Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to 4Wheelers... 4wd or not? autoshift or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 4Wheelers... 4wd or not? autoshift or not?

I am looking for a fun used 4 wheeler - I went this past weekend to a guy that had several used ones he had fixed/whatever - intending to buy a 2wd for my wife and a 4wd for me. We did buy a 99 Honda Fourtrax300 2wd for her that was a blast, now I'm looking for something for me.

I think I want a 4x4 - only because I'd think that would make it more capable if I want to play in the mud or get into really rougher areas after I've gotten more riding experience.
Does that sound reasonable?

I test rode a couple of automatics, Kawasaki Prarie 360 and a Polaris Trail Boss 350(?) - and honestly they didn't seem as fun/sporty as the FourTrax, I'm guessing because of the automatic. for example, I'm brand new to this, but neither felt strong enough to pull the front wheels up or even do doughnuts (realizing a lot of that is knowing what you are doing, not just the quad - but that's the best way I know how to describe what I mean about fun/sporty/punchy/peppy)

Do all automatics feel less peppy than the footshift models, or was it something in particular about the ones that I tested?

I'm also finding that many of the 4x4s are full time 4wd, which without test riding one it's hard to know - but I'd assume it would also make them feel less fun/sporty than one in 2wd.

I know - I need to ride some of them to see how they feel, but since I'm shopping used, that can mean taking several hours to go see/ride each one.

I'm probably asking for too much - I'm trying to stay under $2500 or so, get selectable 4wd and footshift... oh, and EFI would be nice too... LOL

I guess I'm asking for advice on:
Is there an automatic that feels as punchy as a footshift?
Does full time 4wd take away any of the punchy/fun feeling?
Yeah, I'm majorly confused...
Riding will definitely be beginner level trails, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What you can buy used for how much depends on location, which you do not state.

Here on the left coast, a 4x4 utility quad will cost a minimum of $2500, and that
will be 15 yo. All those have fulltime 4x4, which is not ideal, esp if you ever ride
on pavement. FI, auto, and part-time 4x4, you are looking at over $3K, and that's
one with lots of hours.

If you want sporty, those are super-cheap in the winter, but if you don't know
manual shift, and have a few grey hairs, forget it.

A good auto sporty unit is something like the Kymco Mongoose 300 (also comes
from ACat and Kaw). The AT will not feel the same as any semi-auto or manual,
but these units run rings around a Fourtrax 300 utility.

Honda also makes a TRX300 sporty unit, called the Sportrax300 (EX). But it's
manual. I sold a 2001 for only $1550 6 mo ago.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

If you want sort of sporty and 4x4 then defiantly do not get a all the time 4x4 and in that price range forget about efi. I like having automatic 4x4 personally but the manual shifts can be fun. A good rule of thumb (may sound dumb) is the higher the cc's the more an automatic will slide, spin and what not

Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Theres alot of ground to cover on atvs from just 10-15 years ago to present,alot has changed. to start from your post,The trail blazer is sorta heavy and the kawi 360 is an ok atv,but not super powerful for a utility. any 4wd is gonna have a harder time doing wheelies b/c of the extra weight in front for 4wd. Plus an atv with only 300-400 and even 500 cc's and 4wd are gonna be a bit harder to do wheelies,its possible,but you have to work at it. A sport atv in the 300-500cc range will wheelie pretty easy if its a manual. The wolverine 350 and 450 are great atvs,but depending on year are full time 4wd and the newer models is an automatic 450.

An atv the feels peppy really depends on the manufacturer. For instance, the most powerful atv in just about every class from 400-1000cc is gonna be Can -am. There atvs are typically the fastest, almost all 4wd models have v-twins(excluding the 400 and smaller models,and some sport models) i wouldnt say they have the most torque but HP yes. I own an can am outlander 500,its fast,but a single cylinder 500 will to me feel much more torquey when pulling loads. a twin tends to rev to highter RPM.

