Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Hmmm, where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm, where to start...

I am looking for a used atv/utv/quad and don't know which ones out there that have the features I'm looking for.

Requirements;
open or limited slip diff. / NOT a live axle.
4 stroke
major brand

other options pending above requirements;

want to plow snow or gravel with, do yard work and go play with friends.
auto tranny ok for wifey however manual ok for me.
needs to be "fairly" easy to push around by one person

It was suggested to me to get something between a 300 to 400cc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Noid.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would opt for the Honda Rancher 420 offered in either a AT or a Manual and both come with optional Power Steering and are a blast to ride for there size!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda Rancher 420. water cooled and fuel injected! This little thing can rip! Available in an SRA model that is very sporty, with ES pushbutton shifting for those who are not willing to shift with their foot. Or, as the AT model with IRS and a totally unique dual-clutch gear-on-gear transmission that will shift itself on automatic or can be shifted by pushbutton.

While the Rancher is the bomb as a trail quad, if I were going to do extensive plowing, I would get the Foreman 500 instead, which is more of a "work" quad.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

open or limited slip diff. / NOT a live axle
Not sure what you mean by that? You mean you want one with a turf mode?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=Noidly1;2870250] open or limited slip diff. / NOT a live axle.
4 stroke
major brand
want to plow snow or gravel with, do yard work and go play with friends.
auto tranny ok for wifey however manual ok for me.
needs to be "fairly" easy to push around by one person
It was suggested to me to get something between a 300 to 400cc.
QUOTE]

I don't think there are any open or limited slip rear diffs out there other than Polaris ATPs, Sportsman X2s and Sportsman Touring which have a switch that allow you to have only 1 wheel driving for sensitive areas or tighter turning. They are big machines that will do all you ask except being easy to push. I can push my quads around in neutral but sure wouldn't want to do it over uneven terrain or up a hill. They have 500, 700, 800, or 850cc engines depending on the year and the model.

The Rancher is an excellent choice also for what you describe unless you meant you want an independent rear suspension when you said, "not live axle". That would also rule out the ATP. Please clarify a little better and we might be able to narrow things down for you.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guess I need to clarify a few things.

live axle means, having both sides locked together as one, as in;
a solid one piece axle, or having a spool in the diff. of an independent suspension.

I work at an independent bike shop. We work on all brands of bikes and 4 wheelers, except the chinees knock-offs. So I know what it is like to push 4 wheelers around. That said, we have NOT seen every model out there so that is why I am here..

The one's with a solid, "live", axle are hard to push in a turn and don't like to turn while riding either. Now, if the 4 wheeler has independent axles, that does not guarentee an open diff because it may have a spool in the diff that would also make it a live axle.

As far as plowing use, my intent is just to plow the snow off my driveway and sidewalk and/or spread gravel around in the summer. Not the heavy plowing you may have thought. I also want to tow small trailers too.

My neighbor has a 350 something, I think, and does all kinds of stuff with his.
When I get a chance, I'll find out what it is.

Also, weight is an issue. I would like to find something on the lighter side.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

the only machines out there that had an open diff in the rear were the polarises that Moosehenden mentioned. they are far from being light or easy to push around though. sounds like you need a light weight mid size machine, like a rancher or grizzly/bruin 350. good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the only quads with a truly open differential are the Polaris Sportsman X2, ATP, and Sportsman Touring models. Smallest engine in these quads are 500cc. Polaris has the Polaris Sportsman 400 and 300 in a smaller quad with IRS. Honda has a Rancher that has a 420 with IRS. I think Suzuki's smallest with IRS is the King Quad 450i. Yamaha has the Grizzly in a 350cc class with IRS. CanAm has an Outlander with IRS in the 400cc range. Not too familiar with Arctic Cats.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Polaris made a 330 magnium ATP with turf mode.Polaris ATP 330 & 500 - Test Ride & Review - ATV Rider

Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i test-drove a 2009 rancher ES a few weeks back, and if you want zip, that machine sure has it! the electric shift is fairly safe now, as honda switched the ECM out that used to fail on early ES machines. they used to be made in mexico or taiwan or something and now are made in japan, and are 99% better. i wish you good luck on your decision, but i know my second machine that i am gonna buy soon is going to be a rancher 420 for sure.