Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Did you buy your quad new and how did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you buy your quad new and how did you pay?

Like the title, there are many ways to pay. Seems like many people finance and get tricked into the "low payments" deal until they realize it's going to take 12 years to pay it off.

I'm just curious, never owned anything on 2 or 4 wheels remotely new, I think a quad off ebay without a freight charge and much less $$ would come out to be a good deal without a whole lot of initial depreciation.

If your up for it, state your quad, price and how you paid for it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

2008 Suzuki LT-R450 Limited Edition..... the "show special" price was $6850 (Canadian dollars of course), we got $1000 for my trade in (07 Baja 90cc lol), as well as a free under-engine skid plate, and a free 1 year warranty. So I guess it was $5850 with the trade in, not including taxes/registration/blah blah. OTD I'm guessing it was about 6 grand.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never purchased anything but new machines. I would only finance one if they were offering an extremely low promotional interest rate. The worst deals are probably the "credit card" type purchases.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider

honda recon - new - 2200 - financed thru honda for 3yrs paid off in 1
yamaha big bear - used - 2500 - cash
polaris scrambler - new - 4600 - financed thru my bank for 3 yrs paid off in 1.5yrs
yamaha banshee - used - 2700 - cash
brute - new - 7000 - cash

Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I financed my new kfx through the dealership. Got a better price, and a warranty too.

Then, I paid that loan off 2 weeks later. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The dealer gets more money if they finance their company. If you know that, and let them know that, you have a little more room for a price negotiation. They get their money, you get a better deal. Pay it off before any payments are due, and you'll save money again.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought my first new ATV. I never bought anything new, so this was a first for me.

I bought a new 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 450 4X4 IRS last October. Paid $5,000 cash for it. Unfortunately, I had to sell my motorcycle.

Originally, since I refuse to pay sticker price for anything, I was negotiating with the local dealership for a 2008 Grizzly 350 4X4, but the lowest they could go was $5,200. I was planning to take advantage of Yamaha's financing, which wasn't a bad deal since they included a winch, providing you paid it off early or on time. This financing, regardless of the manufacturer, takes advantage of the people that drag out their loans. You get nailed if they have an "introductory rate" that expires after a certain time. A lot of times, especially in the current economic market, the financing deals are pretty good. But pay slightly more than your monthly payment and pay it off quick! Regardless of your finacnced monthly payment, adjust your montly payment to pay off before the introductory rate expires. Besides, the faster you pay it off, the more equity you'll have in it.

As it turned out, just before I signed the papers to finance my new machine at the dealership, I stumbled upon the 2009 for less money, but the deal required cash.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

i financed my 850 and i paid 14.200 with all the options that were possible at the time of ordering canadian funds taxes in.....i went with the polaris card it worked at the time but high interest i will have it payed by july of 09 otherwise i would never have went that way....and this way for some reason the dealer gave me a few parts and deals on others....
my sons kodiak i payed cash 3000.00 used.....

Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

i looked into buying new..but i would only do that if i had ATLEAST 50% down and less then 5% intrest these days... i buy used, let someone els take the hit

Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my new quad - I made a downpayment on my credit card and wrote a check for the balance when I picked it up. No more payments. All of my other quads were bought new in a similar manner. One or two payments and no financing. Sometimes I pay the whole thing at once and sometimes I make a downpayment first like the last one.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

just bought me a 2008 arctic cat 700 camo with a 3 yr. warrenty for $6,890.00 in september and found the same deal for my 2 friends. We all 3 paid cash and spent another grand on bumpers and winches. I already had tires and rims and they both bought new ones also. Im a firm believer in paying cash if you can, no reason to pay more(intrest) with the hard earned money I/you make. If its 0% finance then maybe. The only thing i have financed is my house, and it wont be for too much longer, hopefully. If you do finance,pay it of early. Like i said,pay yourself, not the big man smokin the cigar behind the desk!!!

Quick Reply: Did you buy your quad new and how did you pay?