Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ATV to plow snow on a steep (15%) driveway?

If you'd read my post better v2 I'm not bashing AC. I said AC or polaris is the better choices for plow and that is what the guy wants. Yes they are the heavier of the brands and for plowing is only a plus. The AWD system of the polaris has been around for over a decade, must be working pretty good. I know I love mine. I would steer clear of the Grizzly simply for the fact that last I knew I had a serpentine shift pattern and it's efi is notorious for not wanting to start in the cold (my favorite feature of efi on the polaris). Honda doesn't have a model that can compete in about anything in the big boy ute class for anything. Can Am's are too much money for a light weight racing ute. (which aren't features for snow plowing anyway). The brute force just doesn't have the weight to compare with AC or Polaris when it comes to pushing snow and that was what this fella is looking for. Now the rest of you quit turning this into which ute is best and answer the question asked. I gave an honest opinion and did not "bash" any brand, just gave the facts.

Oh yeah, check into the American eagle snow plows. I've about tossed myself off my over weight good for nothing polaris (kidding) numerous times , hitting stumps, rocks, sidewalks and it is straight as an arrow ( I'm actually quite surprised it is with as hard as I've run into things with it) I've actually sheared the mounting bolts off the mounting bracket twice but, the plow and push rods are straight as new.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: v2rider

This Polaris AWD thing has been argued plenty of other times. Its similar to the Visko lock (which i hear they may have improved this year, wonder why) one tire has to lose traction for the other to kick in. IMO, that sucks</end quote></div>

Not sure how the Visko Lock works but on the Polaris when the rear wheels spins it,s like a 3rd of a rotation and the fronts engagement is unnoticeable. Like I said if the rear wheels lose no traction than whats the point of having the front wheels engaged?

It just goes into AWD on demand,you do not get that hard to steer feeling like Difflock.</end quote></div>

Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for all the input. I'm digesting it and have set up a test drive at the local Polaris, Harley, Honda shop this weekend. Their demo model is an 08 Polaris 500 efi with a winch and 4' plow. I'm anxious to try it out. What research I've done coincides with what zorro 700 had to say with regard to weight and transmissions etc.

Thanks again for the input. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful before too long.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You son of a bit... Jk. Whatever you choose, you will be happy with im sure, except honda. Im almost not kidding either. They are built to last, but lack technology, and locking differentials. Also, you may not have much luck pushing snow with a harley. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

I'd have them put a 60" plow on that. If you get the 4' plow you will regret it.