Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Advice: 05 Grizzly or 06 Arctic Cat H1???

Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: 05 Grizzly or 06 Arctic Cat H1???

I've talked this week and found several good deals on some 05 Grizzlys and some decent deals on new (but not in yet...) 06 Arctic Cat H1's. I ride dry/muddy/rocky trails and try to dodge the big holes. I'm coming off a 97 Sportsman 500.

Here's my take (the major stuff), now give me yours, please.

Grizzly
Pros:
Established machine, lots of power, good transmission
Longtime local dealer with good reputation
Good pricing ($6600 local, $400-300 cheaper 100+ miles away)
Everybody rides them
$69 winch deal
cheaper overall price helps justify bigfoot kit

Cons:
Almost a 100% guarantee that the 2007's will be completely different
Everybody rides them
front diff (have they resolved this?)
somewhat stiff suspension
$800!?! 3.5yr warranty (that is ridiculous, I wouldn't buy it)

Arctic Cat H1
Pros:
Looks good
Supposed to be super powerful and ultra durable
Nobody I know has one, I've never even seen an AC on the trails
supposedly a super good suspension
3yr warranty

Cons:
Nobody I know has one (maybe that says it all right there?)
Local dealer has only had them for 6 months, not sure that I trust their service or their longevity (I find this part to be a real big deal to me, I mean, who's to say that they quit selling them in 6 months and I'm screwed?)
An 06 is going to be at least $500 or so more than an 05 Grizz (money isn't everything, though)
They're a little on the big side for some of my tighter trails
I don't think they have the $69 winch deal going on right now, could be wrong
supposedly shaky at higher speeds

Alright, what am I forgetting?

Do I buy the tried and true everybody has one I'll just blend in Grizz? Or be the first to test the waters on a new H1 that I could possibly end up loving or hating?

I didn't think buying a new quad would be this hard!

Old 09-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

The Grizz is a great machine no doubt about it. However I just hate buying somethign and then they release a totally new version the next year making my machine look a lot older then it is. If you really want the Grizz, hold out another year.

The H1 is great. Price is going to be more, but you get the fancy bumpers and rims. Arctic Cat is not running the $69 winch deal now, but I imagine they will do that again, hunting season is starting after all! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The H1 does great at high speeds, when some people put new tires on them they are never ballanced and that is when the shaking comes in. Otherwise it is super smooth. Even better for 2006 is the engine mounts are redesigned over the 2005's to eleminate ANY vibrations. The H1 also has Arctic Cat's speedrack system, making it great for adding accessories. Not sure on the Grizz, but the H1 you can shift into 4x4 while moving. To use the diff locker you must be stopped, but once you throw that lever you are instantly in. Works flawless. Yamaha and Arctic Cat have the best CVT's in the ATV industry, they use constant tension belts. You will notice a big difference from the Sportsman. If you have any other questions on the H1, ask or go here Arctic Chat as there are about 12 H1 owners there. Sorry I can't help you out more with the Grizz. Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

the grizz is a GREAT machine it was actually my second choice. i don't own an H1 but it is built upon the same principles as my machine and you said you dodge the big holes well i know with the cat you don't have to dodge them. my buddy has a grizzly and and we noticed the cat to be better in the mud even though it is heavier. and one other thing just working on them i had to work on his grizzly cause well he accidently wrapped the winch cable around the front end and well buckled everything from the a-arm to the half shaft and the grizzly was very mean to work on. and from what i have had to work on the cat it is alot easier. they are bulkier then the grizzly's but once you jump on and get used to it there is no problems you get the feel for it fast. and if you tell the dealer i am spending X amount of money on a brand new atv and i won't buy it unless you throw a winch in well they will throw a winch in never failed for me i don't think i have ever had to pay for one.