Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Baddest Stock Mudder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best mudder of all the 4X4's? I'm itching to buy one, but have heard mixed "reviews" in mags. Don't really trust them and want some real oppinions. I love to ride rocky terain, but my favorite is aiming for the biggest mud-hole I can find. Need anyone's oppinion on best water/mudder to buy - any size or model or make. Thanks!!

Old 02-18-2001, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

atvnewbe, it really depends on personal choice. I sold a 500 sportsman for a 400 xplorer. which is better ? I think its the xplorer, it doesn't have as much ground clearence but more than makes up for it in instant wheel speed. It is a much more spirited trail machine but, the ride isn't as plush.
As far as which brand is best opinions are like *ssholes everone has one. I can say Polaris requires more maintenance than the others. But thats the price you pay for those plush long travel suspensions, not many will argue with the fact they have the best ride. Hondas on the otherhand don't have the ride but are pretty much maintenance free.Yamahas and Kawisaki's and the rest all have there good and bad points. Polaris has true 4wd, Honda's Rancher and Rubicon have a new tourque sensing front diff. the rest are pretty much 3wds with a few exceptions.
The best advice I could give you is find some dealers that are willing to let you test drive the machines you think your interested in. Then make your own decisions.

Old 02-20-2001, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Max IV amphibious 6x6 with stock 26" tires and 725cc V-twin.

See you in the next mud hole.

Old 02-20-2001, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sportsman 500 6x6 because it has true 6wd.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advise. When you say polaris has true 4wd, does that mean the front diff locks both wheels at once when it engages?

Also, what about Arctic Cats? One of the feature articles on this site (AC 500 vs Bom 650) says only those two bikes ever made it through the mud pit they use to test.

Old 02-21-2001, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

What? Only 3 replies out of 82 views? I guess only mnxplorer has an oppinion worth hearing. (oh yea, and the 6X6 guys)

Seriously, who's machine (not 6X6's) leaves the others stuck in the mud??

Old 02-21-2001, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

Everybody is tired of the old argument of which machine is the best. Even brand name marks will admit that every company has strong points and it always comes down to preference.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2001, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear you. I really don't want to get into the brand wars, I just want to know from other's experience, which 4X4 goes through the slop the best. I am a fan of most of the brands so no-one slinging brand name propaganda will influence my decision. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-23-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am also a avid mudder.After many years of riding ATVs [3and 4 wheelers] it is my opionion that the Polaris Xplorer 400cc is AT LEAST one of the best mudder's around,if not, the best.

Im a FIRM beleiver that a 4x4 should have the ability to spin ALL 4 wheels while 4x4 is activated.Currently,only Polaris and the underpowerd 280cc Suzuki King Quad have that capability.

Way back in 1986,I choose the 4x4 250cc Suzuki Quad Runner over the larger 350cc Honda Foreman 4x4,Why?Because you COULD lock up the front end of the smaller CC Suzuki and spin ALL 4 wheels with power,opposed to the limited [3 wheel spin] on the Honda Foreman.

I also had a 99 500cc Polaris Sportsman 4x4,very nice ATV,very plush ride,VERY HEAVY,weighing in at 697lbs.It was a fantastic mudder,but its weight did sometimes hamper it.

I wanted something lighter,more nimble/faster.I did my homework and gambled on the 2 stroke 400cc Xplorer.I say gambled,because I was unsure of the 2 stroke engine.

Today,after owning it for 1yr and about 1300 miles later,I love the beast.It is currently the fastest utility 4x4 on the market.

Why do I feel the Xplorer is one of the best mudder's?Its all about wheel speed,ground clearance,and a true 4x4 system.No other 4x4 ATV has the wheel speed this thing has.Wheel speed is a huge factor in mudding.

GROUND CLEARANCE?If one was to measure the ground clearance on the Sportsman[#1] as opposed to the Xplorer,they would see that except for the tiny rear chain sprocket,[which plays NO factor in mudding]ground clearances are about the same on both ATVs.

Factor in wheel speed,ground clearance, the ability to spin ALL 4 wheels as opposed to three,and my many yrs of ATVing and never having been beat out in the mud,Id say the Xplorer has to be one of the best mudders,maybe the best?
Bill

Old 02-24-2001, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I recently traded my 2000 xplorer400 on a 2001 traxter. I think they are fairly equal in mud ability. My brother has a 2001 xplorer400 and we have both got stuck in the same mud holes and both made it thru the same mud holes. It is good to be open minded when looking to buy but i can tell you we ride with a suzuki quad master a yamaha wolverine and a honda rubicon. These are all nice machines but all have gotten stuck where the traxter and xplorer have made it thru. My suggestion is to buy something your comfortable riding and has true 4 wheel drive. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Baddest Stock Mudder?