Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

i have narrowed it down to 2 bikes please help me pick!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have narrowed it down to 2 bikes please help me pick!!

Ok i have choosen my 2 bikes that i want there both used and i cant decide wich one to get ok a 250r that had reeds, pipe, bored .20 over, holeshots, airfilter, carb jetted, and handle bars, and a gaphics kit , poder coated frame the hole bike gone through and everything!! i dont know if its extended or not!

or the stock z400! i do alot of mx racing and need one thats reliable and fast on the track!

im worried about the 250r reliability!! since its an 86 model!!

i dont want anything thats going to break down on me atleast for a year od MX racing i can handle a clutch leaver or bearing (not in the engine) going out or something like that i just dont want any engine trouble!!! how do i tell if the r is running good and not a piece od junk that looks good just to sell it to me i will ride it first!! but is there anything to look for when i go buy it???

and the z400 is stock!!

i need something thats reliable and fast on the track!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!

THANKS

Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

whats the main thing's that goes wrong woth the R and the Z???

Old 08-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a "project" bike, get the R. If you want to ride your bike, rather than work on it all the time, get the Z. The Z engine is tame in stock form, but hops up real well!

Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: reconranger
If you want a 'project" bike, get the R. If you want to ride your bike, rather than work on it all the time, get the Z. The Z engine is tame in stock form, but hops up real well!
I agree with recon on the "R" being a project bike. The Z in stock form is a well built bike. It has decent power through the entire powerband and rides decently too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There are many ways to improve the power too.

As far as what goes wrong; Only thing I have done to mine, is put in a Hinson clutch basket, when I replaced the clutch plates. Read some where that the stock basket lacked enough openings to move oil decently. Which can cause your clutch to live a shorter life. After comparing stock to the Hinson unit. I have to agree.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

good advice so far,,,got to agree

i say get both

race the 250

ride the 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Bing
good advice so far,,,got to agree

i say get both

race the 250

ride the 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now your talking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

ok i race so i would want the 250r??? I also like to ride in my spare time if i bought a completly rebuilt R would i have any problems i found a couple that are pretty nice for 3500 ----4500 something like that i can afford that! and i need a good bike thats not going to give me many problems!!! and thats the best for the track!

Whats the main thing that goes wrong with the r???? I just dont want anything to go wrong with it for atleast 50 hours or so of riding it i can put a new piston and rings in it no problem!!! but i dont want the freeking tranny falling out on me whats the major thing you half to watch for on the r???

And in yalls oppinion should i get the R or should i get the Z PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks for everything so far!

Old 09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

I would say it comes down to whether or not you prefer 2-strokes or 4-strokes. I own the R, and honestly the only probelm i've had with it was solved by regapping the spark plug. I think some people may over exaggerate the mainenance required for the R. The R is a lot of fun to ride, i personally love the 2-stroke power band, so i would say go for the R. Plus if you do it will be somewhat unique, not everyone will have one.

I almost forgot to mention. They are fast!!

Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

If you can get all of the "bugs" worked out of the 250R it can be an extremely reliable ride.....just maintain it! Premix your oil correctly, properly jet the carb, clean the airfilter frequently, change the tranny oil frequently, and watch your coolant. It will be reliable if you take care of it. The powerplant in my R was bulletproof even before I completely overhauled the engine. My bike fires first kick every time, not too bad considering it is older than a lot of the people on these forumns!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

I would go with the Z it is really fast and responds very well to mods. Im not much of a honda fan and have never seen a 250r so i cant speak for it. But i've heard that the Z does a great job on track. doug gust races 1. Get an '05 or '06 they have a 37mm carb opposed to the '04 which has a 36mm carb i've heard there is a big difference.

Quick Reply: i have narrowed it down to 2 bikes please help me pick!!