Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions....

Hi all - Just started looking at quads and don't want to get the wrong thing. What I'm looking for is something to use at the hunt club lease to create and tend food plots. This would entail having an implement on the rear (disc, harrow, small plow, spreader) and breaking ground. No real 'deep plowing' would be done, BUT, I'd be planting in areas freshly bushogged, with a fair number of small stumps (3"-4") and roots in the way. (-no, I don't have access to the tractor that did the bushogging) . I'm pretty sure that when I show up on dealer's lots, their models will be JUST THE THING.... according to the salesperson. I'm concerned about the durability of the transmission and drivetrain holding up under this sort of usage.
The other uses will be simply trail riding with my GF on the back, probably going pretty slow...Alot of the area is pretty low and wet, so I'd think a 4x4 to be a good choice. So - suggestions as to brands, models, accessories, etc. is what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any help ya'll could send my way..

Old 10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard alot of good things about the new kawasaki brute force, I haven't had any personal experiance on the bike but it sounds good. I've had experiance on the Yamaha Grizzly which was a pretty impressive 4x4 to me. Tons of power and a comfortable ride. Pretty quick for a 4x4 auto. The Suzuki King Quad is kind of a toss up for me, again no personal experiance on that one but have heard some bad things about it. Shop smart, test drive everything that you can and don't let anyone talk you into a bike you might regret. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1bad450r
I've heard alot of good things about the new kawasaki brute force, I haven't had any personal experiance on the bike but it sounds good. I've had experiance on the Yamaha Grizzly which was a pretty impressive 4x4 to me. Tons of power and a comfortable ride. Pretty quick for a 4x4 auto. The Suzuki King Quad is kind of a toss up for me, again no personal experiance on that one but have heard some bad things about it. Shop smart, test drive everything that you can and don't let anyone talk you into a bike you might regret. Good luck.
yea, he explained it pretty well. i liked the brute force a lot wen i rode it..... i like my grizz a lot....... but i dont fancy the sportsman too much for sum reason. idk, theres just sumthin bout it that i dont like. i dont feel comfortable on it. plus ive heard some complaints about it on these forums. i think u would be good with any of those quads though. just test them and see which ones u like the most.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Check out the Bombardier web site,they claim to out pull any big bore,they hooked up a pull sled to their 800 outlander and outlander max (two seater that's removeable).

Old 10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt go hog wild and get some big bore quad............you dont really need it
i would look at an arctic cat 400 or polaris sportsman 400.......of these the cat
they have the ground clearance you need along with enough power and dont cost a fortune

Old 10-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

With what you want to do with it with hunting, two up riding and hauling I think the best quad for you is by far the Polaris sportsman X2. Its a two up that can be removed to a cargo bed and lots of options of towing and hunting. second, another good choice is the arctic cat trv which is a two up atv with lots of hunting accesories and built in tow hitch.
http://www.arcticcat.com/atvs/lineup...19&s=119&m=727

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...n/SportsmanX2/

Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

In your search, don't over look the John Deere Buck. They have extensive information about this quad on their web site. I have heard that Bombadier makes this quad for John Deere. I looked it over recently and it looks like its designed for the type of work you are planning to do rather than trail riding and they have a hugh array of accessories. My second choice would be the Honda Rubicon or Rancher, both of which have the rear swing arm (vs the IRS on the big trail machines) which is better for heavy pulling and trailers. Both Honda and Deere should be reliable machines. I don't think you really need more than 500 cc's to do the work you have described, particularly with 4WD. For me, I've decided on the King Quad for trail riding to replace my Prairie 400. The Rincon came in second. I'm waiting for the 06's to come out.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

remember everyone. He wants to be able to go riding with his girlfriend on the back so legally there is only three machines that will qualify for this not counting prowlers, rhinos' rangers, the bomb 400 (800) outlander max, polaris x2, arctic cat trv.

Check out the Yamaha Rhinos, or Polaris Rangers, or Arctic Cat Prowlers. It maybe something just what your looking for. They are great workhorses and carry two to 3 people very well.