - Stability. You may have to upgrade the springs to stop the machine from rolling. The stock springs are not designed for two riders plus gear. Rolling to the side and/or being thrown from the machine represents 40% of ATV accidents. And a pax has a much higher CG then cargo strapped to the rack. Most of our body weight is above the seat - way above. So being under max weight doesnt always solve the problem.

Most State laws will not recognize a non-factory designed two rider ATV. You can modify it all you want - but it doesn't state "carry no more than ONE passenger" you may be in trouble. And trouble can come in the form of a ticket that gets reported to insurance in some states. It could be a very costly error in judgement.

My official opinion is to use a quad designed for two riders. Your wife or other pax deserve the safety considerations and other design enhancements of a factory 2up quad. You can compromise - but it is a compromise to all of your safety.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Ever consider a Rhino???

Old 03-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everybody for the advice. It was basically what I expected-common sense. Safety is paramount, and having the extra performance from one of the bigger machines (like the King Quad) is not that important. I need to buy two, and two Rhino's would be pricey. The Bombardier Outlander 400 Max seems to be ok, and is reasonable in price. I still need to do more research and actually check them out in person.

Thanks again for the help. There's a lot of good info that comes from ATV Connections forums.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

UH.. do you know what a Rhino is? It is made for two up sitting side by side in a mini truck configuration. It uses the same running gear as a Grizzly, and is very comfortable and safe for two persons. It would be cheaper than two quads...