Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....

What they said was that the Raptor weighed 400 pounds. The Griz weighed 200 more than the Raptor, and the Renegade 200 more than the Griz.......

Old 04-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the ATV/ ORV weight requirements, thats a DRY weight. Polaris, Arctic Cat, and im sure Can-Am all push over the 800 mark when loaded down.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Any new hybrid 4x4 that hits the market is going to have to weigh 450 lbs. or less to be worthy of the name IMO. You can pump all the horsepower you want into a quad, but the handling will only come up to par when the weight comes down. My 2 cents...

Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Weighed my Renegade the other day 660lbs.......

Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I dunno....

Maybe it's my riding style, but I don't feel like I get beat up because of my straight axle......

Personally I don't like IRS machines, so far not one I've ridden feels right to me. I know they are better for ground clearance, and trust me I'd love more ground clearance at times, but I just don't like the feeling of the quad pivoting on all 4 axis. Perhaps if I were to ride one for a long time (weeks or months) I'd learn to deal with it.

But I always hear people say how the SRA beats them up. I don't really find it to be a problem for my riding style. I get beat up by riding bigger, heavier quads. Maybe it's from years of riding a BMX bike, I like to muscle the machine, I like it to be light and easy to flick around.....

Maybe a straight axle Ute beats you up more than an IRS Ute? That's probably true. But I get beat up no matter what kind of Ute I ride. I get more tired trying to muscle a big quad around the trails.

Now I guess the Outlaw is the new answer to that. A 400 pound machine with IRS seems like a good idea, but I rode the 500 Outlaw and still didn't like the IRS feeling. I guess maybe IRS takes a lot of time to get used to for some people. I'd like to get used to it, because the idea of IRS in theory seems like a great one. Maybe I'm just too, old school. Or maybe I'm just waiting for Honda or Suzuki to do it ....lol

Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: GE4x4
Let me think here, DW with a Yamaha in a shootout, geesh who will win. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] You can't even come close to believing half of what they say. Every othe mag loves the Ren, yet they slam it. 800lbs, what a joke. They also said the Raptor weighed 400 and the Grizz weighed 600 wet. Well if they were that light wet, then Yamaha sure would tell everyone that. And if anyone thinks that the Grizz 700 will outperform the Ren and any catorgory, and buy a 700 based on DW, is in for a very rude awakaning.
Yea, but the DW biased has traveled around......

They seem to favor Yamaha now, but for years they seemed to favor Honda. I tend to think it is cyclical and the make their way around. It is tough to say they are biased to one brand, because they don't generally bash anyone. Suzuki's have beat Honda's, and Yamaha's have beaten Suzuki's, and over the years it has been spread out.....

Recently Yamaha seems to win a lot more than they lose. But in some ways I have to give Yamaha credit for stepping up their game and making some really nice ATVs to compete with the best in the world.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

If someone was givin me a choice to pick between a renegade and a rap 700.. Id take a renegade. big woopty doda about the weight. It zips along plenty good and that weight is nice on rough trails. don't beat the chit outta ya. It could be smaller no doubt. but Recon is just a Can am Basher. Can-Ams are not ment for the 160 lb Panty waists out there. They are made for men with out small man syndrome. 200+ lb riders you lil chits can ride whatever you want. but big dudes get cramped on those lil toys. and its about enjoyin yer ride whatever you got. they are not ment for rookies and lil people. end of story.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: ss97
Originally posted by: GE4x4
Let me think here, DW with a Yamaha in a shootout, geesh who will win. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] You can't even come close to believing half of what they say. Every othe mag loves the Ren, yet they slam it. 800lbs, what a joke. They also said the Raptor weighed 400 and the Grizz weighed 600 wet. Well if they were that light wet, then Yamaha sure would tell everyone that. And if anyone thinks that the Grizz 700 will outperform the Ren and any catorgory, and buy a 700 based on DW, is in for a very rude awakaning.
Yea, but the DW biased has traveled around......

They seem to favor Yamaha now, but for years they seemed to favor Honda. I tend to think it is cyclical and the make their way around. It is tough to say they are biased to one brand, because they don't generally bash anyone. Suzuki's have beat Honda's, and Yamaha's have beaten Suzuki's, and over the years it has been spread out.....

Recently Yamaha seems to win a lot more than they lose. But in some ways I have to give Yamaha credit for stepping up their game and making some really nice ATVs to compete with the best in the world.
Ye With the biggest pocket book always wins. besides Niche Market Machines will never get everyones wood to rise. Kinda like fat girls.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Well, I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones!

I'm fit, not a lard a$$, and I live in sport quad country! So, all I ever need a ute for is to go the few places (mostly at very high altitude) where my 2wd sport quads won't take me. That means the smaller lighter and more agile a 4wd machine is, the better it fits my needs.....God is good!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
If someone was givin me a choice to pick between a renegade and a rap 700.. Id take a renegade. big woopty doda about the weight. It zips along plenty good and that weight is nice on rough trails. don't beat the chit outta ya. It could be smaller no doubt. but Recon is just a Can am Basher. Can-Ams are not ment for the 160 lb Panty waists out there. They are made for men with out small man syndrome. 200+ lb riders you lil chits can ride whatever you want. but big dudes get cramped on those lil toys. and its about enjoyin yer ride whatever you got. they are not ment for rookies and lil people. end of story.

Hey im one of those 170lb "little " people. But at my last MMA sparring session, i choked out one of you 187lb "big" people. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sport vs Ute vs "Hybrid".....