Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help - What to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - What to buy???

I've narrowed my choices down to three. I'll be using for light farm work, occasional hunting, and some trail riding for fun. I'm middle aged, so I won't be riding it too hard. Here's my choices:

2009 Kawasaki Prairie 360 - $5700
2008 Suzuki Quad AS400 - $5200
2009 Polaris 400 HO - $5600

All prices include a winch and ramps for the truck.

Any opinions??

Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the Polaris for it's smooth riding IRS and 455cc engine. But maybe I'm just prejudiced from owning Sportsmans for 12 years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No Cat in there???? Have you seen the possibilities with the speedrack for work, hunting, and riding? lol. My opinion is ride them all, and see which feels the best to you. There really isn't to much of a better than the other until you get into Kymco and other off brands from over seas. Stick to one of the majors and you will be happy. Look for 4x4, hitch for farm work (cat has a 2" reciever) again no pressure. And for trial riding any IRS quad will be the most comfortable. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Hello there....I just purchased my first atv at the age of 48..I found a used 06 with only 190 original miles....it is a 650 v twin kawasaki brute force....for $3,400.00...anyways I was not looking for a Kawai but thought it was a great deal and could not pass it up...I too just want it to guide with and to work at my camp...I was looking at the Outlander 400 Max....nice up seat and it is a work horse...my friend has one...not sure on the prices though....but might be able to find a last year's leftover...well hapy trails.....

Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

The Can-Ams are priced fairly high, but if you can find a good deal on one, i suggest you go for it. Personally, I would not go for the Prairie 360 due to many complaints and problems I have heard. The Polaris has more power, Independent Rear Suspension, and would be an all around better choice than the King Quad and Prairie. I think you should go for the Polaris because if you plan on having it for a long time, just because the older you get, the less shock and stress your body can take from bumps on the trail. So for safety reasons and to help you make a good choice, I say go Polaris.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Go Suzuki King Quad 400--but tell the dealer $4500--that is the local going price for '08 KQ 400 automatics. The KQ 400 (previously called the Eiger from 2002-2007) is a proven, reliable, durable, quad. Lots of aftermarket support/accessories. Admittedly, I'm biased.
My Polaris Predator was/is my first quad, and I learned from my experience--overall, aftermarket support and resale for Polaris is less than that of the Japanese4.
Not trying to start a flame war here, just being honest about my experiences. The Polaris Predator is an awesome machine, $ for $ a much better sportquad than what I could get from the Japanese4.
But the hassle is not worth it--metric engine but non-metric frame/body/chassis by Polaris. You'll need both metric and SAE tools, and will have lower resale, less aftermarket support, etc.
Remember, this is my opinion & experience--your experience may vary.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

KQ400Pilot has a point. The only bad thing is the KQ400 has a solid rear axle, and on a rough trail, in my opinion, it gets annoying constantly boucing around. I'd try to go for a King Quad 450, but thats a bigger price difference. But if you can afford it, go for it. The 450 has fuel-injection, independent suspension, more power than the 400, a locking front differential, and many other great features.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

i always thought for true utility farm type workhorse with no issues Honda was the way to go!!and V2rider arctic cat common REALLY????Isn't that like buying a Hyundai??

alright alright i won't bash A.C but i really belive the honda 420 is by far the best WORKHORSE with little problems simple works!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmmm. So little davey wants to start a brand flame. I won't even go into the subject of Polaris ATV problems. Lets step out of gradeschool and help the guy choose an ATV.