Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Hawkeye, Wolverine, or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye, Wolverine, or Something Else?

I could use some advice on the best machine to get for my 16 yr old son, an inexperienced 130 lb rider. We ride in the rocky mountains of Arizona and Utah for fun and hunting. I am hoping to stay below $3,000 but can go up to $4,000 if the value is there. I have been trying to make a well informed decision and have considered used sport quads, new 250 cc machines, and older used utility vehicles. I recognize that there are pros and cons to everything.

I first looked at sport quads like the Suzuki 400 or even a Polaris 525 Outlaw IRS. But I worry about it being too much for a beginner. I like the combination of features on the 450 4x4 Yamaha Wolverine and 300 4x4 Polaris Hawkeye. I am looking at couple 2006 Wolverines each for sale at around $3,500 and several 2006 Haweyes for sale between $2,500 and $3,500.

Any thoughts on these or other vehicles, their reliability, and the sales prices would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

between the 2,id say wolverine. Yamaha has better rep than polaris IMO.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Friend's son had a Hawkeye 300. He managed to stay with us in the rough stuff very well. It was a surprising quad. But, now that he's had a growth spurt and is taller than his father, the quad doesn't fit him anymore. I think the Wolverine would have more room to grow than the Hawkeye. There are other machines out there that are mid-sized. Some of the Yamaha, Suzuki, and Hondas are a good mid-sized quad.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses. Am I right in assuming the Out 525 is too much for a beginner?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A 525 will go as slow as you want , but a 300 may not go as fast as you want. It,s all about how you work your throttle thumb.

A Outlaw will do 10 mph all day long but a Hawkeye will not do 60 mph (Unless its the 455 H.O version maybe).

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by TLC
A 525 will go as slow as you want , but a 300 may not go as fast as you want. It,s all about how you work your throttle thumb.

A Outlaw will do 10 mph all day long but a Hawkeye will not do 60 mph (Unless its the 455 H.O version maybe).
agree to a point. Depending on the beginner(some have what it takes,others dont) a 525 will have more torque/wheel spin than a 300 obviously. Especially if a manual clutch is involved. Smaller cc atvs are gonna be more forgiving to those who dont know how to ride in extreme conditions. (note:extreme may not be extreme to all) Ive seen more larger displacement atvs come over on riders than smaller displacement. Id say its gonna depend on the type of riding you do. we ride woods,with creeks,hills,trees to go over ,ect...Put a beginner on a 525 manual and he/she is probably gonna have some issues. then again,they'll get use to it!!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting a beginner on a 525 is asking for trouble IMO. There are lots of better choices. I think the Z400 is one of them.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering about the LTZ 400, seems to be a lot of them out there. I wonder how good it would be on a rocky trail and how difficult the clutch would be for a beginner. I guess he would learn the manual clutch before too long.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which style does he want to ride? Sport? Ute? What do you ride? Everyone usually has a better time if they are somewhat similar machines.

On the 525, I ask how responsible and level headed is your son? The 525 is a big boy, full on race motor by KTM. It is a great motor that is surprisingly torquey down low, but they accelerate with authority and will be a handful for someone likely to ride over their ability. It could work, depends on the rider.

Z400 is a better choice, still very capable. A bit more concern for ground clearance with the solid axle. I learned to use a manual clutch in a day, proficient a few rides after that. It wouldn't be a huge concern to me and would teach him a life skill.

The Wolverines are all pretty solid machines and would be a good choice. I would pick that over the Polaris. For that matter, just about any of the 500cc and under utes would be a fine machine.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

If i were to choose a sport quad id say a honda 400ex. they are pretty reliable and enough power to take on most yet not over powered,can get one almost everywhere. The seat height i think is a bit lower than the Z400 so it wouldnt feel as top heavy. kfx 400 is the pretty much the same as a z400(not sure if they make them still).
to sum it up IMO and If its a ute he wants,guess it depends on the riding and experience though. most will want ground clearance and full diff lock if he will be riding a bunch of mud. If its casual trail riding then id say anything 350cc-650cc range. Just what ever is comfortable. If he wants a bit of both the crossovers like wolverine,scrambler(old models not recommended),can am renegade 500(may be out of price range),or arctic cat 450 xc. These are sporty but offer 4wd. It comes down to what Scooter86 asked,whats his style of riding?

Quick Reply: Hawkeye, Wolverine, or Something Else?