Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

work horse ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a work horse ATV

I have been looking at the grizzly and saw the KQ.

I will be using my ATV for a work horse, I am going to put a Swisher atachment blade and bucket for starters. I have a 98 wolverine 350 now and use it to pull a small trailer with a gen, air and welder, we also drag our property with it, but would like to get something that can do more work.. I may even put a 3 point atachment on the rear in time.

Any good imput on the units I am looing at or any I have not looked at? I am looking for something that is not confusing for my wife to use. We live in southern AZ and the ground is hard as a rock or slippery in the rains with red clay

My wife thought I was nuts buying an ATV for working on our 4 acres with the horses, but now I can not get HER off my toy.

It is a good time to upgrade as long as she is into using it also.

Don D.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default work horse ATV

For a pure work horse I would look into a Honda. With the gears VS> the belt.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default work horse ATV

Check out the Arctic Cat products. Durable and made to work, plus lots of utility add ons. They aren't the sportiest of quads, but they are capable pretty much everywhere.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default work horse ATV

The machine with a reputation as a work machine is the Honda Foreman 500. It has a time proven manual transmission. You can get it with ES push button shifting, if she doesn't want to foot shift. The Foreman isn't cush or plush, and it's power is all low end grunt, but you aren't out trail riding anyway.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default work horse ATV

That is the exact market Arctic Cat aims for with there ATV's. The H1 would be perfect for you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] They even have there own 3 point attachments. There racks are second to none in regards to space and attachments that connect to them, and you get a 2" receiver hitch.

My wife rides it with no problems, it is easier to use and understand then my Honda fourtrax.

Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default work horse ATV

Honda's are the best work machines on the market. That's the only thing that they're the best at, but they beat everything out in the work category. Don't rely on the folks in here that always seem to push their machine off as the best. I have researched every machine on the market and know most of each of their capabilities. I offer good and unbiased advise. For my type of use for an atv, honda sucks, but for a work machine they can't be beat!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Default work horse ATV

pegleg1az, what are the shortfalls of your Wolverine for your intended purposes? Are you planning to do anything with the new quad you are not doing already?

ppope, a blanket statement saying Honda's are great for work is kind of dangerous. Honda's flagship big bore, which is in the class of machine pegleg is asking about, is really aimed more at the sport/recreation side of the coin than utility. Many people say that Polaris is one of the better work utes, and an argument can definately be made for them, too. You don't feel the same way about your Sportsman?

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default work horse ATV

He never stated "big bore" but merely said he currently had a 350 and wanted more. Therefore the Honda foreman 500 and rubicon 500 would be more. The only big bore honda makes is the rincon and I would not reccommend it as a work machine. The best work machine honda makes is the 500cc forman. Air cooled, solid rear axle, geared low, shaft driven, no belts to slip,and plenty of power to pull anything he wants. Do I think my sportsman or even my grizzly are good work machines, sure, but not the best. For someone looking to buy an atv for work intended puposes, I would not reccomend either of my machines, because I know they're not the best, capable, but not the best. Honda makes the , most durable, capable, and dependable work atv available. As stated I give facts, and unbiased reccommendations. I don't own a honda, but If I needed a work machine I would!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default work horse ATV

ppope- that is exactly what I would say.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Default work horse ATV

Right, the Foreman is a great work quad, but he is looking at a 660 Yamaha and a 700 Suzuki. If he walks into the Honda dealership, the Rincon is the only quad that matches up cc wise. What you wrote could be misleading to an extent. Just for the record, you don't happen to be the only one that tries to give facts and unbiased recommendations. I have never owned a Honda, Arctic Cat, or Polaris. For the record, I would take the 500 AC/manual over the Foreman if those were the only two choices[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: work horse ATV