Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Electronic Fuel Injection Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Fuel Injection Question

Am in market to buy mid size utility ATV that will be used only once per year for hunting. Had an 02 Arctic Cat 500i but sold it because EVERY year, REGARDLESS of what additives were used, draining the tank, etc, I had to have the carburetor serviced to get the thing to start.

Have been told by salesmen that an EFI model will prevent this. I see that some come with throttle body EFI and other types of EFI. I know nothing about EFI.

My question is will any type of EFI eliminate the need for annual fuel system maintenance? Or is one type better than another? I would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid. Please try to be specific since I am not familiar with EFI types, terminology, etc.

Thanks much!

Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Even an EFI can get clogged if it sits for a year. The only way to prevent clogging in a vehicle that's stored as long as what you describe is to put some Stabil or other stabilizer in the gas tank and run it dry so there is no gelling of gas to clog either the injectors in the EFI or the jets in a carb.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did that with the Arctic Cat and it never worked. What I have thought about doing is running the gas out and adding some of this fuel and some additive and then running it all out.

TruFuel

They claim to have no additives etc in this fuel, so any remnants of it should not gum up.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure how your carbs get clogged if there is no gas in the carbs when you store it.

Shut gas off let machine run until the carb bowls run out of gas. Fog spray the carb and motor and it can sit for as long as you want. Now the gas remaining in the tank is all you have to worry about,EFI or carb.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i also had a 2002 arctic cat 500 and no matter how long it sat,which was never a year by the way,but it has sat for 6-7 months,it ALWAYS started. I hardly ever added a stabilizer to it but when i did it was seafoam. Just curious if you ever primed it before trying to start it? especially in cold climate? The other thing i did and still do if im not riding is go out and start at least once a month for 20-30 minutes. Ill usually do it while i cut my grass then shut them off when im done. Ill also take them for a short ride around the yard to keep the grease lubed up on all the bearings and ect...I now own a 700EFI arctic cat,polaris rzr 800 EFI and a canam outlander 500 EFI,ive still never had an issue with starting but i still start them up when not riding for long.
im also confused on how it can be clogged if there isnt anything in the tank? Im not saying EFI is your answer,but it would be better to put a inline fuel filter on your next atv with maybe an on/off valve if not already equipped with one. this way you can run it empty,change the filter before next season and fill it up with fresh new gas. this will ensure the machine is clean and clear of all dirt.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it stored at a camp or lodge where you can't get to it?

I agree with what moose said above- to add:
I would say the EFI fuel injectors are less prone to becoming clogged because the fuel system operates under pressure, whereas carbs rely on gravity & vacuum- havhing a pressurized line helps a bit more when things get clogged or gelled up but, injectors can become clogged as well.

but- if the atv is accessible, why not run it a few times per year? use high grade gasoline, run it every now and then and use a quality fuel stabilizer and I can't see you having any problems. I've had atv's that've sat for months without any fuel maintenance and start right up.

currently- there are no "maintenance-free" atv's on the market so- you should expect to put a few hours a year into the fuel system if it's going to be sitting 10 out of 12 months...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I hear that bio crap gas made from corn they use in the States goes bad extra quick even with additives..

Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is what I ought to buy, but it's only 2WD....I want 4.

E-Force | Eco Electric ATV

Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tperk100
This is what I ought to buy, but it's only 2WD....I want 4.

E-Force | Eco Electric ATV
Won,t catch on, I think.

It,s the sizes power of of a smaller 250cc ATV 2wd but heavier then a 850cc full size 4wd .

Sure would start up easy though.

Quick Reply: Electronic Fuel Injection Question