Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

upgrade, to what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade, to what?

I have a ds250 right now but i'm getting bored with the power and there are no mods for it except for nerf bars and an axle. I know how to work a clutch, and have about 30 hours of riding experience on dirtbikes with clutches. (crf150f, crf 230f, tt-r 125e, dr-z125, xr100) I am quite good at driving dirtbikes and quads and have jumped 33feet distance on my 250, but my 250 just doesnt have enough power to get enough speed to go off a bigger jump, it might be able to handle a 40 footer but thats the limit.

I am 14 years old, 6'1", and weigh 135lb and still growing. I would like to upgrade to either an lt-r450, ds650x, or an outlaw 525 but i cant decide which one.

+s and -s

outlaw525
+has irs (ten inches clearance)
+ktm engine 62hp (at the crank shaft) (i dont know how it compares in HP to other quads, but supposedly its faster than the 450r, yfz and the 700r for coming out of turns and going up a hill
-dont know if its reliable cuz its a first year
-its a polaris, (reliability?)
-no efi

LT-R450
+only 368lb
+suzuki
+efi
+just about race-ready
-doesn't have as much ***** as the outlaw525
-doesnt have much clearance
-no reverse

DS650X
+race ready
+looks sick
+amazing suspension (12" front travel 11" back travel)
+has about as much ***** as the outlaw525
+rocksolid reliable rotax engine
-heavy
-no reverse
-no efi
-not much clearance

Old 09-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well to pick from those 3 I would go with the LTR 450. It handles good and I personally love FI on a quad. Stock may not be as powerful as some but thats what mods are for. I would also like to wager a cookie that the 525 Outlaw doesnt come in at 62HP lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure it does have 62hp cuz its a ktm engine and the ktm 450 even has 59horsepower

Old 09-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazy1291
I'm pretty sure it does have 62hp cuz its a ktm engine and the ktm 450 even has 59horsepower
Not questioning that the dirtbike has that power but as with other dirtbike motors that made there way to quads they get detuned for various reasons. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

why would anyone want to make an engine weaker? thats the saddest thing i've ever heard

Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you are a CDN and want to root for the home manufacturer, but at 135 pounds, the DS is way to heavy for you. I'm 200 pounds, and find the DS to be an absolute tank, even in the wide open desert (much less on a forest trail)!

What the Outlaw will be like is an unknown at this time, so you are taking a chance there. And like you said, with any Polaris it's buyer beware. By the way, they measure dirt bike hp at the crank, and quad hp a the wheels, so that 62 hp is inflated..........

Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Any reason you don't have a YFZ or 450R on your list? Or you could wait for a KFX450 which has both EFI and reverse.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

if the kfx has both efi and reverse, that would be the way to go, but im not sure how wide it is, i would not want a narrow 45" quad

If i got a 450 i would want fuel injection so there's no stupid jetting

i dont really like the 450r, i dont really like the way it looks, its just not pointy enough like on a raptor, ltr, and preddy
If the yfz had efi, i would liek it better than the other quads

why do you think a ds650 is too heavy, my ds250 is also a tank, its only 66lb difference, and would a 495lb quad wheelie/flip that easy if you dont drop the clutch and gun it.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

recon you are right for a 14 year old kid on his first clutch quad the ds is way too heavy to control and the steering is touchy and if you can't control it then you will seriously get yourself hurt...The ds is wide I belive about 50 in and has tons of torque the suspension is really plush with the long travel that it has and has great ground clearence and I absolutely love the ds but you better know how to control it or else cya its not little by any aspect and yes the ds would flip if you can't control it...The polaris outlaw isn't going to have 62 hp as it was mentioned because it was most likely measured from the crank now the rear wheel on the dirtbike...I would wait on the outlaw to see if there are any defects and I wouldn't buy a polaris 2nd of all...Check out my pics I just got a 450r and love the thing even though it doesn't have efi so what then you just learn how to mess with a carb...The yfz is nice also but I didn't like the ergonomics as much...You can go with a raptor 660 or 700 but the early model 660's had tranny problems...I would get a 400ex or a z400 for your age and if you are looking into motocross and know how to work on engines maintanence wise go with one of the 450's since they are made to race.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

how is the predator, is it any good or is it a piece of crap quad, cuz of the weight. cuz i liek the way it looks and it does have good reviews, and its only 8699 for the 07

Whats so hard about quads with clutches? they cant be much harder to just drive than dirtbikes, how long did it take you to master just plain driving/turning on your first quad with a clutch? if it takes less than 50h riding time it shouldnt be a problem

But whats up with recommending a 660r over a ds650, the 660r is way more dangerous with the light front end, and its faster. What do you mean by touchy steering, do you mean bump steer like when you hit a rock your steering goes wacko, i know all about that, my ds has terrible bump steer.

sorry for arguing with you but you dont know what its like to drive a ds250 until you've driven on, they have terrible ergonomics, lots of bump steering, are heavy when they flip over top of you. (yes, i've done that, override in reverse is more dangerous than you think) If your saying that its hard to turn around a ds650 when you get stuck in a dead end (no reverse on the ds650) i could probly still lift it up.
Dont tell me why it would be hard for me to handle one, tell me why you think its harder to handle than other quads, tell me how it compares to other quads.

Quick Reply: upgrade, to what?