Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bill of sales?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill of sales?

Just wondering. When you buy a used ATV without a title, how do you go about getting a bill of sales? Im in Ky if it makes any difference.

Can a person just print one up and have both parties and a witness sign it? Or does it have to be notarized by someone?

How important is it to have a bill of sales?

Thanks for any help

Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

I have never boughten an atv with a bill of sale, but have bought and sold trailers with them...Mine were a brief description of product, seller's name and address, buyer's name and address, both sigs, and sale price, date....Before you buy an atv without a title (if new enough to have a title), make sure it has a vin and that it isn't stolen...in ohio if there isn't a title it will be inspected by the bmv and a title created (I think)...they check the vin before doing a title or registration. Good Luck...to me no title is scary!!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will vary from state to state. Also, the $ amount of the ATV is a factor.

I have a '96 Honda 90 that did not have a title. There 'was' a title but the owner lost it somewhere. I had no question about that story as the owner was a close friend of the dealer he bought it from - as am I. All I had to do was turn in some paperwork with a tracing of the VIN, let the state guys do a search to verify it wasn't stolen and we got a new title.

Now, my Can-Am is a different story. I bought it out of state from a police detective in Georgia. As he only drove it on his own acreage, he never got a title. I paid all my taxes and did paperwork back in TN so I could ride on public land but I still haven't followed through on getting a new title. In this case, since the purchase price was above $6,500.00 the rules were a little different. I would need to get a bonded letter from the former owner stating why there was no original title plus I would have to get a local police officer physically look at the ATV and verify the VIN number. Plus, I would have to provide a $200 bond. Since I have already paid all the fees to the state, they are not too concerned. Now that I've owned the ATV for 3 years it's value is below the $6,500 cap, so I really can finish this up anytime.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry no title no sale

I had to learn the hard way. I bought a used 500 Polaris from a guy I'd never met. I live in MT. The guy said he had just moved to MT from Oregon and had lost the title in the move. Sounded legit to me. He said all I had to do was file for a duplicate title and that was all there was to it. I figured if it was stolen, I wouldn't be able to get a duplicate title. I filed and got the title so I thought I was good to go. I got a license for it and then the next year licensed it again. But the third year I went back and guess what. I was told the thing was stolen. It seems the first two years I got away with it but by the third year our atv's got on the computer system and mine got flagged when I went to license it. So they took it from me. I had no say so. I went after the guy in court but he had no money so I wasn't able to get a dime out of him. I lost the machine and the $4500 I paid for it. I will never buy another atv, motorcyle or anything without a clear title again. Buyer beware.