Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused

I'm new to this atv thing I
'm not sure what to buy if I am going to be pulling stuff in the bush what should it be ? belt driven or gear driven? honda or yamaha there are two for sale that I'm interested in botg 350's and 4x4. please help

Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default confused

Most of the 350 4x4s should have no problem pulling nearly 1,000lbs. and will go almost anywhere you point them. I don't know exactly what you're looking to use the machine for but the common differences between models are; 4x4 or 4x2, full-time 4x4 or selectable, hi and low range or hi range only, automatic or manual, solid rear axle or IRS, carbureted or EFI, front differential lock or not. These are just a few of the things that should be considered when buying. Some are very important depending on use, and some may simply be preferences. So, what exactly are you going to use it for? Recreational riding, work, or both? How much do you want to tow? Riding terrain- rocks, mud, fields, snow, gravel roads steep, level, etc.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default confused

thanks for the input , like I said new to this atv thing . It would be used for hunting pulling big game (deer, moose, and bear) also wood out of the bush and rough terrain.I'm looking at two atvs one is a 92 honda and 92 yamaha for a start
both 4x4 and both 350's.I dont want to go nuts for the first time till I can know my abillity on the atv i'd rather break a used one then a new one lol

Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default confused

I hear ya. Either one will definitely work fine for what you want to do and will be fun to blast around on. Generally, Hondas seem to have the best track record when it comes to longevity and reliability, but a Yamaha, Kawi, or Zuki would be a great choice as well. Depends more upon the individual condition of the machine. Check for oil level and color, tightness of all bearings and bolts, look for big dents in the bottom of the machine and overall cleanliness. This will tell you a lot about how the machine has been treated over the years.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default confused

Those are so old that I wouldn't trust them! You should be able to find a used Rancher 350 for a very reasonable price (01 or newer).

Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default confused

thanks for the info good to know they are both asking $2600 obo thats canadian
if there is to be any repairs to be done witch is easier to fix a knew one here is about 6 to$7000 plus our stupid taxes thats another $1000 plus the pdi stuff..Also is there a big weight difference in them

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default confused

also no one has told me the pros and cons of a belt driven and a shaft driven when pulling stuff on hard terrain

Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default confused

also no one has told me the pros and cons of a belt driven and a shaft driven when pulling stuff on hard terrain

Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default confused

Both have there +'s and -'s.
Belt: Very easy to ride. Just point and gas it and your always in the right gear. They can slip if you get them wet. Can break at the worst possable time.
Gear: Need getting use to. Need to be in the right gear for what you are doing. Very strong. Less power loss through gear to gear. Better fuel mileage.

All in all, I would pick what quad is in better shape rather than looking at what drives it. Both systems are very good nowdays.

I also somewhat agree with reconranger. These are very old quads for driving out in the middle of nowhere and expecting to get back.
If I had to go that old I would go with the Honda.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default confused

I agree there. If you are going to buy something that old go with the honda. Problem you are faced with is the older quads parts are harder to find when they break down and they will break down. The technology is so much better now and they still break down, however much less. I think you will spend more repairing the real old bike than if you looked for a newer used bike.

Quick Reply: confused