Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bombardier DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier DS 650

Hey everyone,

I live in Vegas and plan on mainly doing desert trails and some steep hill climbing. After a bit of research, I've decided to go after either the Honda 400EX or the Suzuki Z400. However, I recently found a really good deal on the Bombardier DS650. I've never ridden a Bombardier before. How does the Bombardier compare to the Honda 400EX and the Suzuki Z400?

Old 08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, BTW. This is basically what I'm looking at:

2001 Honda 400EX
2001 Suzuki Z400
2002 Bombardier DS650

All are the same price. Which would you choose?

Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Do you need reverse? The DS doesn't have reverse. It's a pretty big bike, 500 lbs but plenty of ground clearance and travel, best suspension of the three IMO, also the biggest. The DS has a LOT of power with more available with mod's. I haven't ridden the other's you mentioned but I'm sure the DS is fairly larger in frame. It's very stable and takes some getting used to if you on tight trails. Might also depend on how big you are. I'f you're 5' 6" 150, I'd stick with the Honda or Suzuki. It's a fun quad when you get used to it.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the DS isn't very good at manipulating through tight trails? I'm a fairly big guy (6'1" 240lb), so I don't think the size of the bike will be too much of a problem. I'm also a novice when it comes to riding. Haven't ever had my own bike to go out there and practice on. Is the DS not a good novice bike?

Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the DS isn't very good at manipulating through tight trails? I'm a fairly big guy (6'1" 240lb), so I don't think the size of the bike will be too much of a problem. I'm also a novice when it comes to riding. Haven't ever had my own bike to go out there and practice on. Is the DS not a good novice bike? :>>>>>>

Well it is pretty fast and takes some getting used to. I was pretty much a novice when I got mine. I ride it on tight trails you just can't throw it around like the Suzuki or Honda. Being over 6 ft my guess is the DS would be the perfect size while the others will probably feel small. I'm 5' 10" 200+/- [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) and have no problems handling it but I'm also pretty socky as well. Yamaha has the Raptor 660/700(new for 06) which is kind of in the same class as the DS but again, it feels a bit small to me. My buddy has a 350 Raptor and I feel like I'm on a kids quad LOL. The DS is bulletproof as it was the ONLY quad to finish the Dakkar rally last year and rouitinely wins most long, cross country races.

You might also want to look at the Kawi V-force 700, its a fully automatic sport quad that is pretty fast as well but probably not as good of suspension as the DS. I almost got the V-force as a third quad as I was looking for another automatic for more casual riding but the dealer tried to hose me on my trade so I just went somewhere else and got a Rincon.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. You know what they say about opinions, they are like <blank> holes and everyone has their own. Try to research as much as you can first.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The latest issue of one of the magazines (either Dirt Wheels or ATV Action) has a review of the DS. I suggest you pick one up and read it.

My buddy had a DS, so I have put in quite a bit of saddle time on it (we trade off bikes all the time). It is a HUGE and HEAVY machine (over 500 lbs.!), and should be reserved for riders that are also huge and heavy. The suspension was the best thing on the bike. The rest of the ride was NOT a positive experience! It is big and wide, and a real dog on a tight trail. This bike is a cruiser for the wide open desert.

Frankly, in a day when the standard for sport bikes is 350 to 375 pounds, Bombardier should be absolutely embarassed to produce a machine that is 150 pounds to heavy!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Frankly, in a day when the standard for sport bikes is 350 to 375 pounds, Bombardier should be absolutely embarassed to produce a machine that is 150 pounds to heavy!
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;

WELL, in case you didn't notice the poster stated he was over 6' and over 200lbs. I'm 5'10" 200 lbs and those hondas and yamahas feel like kids quads to me, I feel terribly uncomfortable and honestly, don't feel nearly as stable on them as the DS. The DS comes in at 495 and is NOT buit for moto cross type racing, its a X-country quad that excels in dunes. Mfgrs. make quads for all types of riding, some for work, some for racing, some just for relaxing trail rides. It's all up to the individual to make an educated decision as to what they are comfortable with. You seem to have a real problem with anything over 400cc's.........Let me guss, you are 5'3" 140lbs?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I recall from the article I mentioned, the latest version of the DS comes in at 515 lbs.! Why start out your day with a 150 pound handicap over every other rider out there???

I don't know why the North American companies just don't get it. Why do they insist on huge heavy machines (like a 700+ pound Polaris), when the other companies heaviest sport bikes are 375 lbs. and utilities are 600? If they put a bunch of light aluminum parts on there, it would raise the price, so they sacrifice performance for a little better price.

Be sure you ride this machine before you spend your money!

Old 08-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up deciding against the DS. Don't think it will be appropriate for my needs which includes a lot of technical trails and steep hills. Handling is a must for what I'll be riding on. Everyone I talked to said that the DS takes wide turns. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Reconranger you need to have eyes checked. I've got the article right here in my hands. It says it twice, first: "weighing in at a claimed 495 pounds dry,..." and second in the "SPECS" "Claimed dry weight....495 lb." In ATV Action by the way. But for trailing it doesn't have a Reverse and it is a big machine. But, If you want to be faster than anyone else, it's without a doubt the DS. My friend has a KFX400 and a 400EX. The KFX would smoke it all day long. The KFX has a Pipe, Jet, and Filter. It's fast fast. It's your decision. But IMO the Z400.

Quick Reply: Bombardier DS 650