ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Buying an ATV adapted for disabled rider? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/243395-buying-atv-adapted-disabled-rider.html)

ATVAnnie 06-30-2006 05:15 PM

Buying an ATV adapted for disabled rider?

Hi,

First post.

Is anyone familiar with companies that modify ATVs for persons with disabilities?

ATV Annie

reconranger 06-30-2006 05:39 PM

What particular type of disability??? Maybe we can suggest some modifications???

An ATV rollover with someone who couldn't jump off, would be a serious accident!

motox26 06-30-2006 05:58 PM

THere is definately something for you out there, we need more detail tho.

I can't think of his name right now, but there is a former pro MX start that is paralyzed from the waiste down, and he still ride a modified dirtbike.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

ATVAnnie 06-30-2006 06:00 PM

The modifications are needed for a recovering stroke victim. He has limited use of his right hand; insufficient use to control the throttle. Need a modification to control the throttle with the left hand.

Scooter86 06-30-2006 07:55 PM

A few of the July06 mag issues have a custom built Rhino, I think it is for the owner of Pro Armor? Anyway, they listed a company in there that did some custom work on the controls for the rhino. Terrycable just released some new thumb throttles, maybe they could fab you a left hander? Any chance you could get this person in a side by side or one of those off road go carts?

ATVAnnie 06-30-2006 08:06 PM

This fellow I'm trying to help out has a 2001 Sportsman 500 he wants to continue to ride (he had a stroke 6 months and has come a long way towards recovery). He wants to adapt this Sportsman to his needs so he can continue to ride it...

v2rider 06-30-2006 08:53 PM

On the news, there was a disabled man with a specially built Polaris Sportsman. Some jack a** stole it, and Polaris gave the guy a new one. Some peoples kids.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

raidermike67 07-01-2006 12:23 AM

Try to contact Polaris directly.......I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction...couldn't be terribly difficult to switch over.

ss97 07-01-2006 03:31 PM

I would look into some way of just putting a thumb throttle on the RH side. There must be a way to modify a housing and design a simple thumb lever for the left side.

motox26 07-03-2006 10:11 AM

Originally posted by: raidermike67
Try to contact Polaris directly.......I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction...couldn't be terribly difficult to switch over.
I would do the same, that way it gets done right.

mywifesquad 07-03-2006 10:44 AM

Originally posted by: ATVAnnie
The modifications are needed for a recovering stroke victim. He has limited use of his right hand; insufficient use to control the throttle. Need a modification to control the throttle with the left hand.
Welcome to the forum ATVAnnie, I was just approached by a friend of the family who has a niece who just had her right hand amputated after a car crash. They were wondering the same thing, If anyone made a left hand thumb throttle? I was going to look into it and possibly make one for her if it isnt available already.

v2rider 07-03-2006 11:04 AM

It shouldnt be too hard, just run all cables up left handle bar instead of the right, and put the throttle on backwards.

Catterman 07-03-2006 11:33 AM

Originally posted by: v2rider
On the news, there was a disabled man with a specially built Polaris Sportsman. Some jack a** stole it, and Polaris gave the guy a new one. Some peoples kids.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
I remember this story. It was only last fall that it happened. The guy couldn't use his right hand, so Polairs made a twist throttle on his Sportsman. He could give it gas and brake with the left had with no problems, this is the way to go. Good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]