Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What do I do???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I do???

Looking to get my first atv and I am a 34 y/o dad. I will be using the machine for plowing and messing around on the property and maybe trail riding once in a blue moon. Got two options. A brand new 2010 arctic cat 450 efi with winch/plow and a 4.5 year warranty for $6500.00 Or used 2008 brute force 750 with winch/ plow, 200 miles on it no warranty for $6500.00. I know the brute force is top of the line but the artic cat is brand new. What should I do???

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should read about my mistake here...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/buyi...d-mistake.html

Then seriously consider gettting a big bore. The KQ750 has a lot of power at 49 HP but after putting 100 miles on it I wouldn't mind a bit more...

These 4x4 machines are extremely heavy and you need some serious power to make them fun to ride. I also find that the CVT drivetrain (no shifting) can be boring to ride when there is not a lot of power to make things interesting.

I did ride with a KQ450 this weekend and he was setting a pretty respectable pace with it but I bet he was holding it wide open for much of that ride...

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike with a couple hundred miles on it especially if they can prove the machine has been serviced properly and it drives perfectly.

I don't know anything about the Brute specifically but bigger is better in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd be more inclined to go with the Brute Force. It's got more power than you'll ever need and great top speed. 450 Cat wouldn't compare power and speed wise. Would do want you want it for but I'm beginning to want a little more top end on my 500 X2. It just doesn't move the way a big bore can. The only thing I don't really care about with the BF is the weird way you lock in the front axle to get full 4wd. There's a little lever on the left side handlebar that you have to pull to lock in the front. Not for me. If you can live with that instead of putting it in 4wd and locking the front with a button it's not an issue. Me, I like putting it in and not having to think about it too much.