Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV for my 5 year old

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for my 5 year old

I am looking to buy an ATV (quad) for my 5 year old. This will be his first and was hoping someof you would guide me in the right direction as to what to buy. I saw some Chinese made ATV's ranging from $400-$600 or so and wanted to know if they are any good. If not what would be a good first quad for him? I also have a 3 year old that would love to have one I just dont think he'll be able to reach the brake lever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Asi

Old 11-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

for the 3yr old i would suggest powerwheels for the 5yr old get a 50cc no bigger maybe a powerwheels instead for a year or two. stick with the name brands. you can find a nice used quads in that price range for a 50cc

Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say powerwheels for both of them. IMO 5 is too young for an ATV and you should wait a couple years.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I looked at the Power Wheels a while back but my 5 year old has been driving a power wheels type hummer for 2 years now and my 3 year old has been driving the jeep for a year so I would hate to get them another toy atv that goes the same speed(2.5-5mph). They both ride those things perfect, it's amazing to see a two year old driving as well as he does. I'm guessing I should start looking for that 50cc quad for the 5 year old. Any make or model I sould look for as far as reliability and easier to ride? any of the 50cc out there have a remote kill switch or a speed limiter? I know i'm gonna have such a hard time with the 3 year old as soon as the 5 year old get a real ATV. He's not gonna be happy to lose every race they have. Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

go with the faster electric ones that can hit speeds up to 20mph stay away from gas for atleast 2 more years curiosity could get him burnt/hurt ......and if you decide to go gas stay clear away from the chinese ones there junk an fall apart quick

Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

which electric ones can hit 20mph? i only see the ones that go 5mph. Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-treme-Sc...VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem check this out there pretty cool and safer

Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

are there any other electric ones out there that will go up to 20 or is this the only company that makes one. I think for $650 I would rather find a nice used 50cc. Thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with frank...wait a couple years. My friend had the same question with his son and he ended up waiting till his son was 7 or 8 before going to the mini atvs and he was glad he did because he said his son understood more of the safety teaching that he was giving him. Also he has the throttle limiter on the gas powered one he got him adjusted so it cant get away from him yet. Just my opinion...Good luck with what you decide on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: yoneytan

I am looking to buy an ATV (quad) for my 5 year old. This will be his first and was hoping someof you would guide me in the right direction as to what to buy. I saw some Chinese made ATV's ranging from $400-$600 or so and wanted to know if they are any good. If not what would be a good first quad for him? I also have a 3 year old that would love to have one I just dont think he'll be able to reach the brake lever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Asi</end quote></div>

My two boys are 6 & 7 and are fine (with constant supervision!!!, throttle limiter, remote shutoff) on their 110cc quad. The only problem was their hands were to small the squeeze the brakes, (I had to heat and bend the bars to a better fit/grip)

Age 5 might be a little young for a gas ATV?

Quick Reply: ATV for my 5 year old