Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Hunter/Fisherman/New rider, first purchase, need advice

Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunter/Fisherman/New rider, first purchase, need advice

Howdy. I am finally getting where I could use an ATV (yep, I'm getting older). I have been looking for the past year and would love to hear the thoughts from this forum. I am looking to purchase a 400 4x4 or bigger for me and a 250-350cc for the wife. I hunt in colorado and want something that will pull a bull elk out when I need it. I'll do some light ranch work with it and otherwise enjoy trail riding with my wife and friends. Reliability is the number one concern for me.

I have also "heard the following rumors" -

1. Polaris is great but has BIG maintenance issues as they get older.

2. Honda is great but power is limited. Least likely to need major repairs.

3. Suziki Eiger is top notch machine w/ no issues (I only know 1 guy who owns one)....

4. Artic Cat has a 300 w/ superlow that could pull a 747 uphill in a snow storm but most AC's have issues w/ breakdowns.

Any truths here or can I lay these to rest? Again, this is just things I've heard around the campfire.

What models do you recommend?

Thanks for the help
Mac
Soon to be ATV rider[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunter/Fisherman/New rider, first purchase, need advice

Sounds like you need a Suzuki Eiger. I have one, I hunt, I fish, I trail ride, I use mine for some work, I keep up with any 500 or 650 on trails or in the mud. It's good because it's a simple machine. No it doesn't have independent rear suspension or a front locker but it will keep up with machines that do. Just check out the Suzuki board on here and ask about the reliabilty, they are probably the most reliable quads out there right now, yes even better than the Honda. I bought one because of the comments on this sight about how great a quad it was, and because it won most of the shootouts in the big atv magazines, not to mention it was way cheaper. Get the manual, if you buy this month you'll get the 2 year warranty. You can probably get 2 Eigers for the same price as you could get a 400 and 250 in other brands. Hope I have helped you, got any questions just pm me or make a reply on this board.