Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

FI 500CC + recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FI 500CC + recommendations

I will be purchasing within the next 1-2 months and primarily looking at used. Budget is $6k and I seem to be zeroing in on Grizzly 700 but also realize those hold their values and $6k can be borderline...at least where I live. I have been following used pricing in my area for the last 4+ months. Since the used Grizzly's seem to be higher priced, I would like to hear of some other options keeping the following in mind:
  • Using it to plow a large, mostly flat driveway so no gravity assist, elevation is just under 8k feet
  • Reliability
  • Towing a roughcut mowing deck
  • High altitude Jeep road exploring, up to 11k+ feet

The takeaway for me is it seems I really should not be looking at quads that are not fuel injected. I would also like to have the power available for a passenger at altitude. I have been reading up on a lot of other's threads on this site but wanted to pose my own requirements.

What are your thoughts? Thx and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 500cc and over 4x4 are efi now. And all will do what you want.
By "Gravity assist" do you mean engine braking?
If so all CVT 4x4 ATVs have Engine braking in the 500cc and over.
Even my 350 has it.

The bang for you buck king in 4x4 ATVs with efi around here is the Suzuki KQ 500 or 750 ,Yamaha 550 or 700 Polaris Sportsman 800 and AC 550.

Love the 500,650,800 Can-Am and Polaris XP550,850 but they seem to cost a lot more then the above ATVs.

Stay away from Power Steering that sure raises the price. A 500KQ or 550 Grizzly with P.S cost almost the same as the more powerful 750KQ and 700 Grizzly without the feature.
A 800 Sportsman cost less then a XP550 with or without PS and would make quick work of the XP at the same time in the power department.

As for reliably? Are they all not reliable in this day and age?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
By "Gravity assist" do you mean engine braking?
Ah, no...I should have been a bit more clear. The reference is to flat ground, not being able to take advantage of gravity for pushing snow.

Originally Posted by TLC
The bang for you buck king in 4x4 ATVs with efi around here is the Suzuki KQ 500 or 750 ,Yamaha 550 or 700 Polaris Sportsman 800 and AC 550.

As for reliably? Are they all not reliable in this day and age?
I know I have read post after post and seen your screen name a lot referencing it is all in how the quad was taken care of. I have some great info from this site on what to look for when shopping used but still feel uneasy reading about the many different types of failures encountered across all manufacturers...call it noobitis Your point is definitely made. I have seen some reasonable prices on Suzuki KQ which fit my requirements. Also, been looking of if I really should go used or bit the bullet and consider something like a '14 AC 550...but that exceeds the budget I promised my wife on. Even after buying the quad, I will still be looking at purchasing a winch and plow...not to mention the mowing deck come summer.

Also, when looking at used, seems surprising how many are advertising the quad with a wench but never providing the proper bikini clad pictures

Originally Posted by TLC
Stay away from Power Steering that sure raises the price. A 500KQ or 550 Grizzly with P.S cost almost the same as the more powerful 750KQ and 700 Grizzly without the feature.
A 800 Sportsman cost less then a XP550 with or without PS and would make quick work of the XP at the same time in the power department.
I am actually happy to read this. Thx for your comments.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ah, forgot an additional requirement...would like it to have IRS...which I believe generally puts the quad, in addition with the EFI, at roughly 6 years old or newer. I know some have had IRS longer than others but I am just generalizing.

Reason for the IRS is the better ride as I do live in the Rockies . I also understand it is better in regards to less of a chance for getting high centered on snow banks, etc.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the EFI 4x4 will have IRS except a Honda, 420 Rancher (comes with IRS or without) ,500 Foreman and Rubicon.

Has not been a 500+ 4x4 without IRS for a long while now.

I will still be looking at purchasing a winch
I don't buy new myself but, my 500 Sportsman , 350 Grizzly and friends 660 Grizzly all came stock with a 2500lb Warn Winch from the show room.
When I do go to a dealership to pick up something I notice many new ATVs have winches already in stalled.
Remember when shopping a good quality winch with mounting plate and already installed is almost a $500 feature.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

So, finally pulled the trigger and ended up purchasing an '07 Grizzly 700 FI/EPS yesterday. It is in very good shape and found it 2 1/2 hours away but had to drive in snow the entire way there and back early in the morning.

Only thing I wasn't entirely thrilled with is the previous owner did a "custom" paint job as the plastics were originally blue, he used made for plastic paint with tan/green. I may try and return it to blue, paint it black or more than likely just leave it as I have plenty of other ways to waste time. Honestly though, aesthetics are not the highest priority on my list...priority was the mechanical condition. Also, by him doing that custom paint, it showed me that the atv meant a little more to him than just a machine...made me feel even more confident it was taken care of.

Everything works well on it, motor is very strong. Came with a working Warn winch so only accessory I need is a plow...and man, I could use that plow now. I will try and post up some pictures later. Paid $5300 for it so I feel I got a decent deal...not a smokin deal, but a good deal for a very good condition Griz 700 in this area.

Can't wait to put it to use and also hit the trails!

GO BRONCOS!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations. I think you'll really like the Grizzly. Everybody with EPS says it's awesome.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. I actually got on it and rode it around a little today...the paint is starting to grow on me. Maybe I'll add some black splotches to the camo.

Here she is

Now, if only the Broncos will show up for the second half of the game