Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer looking for tough durable ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never bought an ATV before but I have rode several. My last experiance has me really disappointed, as I not only got the Yamaha Wolverine 350 full time 4x4 stuck, I also bent the rear axle by turning too sharp and bumping a tree while in first gear. So I would like suggestions on which ATVs can take a beating and keep on moving.

I'm looking for something 350 or higher, selectable 4 wheel drive, with manual gear shift. Top speed isn't as important as turning radius and pulling/climbing power. I was extreamly disappoionted with the Wolverine's turning abilities but I haven't driven any other 4x4 to compare it to. Also I'm the type of person that will try to drive or climb over something simply because it is there, so I expect a 4x4 to be able to do it with breaking.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Swire:
For turning, I think the Kodiak 400 is pretty good. For everything else you mention-pulling, climbing power, tough, etc., check out the AC 500 manual shift. Highest rated rack capacities, highest torque rating-even more than the 600 Grizz! Damn good machine. 7.2" suspension travel at all four corners, selectable 2/4wd, disc breaks, 4.75 gallon fuel tank, 9.2" clearance.

I run the '00 Auto 'Cat, and just recently installed a set of 27" Bi/Tri Claw tires. This WILL climb over, plow through, or run over nearly everything you can think of. With the 27" tires, I've jumped up to 11" clearance at front skid plate, and 10" at lowest point on rear diff. Pretty good numbers there. Also, with the 27x9.75x12 Bi-Claws up front, it steers a whole lot better than stock.

If you're interested in how tough or durable they are, check out the AC forum, back about two months for the post on Auto's and Hard work. I've got a few stories in there of how hard I work my Auto, and not a single problem yet. Granted, this mine is an Auto, but many will argue that the gears are stronger than the belt drives, if that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about. Also, the atvconnection home page has had a few recent articles about the AC 500 here lately. Most recently, they put it up against the new Traxter XT-check it out if you haven't already.

Good luck in your decision-everyone that responds will have a different view for you, so the best way to go about deciding is to find the features that are most important to you, then go out and test ride each of them, find what fits you best, and go from there.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Old 10-23-2000, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

It also looks like to me that the Arctic Cat 500 manual would fit your needs almost perfectly. The only other atv's I know of with manual shift , over 350cc, switchable 2wd/4wd that I can think of are the Suzuki Quadrunner 500 and the Polaris Magnum. I'm not a real big fan of Polaris but my opinion really only counts when I'm the one signing the check. I believe the Arctic Cat 500 offers more features for the money than the Suzuki and they have the same powerplant. The 2001 A.C. 500 manual offers switchable 2wd/4wd, start in gear, disk brakes all around, true 4wd, highest rack rating in the industry, good factory tires ( Titan 489's ), full floorboards and more torque than a Grizzly 600. I'm a died in the wool Honda fan as far as machine reliability goes but I also think Honda needs to get with the program and offer switchable 2wd/4wd, true 4wd and a better braking system. I'm thinking about selling my Foreman 400 in the spring and if I do, I'll have a tough decision between A.C. and Honda. - Hope that doesn't get me lynched Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-24-2000, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

Go for the grizzly it has the toughness of a Honda with a suspension and alot of power with a 2*4 option.
It's a bit loud, that is all. When you ride the biggest i guess that is normal.
2000 grizzly.

Old 10-24-2000, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I ride a Grizzly, but I was going to suggest a Kodiak 400 4x4, or an Arctic Cat 500 4x4. But Cowboy beat me to it. I would have recommended a Griz, but if you haven't really done alot of riding it might be a bit much to start on. Don't get me wrong, the other 2 quads ain't no slouchs, they just aren't as heavy. Good luck

Old 10-25-2000, 06:58 AM
Trailblazer

Grizzly, Kodiak, BIG Bear, PICK ONE.. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/atv/atv.html

Old 10-30-2000, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

you're going to need to break open that li'll piggy bank for what you're asking
Can't help with the "Manual Transmission" unless you mean no clutch lever and shift with your foot like most all utility quads are. Stick with Honda Kawy or Yamaha on this one your asking for big boy demand. based on your discription you'll need around 500cc to be comfortable. 350cc is too puny for 4x4 demands. Stay away from Suzuki on this one. just plan on $6000, you'll need it.
above all pass on the 2 strokes.
Good luck