Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport quad for TALLLLL rider!?!? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport quad for TALLLLL rider!?!? HELP!

Hello all, I have recently decided that i am going to invest in a sport atv. I have ridden utilities and own 2 right now. But here is my dilemma... i am 6'3" and i weigh 180, so i need to find a sport quad to fit me. I am looking at used quads so im kind of on a budget. I have had my eyes on the likes of a raptor, z400 or 400ex, i just am trail riding, so what would you recommend for a tall rider such as my self?????????? I will go sit and feel some but i just wanna get a heads up on what is better for a taller rider, thanks!!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

For the riding u do, and ur budget, i wood say 400ex. But for your height idk sry. I dont rlly kno wut fits u the best.

-Cody

Old 07-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yamaha Warrior (now Raptor 350). While it is dated in design compared to the newer stuff it's a decent enough sport bike with few problems. A plus is that they have been around forever so used ones can be had for anywhere from the mid teens to mid 3K range. New they run right around 5K. Ergo's are set up with a long seat that fits tall riders. I've had two Warriors and am 6' - 2" and 200 lbs. I had room to spare to move around.

The Raptor (660 or 700), the Z and the EX are all better bikes than the Warrior, but cost more too.

Jaybee

Old 07-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

go with a 400ex or Z400, just go and sit on both and see what feels comfortable to u.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

The DS650 is perfect for your size. It's very powerful and has great suspension and will fit you like a glove.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Don't get something big becuase of your height. I did that already and it wasn't hte right thing to do.

I got a KFX700 last year thinking that I needed something bigger because I"m a bigger guy (6-2 and 230 something). HOWEVER that was wrong. Any full sized sport quad is going to fit you fine.

I would say one of the 400s, maybe an EX, becuas eyou can find them cheap.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I"m a bigger guy (6-2 and 230 something). HOWEVER that was wrong. Any full sized sport quad is going to fit you fine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>

I'm 5' 9" and my friends YFZ feels like I'm riding on a kids quad IMO. I coudn't even imagine putting in hours on that seat.

Trending Topics

Old 07-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, ive seen several 400ex's around here for 3000 or so, ive seen a raptor 660 for 3500, and never seen any used z400's... im 18, i work at lowes and i relaly dont feel like waiting to save for this, id rather just put a down payment and pay monthly, but is this possible with a used vehicle?????? or do i have to take out a loan form my bank or what??? Could someone please walk me through all this, im really confused... what would be the best thing to do, save for it flat out?? or pay monthly???

Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

i work at lowes and i relaly dont feel like waiting to save for this, id rather just put a down payment and pay monthly, but is this possible with a used vehicle?????? or do i have to take out a loan form my bank or what??? >>>

Yes, you'd have to arrange financing through your bank or through a dealer who might have used ATV's. Being 18 you might not have a long credit history so financing might be a problem. Another option would be to get a co-signer for the loan, this person would be responsible for the balance due if you were to default. You could ask a family member for a loan.

If you had a co-signer I'd suggest trying to get a new ATV because you might find a better deal on financing. Interest rates have jumped quite a bit so dont' be surprised if you're stuck with a 9% rate. Like anything else, if you are trying to get a secured loan(meaning the bank would hold your title until balance is paid) the bank will have to determine the value of the ATV to justify your loan, they won't give you $4,000 if they book it out at say $3,000.

I was able to get an unsecured personal loan from Wells Fargo when I was 19 for $2500 with very little credit history, I paid a high rate but also paid it off in about a year so this went on to establish credit for me.

Another option, although I don't recommend this, would be to apply for a Visa card, don't use it too much but make payments on time then request a credit limit increase. Again, you'll pay a higher interest rate but it will help you establish some credit as well. Most dealers will accept a credit card towards payment.

I think your best option would be a co-signer if you know someone who will and only borrow the absolute bare minimum you will need and agree to double up on payments.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raidermike67
I'm 5' 9" and my friends YFZ feels like I'm riding on a kids quad IMO. I coudn't even imagine putting in hours on that seat.
The V-force was more comfortable on the trails for sure. However it was a tank in tight turns on an MX track and it jumped like crap. I actually like that the YFZ is smaller. It's easier for me to toss around.

Quick Reply: Sport quad for TALLLLL rider!?!? HELP!