Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500

Hello everyone,

As many of these posts go, people come here when they are new to the game, and want to learn more. Well, the same goes for me. I am new to the sport, and want to get a nice new ATV, and want your input. I am 26, 6'1, 170 pounds. I say I that cause all the other posts for introductory statements people include it.

So, I want an ATV for trail riding, going out into the middle of nowhere and explore, and go camping for several days on end. I am from Alaska, so the opportunities are endless.

I am debating between Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500. Currently, I am leaning towards the 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450. What's your take on this? However, I have a good friend who told me to get EFI. So, that's got me thinking to get the 500. Is it really worth it?

Of these four machines, what would be the best? and hold up the best for years to come if one takes good care of it?

Any other input on the 4 would be great!

Jeff

Old 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500

i'd go with the 500efi sportsman. with the elevation and weather changes efi is the only way to go. i'd go with the irs quads with the type of riding you'll be doing

Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to say the EFI Rancher..polaris is good also but.You dont have to worry about breakin a Belt on the honda out in the middle of nowhere.My buddys 450 sportsman may be better in the real deep mudd,But its not as a good trail bike(It takes a football field to turn it around)Compared to the rancher.Test drive the 2 and youll see what i mean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Alaska fish & Game rides Honda, they claim they don,t want to walk out. i do a lot of Hunting in the Sierra's with 4 other guys all ride honda's except one and he rides polaris and usually breaks down , so he just sold it and is thinkin of a Honda

Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said Honda "Foreman". There are actually two Foremans, the manual transmission "500", and the automatic transmission "Rubicon", which is also a 500. My comments will refer to the manual tranny model.....

If I needed a bulletproof machine to get me home at the end of the day, it would be one of these two manual transmission Hondas! My Rancher is a superb little machine! It's a nice size...not to big and not to small. Handling is excellent and the power is snappy. They went for more for a sporty ride with this one. If I needed more of a "work" quad (vs a lighter trail machine), I would pick the Foreman. For reliability, it is probably best to avoid the ES shifting option on either of these machines.

While IRS is all the rage these days, I like the added stability of an SRA machine. Most folks put on bigger tires anyway, so that helps the ground clearance under the rear axle. My Rancher has 8" clearance under the axle, with my ITP Holeshot ATR tires. Honda front axles have a torque sensing differential, which is excellent and won't fight you like lockers will.

I certainly can see how IRS has advantages in some situations, like deep mud or snow....but the price you pay is a fair amount of extra weight, and some body roll in fast corners and off-camber side hilling. We did a snow ride in the local mountains yesterday with two Polaris machines, and there wasn't anywhere they went that we couldn't go just as well on our Ranchers!

I have never likes Polaris ergonomics. In many ways they market "features", more than a slickly designed machine....

Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Red166

Alaska fish & Game rides Honda, they claim they don,t want to walk out. i do a lot of Hunting in the Sierra's with 4 other guys all ride honda's except one and he rides polaris and usually breaks down , so he just sold it and is thinkin of a Honda</end quote></div>

And out military depends on Polaris!!!! The Polaris 500 is quite a few steps ahead of the outdated Hondas. Yes Honda is reliable, but so are Polaris. All most all utility atvs are belt driven, except Honda ESP. The ESP has it's share of problems. I have never broke a belt on my Polaris's and it is usually rider error when a belt breaks. It usually is from trying to go too slow in high range or pull a heavy load in high. I did break a motor mount on my 500 and the belt alignment was off and if I continued to ride it like that the belt would have burnt, but I fixed it right away!
Check out QuadTrek they have over 7000 miles on the belts.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Red Rider

Just like the Hummer, those Polaris machines are automatics because the army doesn't want to bother teaching a recruit who has never seen a manual transmission on any vehicle in his life....how to shift!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

the army does'nt pick a machine for it's transmission.they pick it because it fits the mission role it's intended for. besides nobody has ever drove a deuce and a half untill you join and it's a manual.the army has no problem putting you in a vechile and say you WILL drive it.if you know anything about mil-spec you will know it is tougher,stronger, and will last a lot lounger then what you get at dealer.besides it was a competion for the atv contract and polaris was the best. the beloved honda has come out with an auto,irs quad '08 rincon 680 it has a his and hers transmission. you see honda is starting to realize they're 15years behind the times and trying to catch up

Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

We did a snow ride in the local mountains yesterday with two Polaris machines, and there wasn't anywhere they went that we couldn't go just as well on our Ranchers!</end quote></div>

Yes 95% of the time the Honda 3 wd is Ok but when you start riding tougher terrain then you see how the auto/4wd/IFS/low range etc... all benefit the rider.
Stupid little features such as the high mounted winch, ever get stuck in deep mud and have to dive for your winch?
Auto 4wd is very nice!
Can't beat the front storage box!
Very good ride and handling!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Red Rider

Forgot to mention that the Hondas have a super low "granny" 1st gear, so they don't need a transfer case....I like the way they think!

The belt drive autos need a low range, because there is only a limited range of "gearing" that you can achieve with two pullies.

Quick Reply: New to the sport, Honda Forman, Honda Rancher, Polaris Sportsman 450, or Polaris Sportsman 500