Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a new 4x4, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 4x4, need opinions

Okay, I currently have a 2001 Yamaha Kodiak with 26" 598s and a ramsey winch. I have been totally satisfied with this bike as far as reliability ( and i beat the crap out of it) and I am only interested in a new one because I found a real good deal.

I found close out 2006 Polaris 800 for $6300 out the door or a 700 for $5600. I have had NO experience with polaris, and know very little except the brand bashing that goes on.

So, should I make the change or wait (I don't have to have it, just seemed like a killer deal)?

Which one and why?

Last, do polaris have any problems with 4x4 in reverse in big mud holes or climbing logs.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

things to consider and think about. If your a mudder, like me, not much will keep up to a polaris in the mud holes. it is a monster with TONS of power that will make you never even want to sit on that kodiak again. One issue ive had with new machines is EFI. On paper sounds nice, but to me, doesnt belong on an ATV. I got excited bout it and picked up the efi and fried sooo many sensors that left me in the bush from playing in swamps, mud etc. So I traded for an older polaris 700 but with a carb and no issues yet. Reliability issues with polaris: As with any brand, they have issues. Pre 2002, I would stay away from all polaris. Anything newer than 2002 seems to be hanging in there tough. Im on my 3rd, and like you, i POUND it. performance wise, ya, that 700 ROCKS! you wont understand how you managed to ride a 450 all this time. But if you have the option of a carb model, id go with that but they stopped making them in 2005 i think. they perform better off the line than efi (dont let the dealer tell you any different) but a little less on the top end than efi but at 60/65mph, who cares.

The kodiak is as solid as they come in my opinion and that will be hard to beat on the reliabity side. the onyl comment i can make is i ride all the time with a huge group and my polaris(s) dont break down anymopre than any other. This past weekend was 3 yammies we towed home, the weekend before was the Bombi outlanders. the week b4, probably me. In my experience, Polaris also has AWESOME service. My thoughts, go for it! But if you beat on it like I do, any bike will have an issue now and again and thats just aprt of the game. but polaris wont have any more issues than yammy, bombi and honda, well, they justr cant make it through anything rough enough to hurt their bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: poweraddict
But if you beat on it like I do, any bike will have an issue now and again and thats just aprt of the game. but polaris wont have any more issues than yammy, bombi and honda, well, they justr cant make it through anything rough enough to hurt their bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Bullsh!t....the shops make no money on kodiak repairs...it just don't happen!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Then right harder. Kodiaks are very tough, but to say it just dont happen means you dont ride hard enough. Driving it hard and fast is one thing, but putting a machine to the handle bars in mud and swamps twice a week everytime out, you will end up breaking sometihing. Perhaps we have a different prespective of what pound on it means. I havent seen 1 bike hold up to the pounding we give them for long extended periods of time. Just trail riding and hitting the occasional mud hole, ya, most bikes will be nice a reliable for a long period with no issues. But serious mudding all the time... no way. Kodiak was my first "UTE" atv btw so im not brand bashing.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

not much will keep up to a polaris in the mud holes. it is a monster with TONS of power that will make you never even want to sit on that kodiak again.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

Except an Arctic Cat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I prefer to balance my fun factor with the responsibility factor. Having crashed on two different nearly new machines I have a new found respect for balancing my "fun". Two broken ribs, concusssion, nearly broken hip and jacked up shoulder the result of two crashes, not to mention the damage to the machines.

Having over $20K invested in a few machines I want these things to last as long as possible.

I don't get the "mud factor" just doesn't interest me and the clean up sucks, also harder on the machine in the long run IMO.

I like mountain climbs and mountain trails/streams to ride through. I'm not crazy about rock climbing, again rough on the machine and too slow for me. I do however appreciate having an ATV that CAN ride through these conditions when they are warranted. Never been dune riding but there is a rock quarry near me that has mountains of loose gravel that's probably pretty similar to sand (sure sucks the HP from these machines though).

Bottom line is to be patient, do your homework and make sure you get the right machine for the type of use it will be used for.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

This post has really went in the wrong direction. Maybe I wasn't clear about my riding style. I like to ride fast trails at times (with other 4x4s, NOT sport bikes, My tires beat me up but I would not trade them.) I always end up in water deep enought to float the front end and at least mud up to the top of the tires. I frequently attempt mud holes that everyone else was stuck in, just for fun. Some small hill climbs, but no mountains where I live.

I basically found what I thought was real good deal. I don't have to spend any money, but I wouldn't mind the IRS, more power, and the theoretical benifits of EFI (I too wondered about all the extra sensors and how they would fair in water.)

So, Is this a good enough price to stretch my budget, instead of waiting till next year?

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. What is MSRP?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i have to agree with poweraddict. the older 700 kick butt and you can really beat the crap out of them. my uncle has one and me and my cuz mud, hill climb, ride trail and pull stuff everywhere. i believe if i was to go get a 4x4 it would be definantly a polaris 700 carb.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wife and I rented ATVs for our first ride ever yesterday and had a blast. Ready to buy, the question is what? I am 5'6', 160, she is same height, 130. I rode motorcycles for about 20 years, including off-road, not lately. We are in our 50s. The rental bikes were Can-Am 400s. Since I don't want to go through a lot of different bikes, I was thinking of a CanAm 800 MAX for me and a 650 for her. The dealer says "too much bike" and strongly advises a 650 for me and 400 for her. I found the throttle on the 400 to be very smooth, and really can't see the problem of a lot of power in general conditions. I certainly can see a problem in highly technical conditions, like steep rocky descents, where a little blip on the throttle could be my last! But I don't see us riding into those situations, at least not deliberately. I am no daredevil, we are not into rocks or deep mud but I may want to tow with it and power is one of those things that is better to have and not need, than need and not have. So what do you end-users think? Am I foolish to go straight to such a formidable machine? Should I buy the 650 first, ride it a while and then go to the 800? Should I consider a different bike altogether? I have heard good things about the new power-steered Grizzly. Suggestions from the pros welcomed. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Buying a new 4x4, need opinions