Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

lt250r a good quad?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nachop
The original 250R model was the Honda ATC. And yes, the 250 2-strokes quads from Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki are faster than a 400ex and require a slightly different riding style.
What do you mean by a slighty different riding style.?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody mentioned spare parts. Are they still available?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Nobody mentioned spare parts. Are they still available?
All the main wear items are readily available, yes. There are still quite a few of these kicking around and they have a good following. Oddly enough I think the fact that there are no new 2 stroke quads manufactured now has helped the old models out availability wise. I know I have no worries for finding parts for my Honda. I was able to get everything needed to rebuild a couple LT's a few years ago. Of course times change, eventually we may see a lot of YZ250 powered quads?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
All the main wear items are readily available, yes. There are still quite a few of these kicking around and they have a good following. Oddly enough I think the fact that there are no new 2 stroke quads manufactured now has helped the old models out availability wise. I know I have no worries for finding parts for my Honda. I was able to get everything needed to rebuild a couple LT's a few years ago. Of course times change, eventually we may see a lot of YZ250 powered quads?
Yeah I guess that the new 450s kinda took care of the old 250s. Did they still make banshees when the 450s where made.?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

There were just a few years of overlap with the Banshee and the Honda/Yamaha 450s. For the record, the 450 didn't kill the 2 stroke racers, as there is about a 12 year gap in production there. Heck, the dirtbikers can still buy new 2 strokes and they have had 4 stroke racers a lot longer.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trail rider99
What do you mean by a slighty different riding style.?
Older 2 stroke motors do not have as smooth and predictable of a powerband as 4 strokes do. A 4 stroke tends to accelerate smoothly with no surprises. The 2 stroke, on the other hand, will have an explosive burst of power, usually in the mid to upper powerband. Now there are some that have lethal low end power. From what I hear, the newer 2 stoke motors (modern 2 wheelers) have much smoother power delivery and some can even be lugged around whereas the older one did not like to lugged around. They are alot of fun to ride, but you do tend to shift gears more often.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by nachop
Older 2 stroke motors do not have as smooth and predictable of a powerband as 4 strokes do. A 4 stroke tends to accelerate smoothly with no surprises. The 2 stroke, on the other hand, will have an explosive burst of power, usually in the mid to upper powerband. Now there are some that have lethal low end power. From what I hear, the newer 2 stoke motors (modern 2 wheelers) have much smoother power delivery and some can even be lugged around whereas the older one did not like to lugged around. They are alot of fun to ride, but you do tend to shift gears more often.
Ok. Does anyone know if they wheelie very good.?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Originally Posted by trail rider99
Ok. Does anyone know if they wheelie very good.?
Yes, they will wheelie just fine. Again, a lot depends on the power band characteristics of the motor, as a "pipey" delivery (bigger hit) tends to spin the rears more readily. It takes a bit more to master than a typical 4 stroke, but they have a good power to weight ratio. My brother used to ride wheelies on his '87 from one end of a field to the other.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scooter86
Yes, they will wheelie just fine. Again, a lot depends on the power band characteristics of the motor, as a "pipey" delivery (bigger hit) tends to spin the rears more readily. It takes a bit more to master than a typical 4 stroke, but they have a good power to weight ratio. My brother used to ride wheelies on his '87 from one end of a field to the other.
Ok...are parts for it pretty cheap?

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparatively speaking, they are generally cheaper than parts for 4 strokes, AND they are easier to work on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt250r a good quad?