Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help selecting which atv to buy. utility/sport.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Polaris 500 HO, Yamaha 660 or 700 Grizzly's or Honda Rancher's are all good machines. See which one "fits" YOU best and do a little "HAGGLING" to get the price where you want it!
Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 450 Wolverine is a strait axle. http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...e2=86574&go=Go

The only sporty 4wd with IRS is the Can AM Renegades. If IRS is not a problem then a 500 Scrambler is worth a look,it can smoke a Wolverine or Rancher, even not running right.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the "hybrid" idea, but nobody has gotten it right yet. The "old" Wolverine comes closest, but the new Wolverine has a little to much ute left in it, the Scrambler isn't a very slick design (shaft drive front/chain drive rear), and the Renegade is massive pig.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

A massive pig, if you say so. The Renegade will still smoke the Rancher 420 and any "hybrid" or "sporty utility".

Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canadian144
A massive pig, if you say so. The Renegade will still smoke the Rancher 420 and any "hybrid" or "sporty utility".
There is a lot more to "handling", than just having a huge engine that will "smoke" another bike in a straight line drag race!!! On the tight mountain woods trails that I ride, that porker would be at a huge disadvantage! (My buddy rides the Outlander 800, and that heavy pig is almost unrideable on our local trails.)

The Can-Am is make in Canada....so we do understand your patricular bias however!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

I think the Renegade would only be suited for wide open Desert, and wide open wooded trails when cruising whoops at full throttle is a given. Tight stuff No way.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

recon:

I really have no particular bias to Canada (I ride a Suzuki!!).... personally I wanted my dad to buy a Grizzly, until we looked at the Can Am's and how much more technologically advanced they are. The V-twin engine is a work of art (as is Polaris' and Kawasaki's)! At the trails up by my cottage, our Outlander 800 feels right at home. In the straights, my dad can really open it up and keep up with me no problem. When we start getting into some rough terrain/rocks/rocky hill climbs, it has no problems whatsoever. When the trail gets narrow, once again no problems. Nothing has ever stopped it, and it has never been "too heavy". The suspension feels quite at home, never too soft or anything. The Renegade takes it a step further and has a firmer, sportier suspension.

A guy a few doors down from me at my cottage has an 08 Renegade 800X.. that thing handles AWESOME, better than quite a few sport quads IMO. Only got to drive it once for 5 minutes but it was great.

srambler:

see what I wrote above... the bigger Outlander with a more comfort oriented suspension works fine on tight trails and open trails. The 800 V-twin is comfortable at both low throttle and high throttle.

A lot of people on these forums claim to have rode certain ATVs when in reality they have probably never even sat on them...scrambler you can't say "Tight stuff No way" unless you yourself have actually taken it through tight trails!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

Well if the 800 outlander's a pig I guess my 800 polaris is too. It ain't no lightweight atv lol. The only BRP product I've tried was the renegade 800 my buddy Tony's and if you look threw my pics you'll see it so it's no bull sh$t. I like that unit a lot, man that thing goes like snott. Because of the engine work on my atv it's no slouch either but when it comes to handling my porky pig don't have it but in the mud it does. Anyway what's the rush lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by reconranger
There is a lot more to "handling", than just having a huge engine that will "smoke" another bike in a straight line drag race!!! On the tight mountain woods trails that I ride, that porker would be at a huge disadvantage! (My buddy rides the Outlander 800, and that heavy pig is almost unrideable on our local trails.)

The Can-Am is make in Canada....so we do understand your patricular bias however!!!

Simply not true, just look at GNCC racing and look at the results in all-utility classes. Totally Can- Am dominated by far; even in U-2 class the renegades are leading the sportier non- 4-wheel bikes. These races are brutal on machines and you race on tight courses thru twisties, mx and open fields.

That heavy pig (Outlander 800) holds every race win and series win since it's inception, if you believe that a Wolverine or a Rancher can come even close to a Renegade 500 I want what your smoking! Us GNCC racers know better.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Isn't the sporty 800 Renegade and Utility 800 Outlander the same ATV, but with different plastic,no racks and 1' smaller tire size and thats it?

Here are there side by side specs. 2009 Can-Am Renegade™ 800R EFI ATVs

Might as well get the Outlander, it goes like heIL but can carry something while doing it.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting which atv to buy. utility/sport.