Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

used atv's...Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used atv's...Need Help!

Just wondering, when you buy a used atv, what do you look for as far as wear and tear? Where are the most places to look at? Asking cuz i see a deal on an 03 predator that i am considering, but the guy said he has, "tig welded gussets under the gas tank for reinforcement newly painted frame black with new maier red plastics with carbon fiber painted bezel and nose cone"... so i dont know how hard he rid it and with the frame work and new plastics just wondering if he is trying to cover something up? Thanks!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

any one???

Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

look at the bottom of the quad that will say alot.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks, look for like scratches? he said that the frame is newly painted so i dont know how much that will cover up?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Plastics tell alot, frame and rims also. Quality of the "add ons" too. Quality replacment parts tell me the owner cares.

The more dents, repairs and damage (and how the damage was repaired, properly or welded and hacked all to peices) will normally tell the type of driver.

Also the brakes will tell you how well it's maintained. If it's got none.......stay away.

And it you can meet them at thier home, it should & can tell you alot about the person too!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

Scratches don't mean anything. I've seen bikes with plastics scratched to hell & I know the bike was well maintained because it felt brand new. My dads quad took a tumble down a mountainside once when he let a friend borrow it. It has a new subframe & everything is fixed, but he left the scratched up plastics on it so he doesn't have to worry about scratching it up.

People who take care of their machines don't neglect the air filter or fluid levels, so I would check those first.

If the filter is clean and fluid levels are where they should be, check for play in the wheels & steering, and worn sprockets or drive shaft joints. Make sure the brakes work & are adjusted, then start it up.

It shouldn't have a loud clatter from the engine. That means the valves aren't adjusted. Now take it for a ride & go through all the gears. It should click in & out of each gear easily.

If it's not an automatic, and you have to let the clutch out almost all the way before it grabs, a new clutch is needed.

Also, if the tires are worn out, that is another cost to factor in your counter offer.

I'm sure there is more to look at, but that's all I can think of right now.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow, thanks guys, you all are very helpful. thanks to everyone. I might go to his house and check it out this monday and will make sure to check all of that.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Bullwinkle358

Scratches don't mean anything. I've seen bikes with plastics scratched to hell & I know the bike was well maintained because it felt brand new. My dads quad took a tumble down a mountainside once when he let a friend borrow it. It has a new subframe & everything is fixed, but he left the scratched up plastics on it so he doesn't have to worry about scratching it up.

People who take care of their machines don't neglect the air filter or fluid levels, so I would check those first.

If the filter is clean and fluid levels are where they should be, check for play in the wheels & steering, and worn sprockets or drive shaft joints. Make sure the brakes work & are adjusted, then start it up.

It shouldn't have a loud clatter from the engine. That means the valves aren't adjusted. Now take it for a ride & go through all the gears. It should click in & out of each gear easily.

If it's not an automatic, and you have to let the clutch out almost all the way before it grabs, a new clutch is needed.

Also, if the tires are worn out, that is another cost to factor in your counter offer.

I'm sure there is more to look at, but that's all I can think of right now.</end quote></div>

Scratches are ok, damages are bad.