Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a new 4x4, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 4x4, need opinions

I think a 400 for your wife would be a great machine and the 650 should be just fine, you can always ad an exhaust and map the EFI on the 650 for a little more power. I've had a 330 and now have an 800.

I have to let a lady friend ride my 800 this coming weekend <yikes> because she can't ride the DS and one of her friends is riding the Rincon.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

How long have you had your 800? Have you ever had a close call as a result of the extra power? Frankly, there were times in the fine red sand of Southern Utah where I felt the 400 bomb was underpowered. We both stalled out a couple of times where more power would have easily pulled us up the dune. And most of the time I was unable to make up any ground on my wife (to my surprise). Do you like the Can-Am 650? I've looked at them and the Grizzly, and the Grizzly seems a little more refined from the engineering aspect, as well as having a more linear power curve. I am thinking of getting either the Griz or the bomb 650 first and riding it a while before I make a final decision on the big bomber. Again, I welcome your input, and thanks for the reply!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Martel, you really should post a seperate topic to ask your questions, you will get a lot more responses that way.

Spoon1, those are pretty good prices on those Polaris quads. I always wonder why Polaris blows them out at the end of every year like that though. All the other manufacturers might throw out the occasional deal, but nothing like Polaris, hmm.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats where Can-Am and Arctic Cat make their money, they offer a "standard" 3 yr warranty, which they get the money for by asking a higher price for their quads. But i will always like ACs Utility Quads

Old 10-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

How long have you had your 800? Have you ever had a close call as a result of the extra power? Frankly, there were times in the fine red sand of Southern Utah where I felt the 400 bomb was underpowered.>>>>>>>>>

I've only got about 10 hrs on my 800 so far and the power is very managable. In fact that was one thing I noticed first when riding.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, that's good to know. And you are right Scoot, but I am not in any hurry....I like the CanAm 3 year warranty. But warranties are like contracts, they don't mean a thing if the company is not honest. I have read some things about the canAm being more in the shop than on the road, and poor warranty response. But I take them with a grain of salt, knowing that a lot of gamesmanship takes place behind the scenes. Does anyone have a comment on the warranty service of the CanAm? Thanks, MARTEL

Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

From what i hear, its like ACs 3 yr warranty. If you have the right dealer, anything can be covered[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

take that 3 year warranty and hang up on ur bathroom wall next to the toilet paper, read the fine print on ur warranty, nothing is covered if the ATV is abused in any way

Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Only a real brainiac is going to say "oh, the engine went when i had it under water and held the throttle pinned for 15minutes to get through it, after i decided not to change the engine oil, and hit the nitros a couple times"

Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Back to the topic. I would stick with the Kodiak. I have a 03 Polaris 600. My stepson rides it. I bet it has not been ridden more than 15 times since new. If it were to catch fire right now I would roast marshmallows. I am trying to get it ready for a trip to Windrock in a week and a half. It just had a tune up, needs tie rod ends, front and rear wheel bearings, front and rear brakes, and a left rear cv joint. In the past year we have; replaced the foot wells, speedometer, radiator hose, and some of the wiring that melted. We also had to make and weld on a bracket to put the handlebars back on. Yeah, its a lot of fun on the trail when your handlebars brake off in your hands. Also the plastic is broken in a few places.
Now, I am sure that you are thinking, it was abused. Well, it was ridden on trails behind my Foreman and Rincon when all this happened. Total repairs needed to the Hondas during the same time..............zero.

Quick Reply: Buying a new 4x4, need opinions