ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Looking for Advice: Options to Purchase Cheap ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/295768-looking-advice-options-purchase-cheap-atv.html)

crcurrie 08-15-2008 12:05 AM

Looking for Advice: Options to Purchase Cheap ATV

Hi, I am looking to purchase a very inexpensive ATV to tow a bush hog attachment at a seasonal property we just bought, and for a little light recreational use on the side. The property is in NW Pennsylvania and not near a major metro area (i.e., not close to places where I can easily pick up the vehicle at a dealership).

These are the options I've identified so far, and none looks too close to ideal:

1. Purchase circa 2004 Jianshe ATV, barely used, within pickup distance, but for which parts are no longer available. ($750)

2. Purchase new MX ATV (Chinese make) from California dealership and pay to have it shipped cross country. ($1200 -- somewhat more than my budget target)

3. Purchase very old name-brand Japanese ATV and have it shipped. (Most of these seem like they will have a total cost of around $2000 at the lowest, and they have a lot of miles and wear.)

I'm primarily looking on ebay Motors and Craigslist, plus newspaper classifieds in the region around the cottage. I haven't looked at the shopper newsletters that you can pick up at places like Wal-Mart yet -- don't know if they're a good place to find old ATVs cheap.

Would appreciate any advice on specific options or possible alternative tactics. I need to have something purchased by the time I go up there in a couple weeks to do initial maintenance work.

Or is this an impossible quest?

Thanks --

Chris

reconranger 08-15-2008 11:59 AM

Do you need 4wd, or is 2wd going to be fine??? Absolutely forget any of the "off-brand" oriental machines....they will give you nothing but absolute grief and ultimately turn out to be a waste of all your money!

Look for a used Honda Rancher 350, or if 2wd and a 250 engine is enough, then a Honda Recon.

scootergptx 08-15-2008 12:16 PM

While there may be some decent cheaper imports out there, I have yet to see one I'd consider using as a "working qaud".

A good used Honda would probably be best.

jaybeecon55 08-15-2008 06:14 PM

Keep looking for a local used ATV. A hint for Craigslist: While many do advertise in the "motorcycle" section there are usually more ATV's listed in the "rvs" section.

Jaybee

crcurrie 08-21-2008 11:11 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've definitely narrowed my search now to used 'name-brand' vehicles.

It seems that on Craigslist Polaris ATVs from late '90s to early '2000s are the cheapest, and I can get something with automatic transmission, an engine big enough to tow a mower, 2wd, and no major repairs required, for not too much over $1000.

The recommendations so far are to buy used Hondas. But I can't find any quite in my price range. Any strong opinions about the Polaris models from 8-10 years ago?

Thanks again!

Chris

650Mobrute 08-21-2008 11:16 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

Keep looking for a local used ATV. A hint for Craigslist: While many do advertise in the "motorcycle" section there are usually more ATV's listed in the "rvs" section.

Jaybee</end quote></div>

Well hell, thanks for that Info Jaybee, I browse craigslist almost everyday looking for good deals on quads and never new that lol..

scootergptx 08-21-2008 11:33 AM

The most dependable atv I have is an 8 year old Polaris. Been rolled, wrecked and rode like there's no tomorrow and still starts right up and runs fine.

user493 08-22-2008 02:53 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

The most dependable atv I have is an 8 year old Polaris. Been rolled, wrecked and rode like there's no tomorrow and still starts right up and runs fine.</end quote></div>

And people who never owned one talk about what a POS they are.

user493 08-22-2008 03:00 AM

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: crcurrie

Thanks for the advice. I've definitely narrowed my search now to used 'name-brand' vehicles.

It seems that on Craigslist Polaris ATVs from late '90s to early '2000s are the cheapest, and I can get something with automatic transmission, an engine big enough to tow a mower, 2wd, and no major repairs required, for not too much over $1000.

The recommendations so far are to buy used Hondas. But I can't find any quite in my price range. Any strong opinions about the Polaris models from 8-10 years ago?

Thanks again!

Chris</end quote></div>

I have very strong opinions about Polaris ATVs. I'm on my fifth one. That's only because they keep getting stolen, NOT because there's anything wrong with them. If you get a Sportsman make sure it not older than an '01. They made the steering so much easier it feels like power steering compared to the older ones. I believe that applies to the Magnums as well. I loved my '01 Sportsman 500 and would still be riding it if it wasn't stolen. People are right when they say Polaris doesn't make good ATVs. They make <u>GREAT</u> ATVs.

jianshe400 06-13-2010 01:43 PM

jianshe

i have a 2006 jianshe 400 4x4. i am very happy with it. i picked it up for a grand in very good condition. i love it. every part i repaced fit fine with yamaha parts from a 2000 big bear 400. exept for the pull start. but thats alright i still might just buy the recoil spring from yamaha and stick it in see what happends. some parts i replaced, clutch,reverse lever,gas gage, throttle,starter soilenoid,oil filter,frount break pads, i also have a 3000 pound chamian winch on it. i will probubly replace the air filter with a K&N soon just so i never have to do it again. it is kind of a pain in the balls to clean this air filter. it isnt too bad but it will be easyer with a K&N. 4X4 works great. iv gone threw some pretty good mud. i beat it. it take it well. once i get some tires on it it will be mint. hope this helps.