Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying advice for kids...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice for kids...

I am looking to purchase a small quad for my boys which are 7 and 9. I am thinking about getting them a 90, a Honda TRX90 to be exact. And I have a couple questions.

Does anyone know where I can get FREE invoice info on these TRX90?

I own a TRX450 and dont know much about other brands. Can anyone reccommend a similar priced bike?

Also are ALL the newer "off brands" junk? Are there any of the newer brands that are worth they money at this size. It will MOSTLY be used in the sand at the Dunes so it needs to have some tork.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, Suzuki and Kawasaki both have brand new '07 model year 90's that should match up well with the Honda. Polaris has also switched to a 4 stroke motor and may be a viable option. There are quite a few happy owners of the 2 stroke 90 Polaris machines. The main diff is Honda has the 4 speed and the others are using a cvt. There are a few off brands that are well built such as Unison and E-ton, and others that show promise but may not be primetime ready such as the Xtreme Typhoon series. The Honda is one of the most expensive, so you would be spending less initially for pretty much anything else. My 7y/o is riding a TRX and it is a good machine with some performance potential later on. If racing may be in your future though, then I would ask around as to what is winning in your area first though.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. No plans for racing. Mostly something they can play around within the camp site while I am off surfing the dunes. I had heard some of the off brands dont even have enough power to be in sand, and thay is my main concern. I thought the Honda would have been cool as it would have been just like my 450 just smaller.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Well, don't forget the coolness factor in having one "just like dad's".

Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

I saw the new KFX90 that is a sharp looking atv (the white one). I thought the price was good to, the dealer was asking $2000 for it. The size of it seem like it would be good for a 7-12 yrs old.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

lol....YEah it would be cool, but no always the best reason for choosing a bike. I dont think you can really go wrong with Honda IMO, but always good to understand all your options. They new black 07 TRX90's are very nice looking.

Almost forgot...Anyone know of a site that has the invoice price for quads that doesnt charge? I have only found one that is $15.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone I know who has bought an "off brand", has lived to regret it!

I have owned two TRX90's. Still have one for my guest's kids to ride. We got it when my daughter was about 7 (she is 16 now). They are superb little machines.........virtually indestructible! They do well in the sand, with the stock tires aired down some. The machine is on the big side for smaller kids, but it certainly is a machine that a 7 and 9 year old can grow into.

I like the fact that the kids have to begin to learn to shift, and it has great engine braking to slow them down controlably (unlike some to the automatics, that just freewheel when you let off the accelerator).

The other kids machine I have owned was the LT80 (2-stroke), which was a great little machine as well. However, once my kids were big enough to ride cross country with me, the 80 fell short (ok for the sand though) and I got rid of it. My kids would ride their 90's with me everywhere I went in the 4wd Rancher..........if the 90 got stuck, we just picked it up and carried it.

My kids are teenagers now, but thinking about it brings back a lot of great memories. Hope you can create some memories of your own!

Trending Topics

Old 10-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

The off brands are crap. The Honda is a good purchase. The LT80 is also pretty good -- my kid's friends ride one, and it rips.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

WEll I'll have to DISAGREE that the "off" brands are junk, we have a TRX90 that my oldest son raced & braffed for years it held up great I will give it that!!
For my youngest son who is now 7 we started him out on a LEM CONDOR which he loved & was a GREAT beginner bike, we had no issues w/ that bike except when it came time to mod it for racing, well we didn't so it got sold!! The bigger brother to the Condor the Cayman doens't do too bad in sand my niece has one. We then bought him a Kasea Skyhawk 50 & this is his current machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] we've taken it to the dunes it does Ok w/ him on it, way better than the LEM!! We threw some paddles on it & he made it up some good sized hills but we also have some aftermarket parts on it(piipe,air filter,clutch's ect/) WE've had NO problems w/ this Kasea & they are easy to find parts for, they also come w/ a 1 year warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that is a PLUS!!!! We voided our warranty cuz we went & picked up the bike from the shipping place & put it together ourselves, which was fine w/ us!!
We've had the quad 2 yrs now & he's still loves it!! They also come in a 90cc, the 50 & 90 are the same "size" body wise, we will eventually be able to mod it to a 90cc also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
HOpe this helps a little NOT ALL OFF BRANDS ARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Dirtmomma
WEll I'll have to DISAGREE that the "off" brands are junk, we have a TRX90 that my oldest son raced & braffed for years it held up great I will give it that!!
For my youngest son who is now 7 we started him out on a LEM CONDOR which he loved & was a GREAT beginner bike, we had no issues w/ that bike except when it came time to mod it for racing, well we didn't so it got sold!! The bigger brother to the Condor the Cayman doens't do too bad in sand my niece has one. We then bought him a Kasea Skyhawk 50 & this is his current machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] we've taken it to the dunes it does Ok w/ him on it, way better than the LEM!! We threw some paddles on it & he made it up some good sized hills but we also have some aftermarket parts on it(piipe,air filter,clutch's ect/) WE've had NO problems w/ this Kasea & they are easy to find parts for, they also come w/ a 1 year warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that is a PLUS!!!! We voided our warranty cuz we went & picked up the bike from the shipping place & put it together ourselves, which was fine w/ us!!
We've had the quad 2 yrs now & he's still loves it!! They also come in a 90cc, the 50 & 90 are the same "size" body wise, we will eventually be able to mod it to a 90cc also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
HOpe this helps a little NOT ALL OFF BRANDS ARE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes that does help. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Buying advice for kids...