Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What atv should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What atv should i get?

I am looking at used atvs. I have narrowed it down to a suzuki ozark, honda recon, polaris trailboss, and polaris magnum. I will be riding mostly trails and a tad of dunes. Please answer.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only once I,d stay away from is the Trail Boss. I just hate chain drive. less ground clearance and to much maintenance for me.

The Magnum comes in 2wd or 4wd and has a larger Full size chassis (same as the 500H.O) vs the much smaller chassis 250,s if your a larger person or plan to double ride. 2003 Polaris Magnum 330 4X4 ATVs

Out of the 250,s there both good ATVs ,just go by price and condition between those.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hmm

i have an older trail boss and it seems fine to me i was looking to upgrade it to get a 2006 or higher if i would go thAt way. I will probably look at the magnum. thanx.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

when i was researching atv`s it took me over 6 months to decide
i went with my all chain drive trail boss
WHY! simple japanese atv parts are hugely expensive VS polaris / can-am

i went into my honda moto dealer and had him price all of the parts needed to build a 4trax rear differential ( not including the swingarm and cv shafts )

get this the parts alone were $1,400.00 + labour to assemble it 9-14 hours

chains and sprockets are cheap , almost anyone can change out a sprocket or chain

assembling a differntial ( training / tools / dials ) expensive and not for the average joe to do

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There are Magnum 500s out there. Rare but they are out there. None of the machines you mentioned are really "dune" machines if you're talking about tall dunes. For smallish dunes any of the ones you've mentioned should be able to get you over them with some built up speed.

Recon and Ozark are very simple bullet-proof machines. Magnum is easier to ride with the automatic.