Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Small girl with need for ATV thrills

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small girl with need for ATV thrills

Hello. I am a 25y.o. female with dreams of buying my first ATV. My dad had a three wheeler growing up, and i always loved riding on it. Now that I am older, I want to get my own adrenaline rushing vehicle for recreation. My question is what to get? I am 5'3", 118 pounds, I want something that is reliable and strong, more utility than sport, that won't break the bank. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions? I have heard that the Honda Recon ES or the Kawasaki Bayou 250 are both pretty good, any opinions? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the 250cc sport/ute class, the top two would be the Suzuki Ozark and the Honda Recon. These two are quite a bit ahead of the others for total package - reliability and performance. The Ozark usually beats out the Recon in direct shootouts - mostly due to having front disc brakes, a slightly larger engine, touch more ground clearence and suspension and the convienence of starting it in gear - however, in reality the two are very close to each other. The Recon is available in 5-speed auto clutch or the ES model. The Ozark only comes in the auto-clutch 5-speed.

Both Honda and Suzuki make 'sport' versions of these same two quads: Honda 250EX and Suzuki 250Z. Most agree that the 250EX is a better bike than the 250Z, but here too, not by very much.

Either of these two would fit your size and are available in the $3,500 range. I've seen many one to two year old used bikes advertised for around $2,200 or so.

Jaybee

Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The Recon would be a great choice. It is a real kick to ride! But.......if you don't need the racks or the big fenders (for mud protection), you could get the Honda 250EX. It is basically just a Recon without the racks, so it is 50 lbs. LIGHTER. When you only weigh 118 lbs., 50 lbs. is quite a bit of extra dead weight!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frizzle,

Welcome from a fellow Rochesterian. Have you given any thought to what type of tranny you might want? Are you looking for new or used? I kind of like the Suzuki Eiger, although it is a bit bigger than what you mentioned. Have you gone to look at any quads yet?

Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like you are right on track what would probably be a great atv for you to start out with and who knows probably have years of enjoyment on. the only info i could give you is go to a dealership and ask them to test drive them and see which one you like better. i dunno much about the 250 utilities but i do know that a nice riding atv is very important to me specially when a person puts on 150 plus miles in a day you will be thankful for that. good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

250ex, z250

or the ozark/recon

perfect for what you descibe

welcome to the forums[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Quad Patrol

Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Gotta agree with the information you have been given[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] SO, far, no one is steering you in the wrong direction[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good luck with your selection[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and most of all have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Wolverine .. sport utility .. you've got 4x4 and sport machine all in one. And there's a gazillion hop-ups for it if you get bored with the power .. just another choice to consider

Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Yes, if you are going to ride in any mud then 4x4 would be a plus. Also, some of the bigger machines (especially sports unless you just really need a rack) have a more plush suspension which may be a factor as well. Cost a little more but they are easier on the body.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Take a good look at the Honda 250EX. There a blast to ride and a awhole lot more fun than a utility.

Quick Reply: Small girl with need for ATV thrills