Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility Atv: $3000

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some times they can change for the worst and get over complicated.
I do not care for the plastic oil tank,and single diff Hillary and ECM on the new Sportsmans.

A new 2013 Honda Foreman/Rubicon and Rincon would loose to a discontinued 2002 660 Grizzly in a shootout to this day I have no doubt.

I was looking for a good shape 500 Suzuki Vinson before getting the Sportsman 6 years ago.
But I would still buy one if one comes along my way and they have been discontinued for six years now and first came out in 2002.

I love the newest tricks on my snowmobiles because they ride in nice clean conditions, but the mud holes I wallow my ATVs in would make quick work of anything to high tech feature wise.

Lots of 20-25 year old simple low tech ATVs running around ,I do no think their will be many liguid cooled, efi , irs, and EPS ATVs still going at that age.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

I agree with some of the stuff you said but comparing a honda to a 660 grizzly is like apples and oranges, honda is just too low tech for me, they are way behind the times and i would not own one unless it was a deal. But with that being said they are defiantly the most reliable, thats why i go in the middle not the highest tech and not the most reliable i get yamaha! And idk about the efi and irs bikes not making it to be that old, if you treat them right and maintenance them i believe they will

Old 12-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildfan97
I love yamaha but i couldent seem to find to many where i live. At least in my price range, though i will defintally keep an eye out for the grizz. Has anyone owned a polaris sportsman? If so how'd it do? Do they last a good while?
My ADC (active decent control) crapped out on me after 5 years and low miles. It was expensive to have it rebuilt. This is my 5th Sportsman 500 in 16 years. The old ones were good quads and I only had to replace them because they were stolen. I would likely still be riding my 2001 Sp 500 if I had a choice. It was a H.O. and easier to steer than the '97. I wouldn't buy one made before '01. My '97 had thousands of miles on it with only a broken a-arm because of a faulty grease zerk it was never greased.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Do yourself a favor and buy a honda. Sure it may be a bit underpowered but nothing has the longevity of a honda. I've seen enough new sportsmans throw fits on the trails to ever trust a used one. Yamaha is pretty good too along with Can Am and Suzuki but I'd personally stay away from any used polaris. I'd rather be stuck and pulled out with a winch then be towed home with one but that's me

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by HondaR24
I've seen enough new sportsmans throw fits on the trails to ever trust a used one. Yamaha is pretty good too along with Can Am and Suzuki but I'd personally stay away from any used polaris.
x2

Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

where are you located wildfan97?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Don,t be afraid of used. Everyone on this forum rides a used ATV. They're considered used as soon as they they home from the dealership.

I know a girl who won a new 660 Yamaha Grizzly as a door prize and she sold it right away without riding it and had to take a $1000 hit to sell it.
It was considered used just for the fact it had to be transferred to her name before she could sell it.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

A rincon is low tech compared to the grizzly 660? automotive style torque converter with a 3 speed push button electronic transmission vs a spinning rubber band that is susceptible to water, Yea right.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rincon is a 39hp OHV big bore with a 3 speed tranny 3wd with no low range that only allows a mere 850 lb tow rating, thats why it does not even come with a tow hitch. Also has low suspention travel. A 660 would kill it ,heck a 550 Grizzly would.
Here is a one test of many.
HIGH PERFORMANCE 4X4 TEST 2011 HONDA RINCON 680 Big Red?s sportier 4x4 | News |
Honda’s 2011 Rincon is a sporty, fun ride on the trails! Its 675cc motor isn’t overwhelming with power, but it’s super smooth and easy to ride. Its 4WD system works well and will get you up and over most trail obstacles. However, without a low range or a locking front differential, this 4x4 will be a bigger hit with the trail rider and ranch hand. Rock crawlers and black-diamond trail enthusiasts need not apply
Don't put down the rubber band to much because there is no serous 4x4 ATV made without for a long time now.
The CVT runs sleds that have double power any ATV will ever have.

I also like this one http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...nda-rincon-680. Frozen in time since 2006 and in 2006 it was not a great performer.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaR24
A rincon is low tech compared to the grizzly 660? automotive style torque converter with a 3 speed push button electronic transmission vs a spinning rubber band that is susceptible to water, Yea right.
I wouldn't say a belt drive is susceptible to water unless you plan on going in up to the handlebars. The carb will be sucking water too so the belt getting wet is irrelevant. I've had a belt drive in water so deep it started coming over the racks and it still made it with no belt slippage. And the Rincon is very underpowered. It has the same horsepower as other manufacturers 500s. Honda's engines are low tech like nearly everything about their utility quads.

Quick Reply: Utility Atv: $3000