Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First ATV: Sport or 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cncpro
Oh, and now that I have gotten used to my big bore utility I'll never buy a sport quad again.

Originally Posted by cncpro
89 hours vs 16 hours is insignificant in my opinion. My 2011 King Quad has 190 hours on it right now

400ex sucks in the snow (as just about all sport quads do compared to a 4x4)

you should be able to find a good wolvy 450 on cl for $3k.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the p650 has a front locker and a good bit more power, plus racks to haul stuff. the wolvy 450 lacks those am i right?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

that is correct. Having an atv with diff lock makes a difference. You may not always use it but its handy when you do.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anything else needed to know for a purchase besides bill of sale? Is a title needed?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quivvy
Anything else needed to know for a purchase besides bill of sale? Is a title needed?

it's different in every state.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 650 V twin is a lot faster than you think, it will give you all the speed and performance you need to make trail riding fun, and the fenders will keep you a lot drier than a sport quad. I love my Grizzly year round, and it can work as hard as it plays, try plowing your driveway with a Z 400 !!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

You may check with the guys/ladies in the Kawasaki forum if you havent already. I ride and arctic cat and I know that Arctic cat used the Kawasaki 650 v twin for a few years,but they seem to have had belt issues in the past. They would go into "LIMP" mode which will only allow you to run im guessing 15mph or so so the belt doesnt get damaged. There was talk about shimming. Anyways im not sure if there was any issue with the Kawasaki bikes but thought you should look into it.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Been around a Z400. Rock solid reliable machine and you won't go wrong with it. I wouldn't spend more than $2500 for one, about the same as a 400EX because they're just not worth more than $3000 unless it's new, then I'd just go buy used.

How long is the snow on the ground. If you have feet of snow on the ground for 3 months a year then I'd go with the 4wd. More than 6" of wet snow and you'll still have a blast but you will have the Z at redline all the time. Yeah, I could plow that field with a horse but a tractor would be easier, see the analogy?

Conversely I think you'd have more fun on the Z in the summer but I come from the sport side of ATV'ing so I'll admit my bias there.

If you're truly unsure, spend the lesser amount and ride for a year or two. Your quad won't depreciate much and if you regret buying the Z (or vice versa since you said you lean toward the 4wd) find a 4wd. Don't think that those machines are the only deals out there, be patient and you'll find you get a better deal. You'll get in trouble when you think you have to have it NOW.

Buy a helmet regardless to which quad you buy. Don't be stupid and most of all be respectful. We have enough trouble as it is with people wanting to close all our riding areas without the other side posting examples of idiot's out there.

Have fun.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

just picked up the prairie on saturday and so far am very happy! thanks to everyone for their feedback

Old 12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad to hear you made a decision. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: First ATV: Sport or 4x4?