Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best 500cc and up ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 500cc and up ATV???

Hey all, I am looking to buying a new atv. I am coming off a 2002 Polaris sportsman 500 HO and want something similar. I like the Honda Rincon, Suzuki King Quad, Polaris brands, Arctic cat and Canam look nice too. I need some good opinions from people who have ridden any of these brands and recommend me a good fourwheeler. Power, Handling, Reliability and SMOOTH ride are my top priorities.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rincon doesn't have engine braking at low speeds. To some folks this is no big deal, but I couldn't imagine descending a sketchy technical hill (on a loaded quad) without it. Several posts in the Honda forum right now, of folks who are getting rid of their Rincons for just this reason........

In the Honda lineup, I would opt for the Rubicon instead if you must have an automatic.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Is yamaha out of the question for you? The new grizzly 700 is a badass machine, my buddy has one and I have never been on a more comfortable quad. The power steering works like a dream, it has plenty of power, and its really comfortable.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been wondering about the grizzly too. Just forgot to mention it. Sounds like its a nice fourwheeler. I just wish their were more opinions on this forum on different types of quads etc. I want to get the best!

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

The Grizzly 700 EFI would be my pick. I would own one if it weren't out of my price range.

700cc's of power, handles great with the power steering, VERY reliable, and extremely smooth.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Had a Cat 500i since 2002. It has been bulletproof reliable, worst problem I've had to date is a fouled spark plug. Five years of farm use, hauled a lot of firewood over some pretty rough trails. It's getting replaced with a 650 TRV soon, only because I want to bring the spouse with me.

Really, they're all good. Any IRS quad has a smooth ride. The Cat is built more for rough ground, plenty of GC. My farm is pretty rough, so that was a priority for me. OTOH, I've been on a Brute Force, and just loved that power.

Since they're priced mainly on displacement, I'd suggest you figure out how much you can spend, and then go out and see which dealer makes you the best deal. Right now is a good time - lots of 2007 models on sale as next year's models come out. And if you're not focused on one brand, and the seller knows this, you can get an even better deal.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Everyone that test rides my 2007 Grizzly 700fi SE starts shopping for a replacement for their quad. It is one bad ATV. I have had Yamaha for years and love their reliability and they have the best "all around" machines in my opinion. There are faster machines, more powerful machines, but the Grizzly 700fi with power steering is the complete package. Before you ask...the power steering does make that much of a difference. The 4x4 system that Yamaha has is second to none. Good luck...too many choices out these days!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polarosoman

Hey all, I am looking to buying a new atv. I am coming off a 2002 Polaris sportsman 500 HO and want something similar. I like the Honda Rincon, Suzuki King Quad, Polaris brands, Arctic cat and Canam look nice too. I need some good opinions from people who have ridden any of these brands and recommend me a good fourwheeler. Power, Handling, Reliability and SMOOTH ride are my top priorities.</end quote></div>

Should be an easy decision! Get the 500 EFI or for more hp a 700 or 800. Polaris are very good machines

Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polarosoman

Hey all, I am looking to buying a new atv. I am coming off a 2002 Polaris sportsman 500 HO and want something similar. I like the Honda Rincon, Suzuki King Quad, Polaris brands, Arctic cat and Canam look nice too. I need some good opinions from people who have ridden any of these brands and recommend me a good fourwheeler. Power, Handling, Reliability and SMOOTH ride are my top priorities.</end quote></div>

Should be an easy decision! Get the 500 EFI or for more hp a 700 or 800. Polaris are very good machines</end quote></div>

the 500efi (728lbs) also weighs more than 100lbs more than the Grizzly 700fi (600lbs) and most other bikes out there with a lot less power to push that weight. I own a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. That is the bike the wife "had to have". It is a lumbering pig in the mud and on the trails. There are many other bikes I would choose before I got a Polaris again. Polaris has not impressed me yet with the exception of the RZR. I have yet to see one of those up close so I am not sold on it yet either.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, these are some nice suggestions. Thankyou. I am surprised at how many people like the grizzly. I was always liking the Rincon and the King Quad and Polaris. Now I have to admit that the grizzly has snuck its way up to the top of my list now. With suzuki being really good with EFI and all I thought the king quad would be a good one. Nobody seems to like it as much. I honestly can say that I am still thinking and have not made up my mind yet. Any more interesting facts and or advice??? Keep it coming!!!

Quick Reply: Best 500cc and up ATV???