Honda has an atv that uses a torque converter like a car and another transmission they call hondamatic(i think) the others use a belt drive(CVT)
Some have electronic power steering(EPS), Electronic fuel injection(EFI), but neither is a necessity.
Some models have push button 4wd which means you can run in 2wd,4wd,or use a front differential locker which locks both front wheels for maximum traction. When an atv is in regualar 4wd it transfers power back and forth between the 2 front wheels. This makes it much easier to steer in rough terrain,but if you do get hung up and need that extra traction thats when the locker comes in to help pull you out. Also,not all 4wd models offer a 4 wheel locker. Some dont have a locker at all but will still lock at the right speed. Polaris uses a 4wd system like this and can am also. Although the older model can ams do not lock as well as the newer models. they work pretty good for most trail riding.
as mentioned,price depends on area. Im considering selling my 2007 outlander 500 for around $3,200 with 900 miles and some extras on it,but in other areas it could go for more or less,so location is key on price. I could probably get more to be honest.
There is just too much to get into really. Whats been mentioned is really just a portion of information on whats out there. They make some sporty automatics that are really fun just depends on what you like to ride. Id look at some models that interest you then maybe ask what others think of them or suggestions. good luck on your purchase.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Most all have been selectable for a long time now.
Any serious 4x4 is a CVT auto now.
The most powerful foot shift 4x4 is a 500 foreman. A Sportsman 400H.O would dust that.

4x4 allows the rider to go further and deeper before getting stuck.
They are 3wd if they have no AWD system of some kind like diff lock.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Most all have been selectable for a long time now.
Yeah, I think the first switchable 4x4 appeared about 1999, but most/all
the big boys had it by 2002.

You know this, but others may not: most/all of the full-time 4x4s use
limited-slip front differentials and locked rear final drives, so they can send
power to any wheel, even when one front wheel slips.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think I want a "sport quad" - especially since I'm just starting out I'd rather not have to deal with a clutch. I don't ride motorcycles at all, so that would add an entire new learning curve to everything. Aren't they "less good" for trails anyway? I thought they were more about go-fast, jump-far, track action.

As for the riding I expect to do - It won't be for hunting or working around a farm. It will be purely to play on, probably 95% of the time at ATV parks (there are a few within a reasonable drive of here). I just don't want to buy less than I will want in a few months - but at the same time, I can't afford to over buy either.

I guess I'm just surprised how difficult it is to find a 4 wheeler with selectable 4wd and a foot shifter in the 300-400 or so size. (I'm guessing at least a 300 because I'm a pretty heavy guy - 280lbs). Maybe I need to give a few more automatics a shot - I just wasn't impressed with the ones I tried.

Unless I can find this magic ride, I need to decide which is more important:
Full time 4wd or full time 2wd if I want a foot shifter
Automatic/CVT if I want to have selectable 2wd/4wd

By the way, I'm in the Southeastern US - Birmingham Alabama to be more exact.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

try a can-am renagade 500.its a sport bike with option of 4wd, the yamaha wolvwerine is the same but a 450. Both are automatic though and good bikes,but im unsure you will find one around $2500. Arctic cat makes a 300-500cc that offered semi-auto (no clutch,but has foot shifter). honda has auto or electronic shifting on their atvs. suzuki may have has some shifting bikes maybe in the 300-500 class. Cant remember all the bikes,vinson 500 was offered in semi auto i think and suzuki eiger 400. These are older models to look for.

Sport bikes are great for trail! light and fun to jump,wheelie,slide,ect...not good for deep mud but it will still make in some mud,ground clearance it usually the issue. they sit about 4" off the ground where as a 4wd usually sits around 8-12"

Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually have found a 2001 Wolverine 350 - says it's a 5 speed manual 4x4 (don't know if it's full time 4x4 or selectable) for $2999 at a dealer. I also have an "in" at this dealer where I would expect to get a much better deal than their advertised price.

They also have a 99 Polaris Sportsman 335 4x4 for $2999 and a 2000 King Quad 300 4x4 for $2999

I'm hoping to get by the shop tomorrow to test ride them.

Don't know why, but I figured I should stay with Honda, Yamaha, or Polaris. I have no real reason that I can think of though... Are Suzuki, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat all reasonably reliable?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want sporty stay away from Cat utes.

Running a 4x4 in 2x4 mode is definitely going to give you a sportier feel.

Yes, a gear on gear transmission is generally more responsive than a CVT(although that can be mitigated somewhat with clutch work.) IMHO, you should really be looking in the 500CC range anyway, as nothing in the 300/400 class is really going to be a powerhouse when you consider the extra drive line losses from the belt drive and 4x4. The bigger motors have the muscle to power a CVT and are more entertaining. Maybe the Wolverine would be a good fit for you though, and a good match capability wise with the Honda you already have.

Quick Reply: New to 4Wheelers... 4wd or not? autoshift or not?