Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda 450r or YFZ450

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450r or YFZ450

Hey, I was wandering what to get I have around 3k-4k to spend. I do lots of trail riding and I want reliable and fast, also some horsepower would be nice. I pull home my freinds quads all the time. But I do trail riding, road riding, snow riding, and I go through mud quite a bit but not anything too deep. Anybody know what to get?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pick a color and go. Both are excellent quads. Both require more PM than a 400ex or utility, but barring that neither is more likely to leave you stranded. In 2007 Yamaha added the oil squirter mod as oem, which is a step in reliability. It can be added for about $200.00 to the earlier models though. 2006 they changed to an eccentric cam chain adjust which is also easier to use and adds reliability(I switched my '05 swingarm out to this style.) The 450R had a complete engine and suspension setting change after the '04/'05 model runs. Those years the suspension and motor were mellower and better suited for trail riding/xc racing type applications. In '06 Honda firmed up the shocks and put a bit more hit in the powerband. Oddly enough Yamaha smoothed out their power hit and suspension a bit in '06, although it was still noticeably more of a hit than Honda. Yamaha has a small edge in handling for all years.

I love my Yamaha, but I would ride red and not think twice about it if that is where I found the better deal/cleaner machine were I in your shoes.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Originally Posted by Goon1395
Hey, I was wandering what to get I have around 3k-4k to spend. I do lots of trail riding and I want reliable and fast, also some horsepower would be nice. I pull home my freinds quads all the time. But I do trail riding, road riding, snow riding, and I go through mud quite a bit but not anything too deep. Anybody know what to get?
You'll love either one you get. Both are great. Scooter nailed the differences. YFZ handles a bit better. Honda will wheelie on you with ease. They always seem lighter in the front. Just take care of them and do your maintenance and i doubt you'll have any issues. Always check your fluids before a ride and change the oil regularly, it's the life of your ATV.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Pick a color and go. Both are excellent quads. Both require more PM than a 400ex or utility, but barring that neither is more likely to leave you stranded. In 2007 Yamaha added the oil squirter mod as oem, which is a step in reliability. It can be added for about $200.00 to the earlier models though. 2006 they changed to an eccentric cam chain adjust which is also easier to use and adds reliability(I switched my '05 swingarm out to this style.) The 450R had a complete engine and suspension setting change after the '04/'05 model runs. Those years the suspension and motor were mellower and better suited for trail riding/xc racing type applications. In '06 Honda firmed up the shocks and put a bit more hit in the powerband. Oddly enough Yamaha smoothed out their power hit and suspension a bit in '06, although it was still noticeably more of a hit than Honda. Yamaha has a small edge in handling for all years.

I love my Yamaha, but I would ride red and not think twice about it if that is where I found the better deal/cleaner machine were I in your shoes.
Thanks, I think I will pick a red 06/7 since I want reliability and speed i'm more of a Honda person anyway I rode sportsman and blaster, I didn't like either then I rode a 300ex and loved it. So ill go with the honda. Also is the 400ex or 700xx worth looking into?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Koopa
You'll love either one you get. Both are great. Scooter nailed the differences. YFZ handles a bit better. Honda will wheelie on you with ease. They always seem lighter in the front. Just take care of them and do your maintenance and i doubt you'll have any issues. Always check your fluids before a ride and change the oil regularly, it's the life of your ATV.
Thanks, Ill take the Honda it seems more reliable and I'll take care of it. If it wheelies too much I can always go up a tooth on the front sprocket

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Goon1395
Thanks, I think I will pick a red 06/7 since I want reliability and speed i'm more of a Honda person anyway I rode sportsman and blaster, I didn't like either then I rode a 300ex and loved it. So ill go with the honda. Also is the 400ex or 700xx worth looking into?
I'd always recommend a 700xx. Check out club700xx.com and see what people say about it. More info on that site than I or anyone could possibly put in a post. If you check out YouTube you won't see it doing much losing and I'd say its much more reliable than any high strung 450

Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with HondaR24. Keep in mind that you said you loved the TRX300ex. Depending on your experience, a 700cc machine may be a bit much. Anyway, the 700xx is an excellent machine, but it does take some getting used to. Don't expect to MX with this one, but it shines everywhere else. With the IRS, it does not corner/slide near as well as having a solid rear axle but an after market sway bar will help a bunch. With the stock gearing, it is easy to stall since first is geared a little high. It does not like to be lugged around. A quick and easy fix is a smaller front sprocket. This particular machine is one of my favorite quads.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Pick a color and go
Exactly, all the 450s are neck and neck in power and suspension just like the 450 motocross bikes.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright 700xx it is so far, my dad said that he will put about half of what I put into it so I might be able to fork enough out. but yeah I saw some and liked it my freind has a sportsman 500 H.O efi and I ride it sometimes is the 700xx as hard to handle?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it is not difficult to handle, but it is different. Read my previous post. Don't base your purchase on the opinions of a few posts. Make sure you ride as many machines as you can, don't bite off more than you can chew, and choose the one you like best. If you decide on the 700xx, I don't think you will be disappointed, but there are some other really great quads out there.

Quick Reply: Honda 450r or YFZ450