Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which 4wheeler should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a method reviewing how to bypass your front diff lock limiter
Nyroc's ATV info website

but I strongly advise you don't do this... as there's potential for serious and expensive diff damage by trying to turn while your diff is locked or while riding higher speeds.

like your operators manual mentions; slow & straight while the front diff is locked for the manual lockers.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

here's another useful link for the Suzuki king quad service manual...

KingQuad.info • Zobrazit téma - Manualy

Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand your saying,but if my diff was broke then it wouldnt turn both wheels at all times. A locked front diff can work properly as long you dont abuse it. Result in broken parts will absolutely happen. But in mud,snow,dirt ,even rocks where the terrain is uneven and not flat like black top or concrete, the area will get torn up so to speak or maybe the tires. Then a locked front diff is not an issue as long as you dont over do it. If your theory holds truth(and to an extent,it does) then our atvs should have broken rear ends as they are locked at all times.
I know your going to say thats because the rear doesnt turn but a front diff doesnt know that the front wheels are turned either. Its stationary and the only moving parts are technically the ball joints on the tie rod ends. everything else acts as though its straight and is stationary. the reason for difficult turning with diff locked is simply laws of physics. i know that you understand what im about to say so please dont think im being rude. This is simply my understandings. How can two items that are connected to each other turn the same speed when one is on the inside and the other on the outside of a radius? Technically they cant, either the ground(in our case the dirt,mud,snow,ect...) has to give or the tires will wear and parts "could" break due to the torque applied and the fact one is trying to turn sharper than the other at the same rate. If you do not abuse it it will work just fine. If my understandings are wrong please correct me. I am not wanting anyone thinking im a smart *** know it all. Im also not trying to create conflict, Im simply hear to help and learn.

The reason i can hit 40mph wth my locker on is b/c arcticcat uses a cable operated diff lock,no electronics to keep it from hitting a rev limiter. thats my guess.
Update: Well i just took it out for a spin and I hit 30mph because thats all the room i had with diff lock on and I noticed it turned off automatically then back on at slower speeds. Is it broke?, i dont know but it was pulling when i needed it to and not when i didnt need it to. Ill have to mess wit hit a bit more. I do know on rocks it definitely steers hard but it always spins both wheels. Maybe arcticcat thought about that when they designed their machines that speed maybe a factor with diff lock on and created a saftey for them at higher speeds.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
i understand your saying,but if my diff was broke then it wouldnt turn both wheels at all times. A locked front diff can work properly as long you dont abuse it. Result in broken parts will absolutely happen. But in mud,snow,dirt ,even rocks where the terrain is uneven and not flat like black top or concrete, the area will get torn up so to speak or maybe the tires. Then a locked front diff is not an issue as long as you dont over do it. If your theory holds truth(and to an extent,it does) then our atvs should have broken rear ends as they are locked at all times.
I know your going to say thats because the rear doesnt turn but a front diff doesnt know that the front wheels are turned either. Its stationary and the only moving parts are technically the ball joints on the tie rod ends. everything else acts as though its straight and is stationary. the reason for difficult turning with diff locked is simply laws of physics. i know that you understand what im about to say so please dont think im being rude. This is simply my understandings. How can two items that are connected to each other turn the same speed when one is on the inside and the other on the outside of a radius? Technically they cant, either the ground(in our case the dirt,mud,snow,ect...) has to give or the tires will wear and parts "could" break due to the torque applied and the fact one is trying to turn sharper than the other at the same rate. If you do not abuse it it will work just fine. If my understandings are wrong please correct me. I am not wanting anyone thinking im a smart *** know it all. Im also not trying to create conflict, Im simply hear to help and learn.

The reason i can hit 40mph wth my locker on is b/c arcticcat uses a cable operated diff lock,no electronics to keep it from hitting a rev limiter. thats my guess.
No one is thinking you're a smart as- this is just a discussion

I was under the impression you were riding a Suzuki for some reason...
I have zero knowledge of the arctic cat atv's; I've never owned one and don't know anyone who does so i cant logically make any statements on how they work... but,

You rear diff is not "locked" - it's a limited slip diff.
my point above was that all manual locking front diffs will break if you try turning and your tires are getting traction- (eventually) the inside tire always has to turn less than the outside tire when making a turn- a mechanically locked diff (essentially a solid axle) will never allow this to happen unless it's broken or not locked in; you may be able to strong-arm the steering when the tires are on loose terrain but, this is not the correct way to operate any vehicle with a locked diff. ever try to turn an SRA sport quad around on tar? it hops and fights you- and is really bad for carrier bearings.
atv manufacturers put rev limiters on atvs with manual locking diffs because of the dangers of riding fast and not being able to turn- the owners manual for the grizzly and king quad will specifically state to never try to engage your locker while moving and turning- because of the physical and mechanical limitations of manual lockers, they will always be less versatile than an auto locker- by nature of design.

this isn't the case with the polaris & can-am front locking diffs; they will lock when it's needed, then unlock without any input from the rider so the rider can seamlessly steer and ride- and because of this, the can-am and polaris lockers can be activated at any speed.

if your doing 90% straight mudding, then the manual locker is ideal (if you don't mind stopping to lock the diff) if your looking for all around trail riding, mudding and hill climbing, you cant beat the performance of an auto locker. auto lockers especially out shine manuals on hill climbs; climbing hills is all about momentum- and you have no momentum if you need to stop in the middle of a hill to lock the diff (unless you stop before hitting the hill to turn the manual locker on)

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well guys can we get back on topic?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

JJ, try out the 650 Outlander and 800 if you can. The 1000 is probably tops of the heap fun-wise in a 4x4. But the 650 may surprise you in a good way. If you get an XT package the Outlander is comparable to a loaded quad from any maker price-wise. What I mean by this is that if you buy another brand quad and put all the equipment on it that comes in the XT package you probably won't see much more than a couple hundred dollar difference in price. The big bores are up there price-wise so you have to pay to play. Just some random thoughts.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
JJ, try out the 650 Outlander and 800 if you can. The 1000 is probably tops of the heap fun-wise in a 4x4. But the 650 may surprise you in a good way. If you get an XT package the Outlander is comparable to a loaded quad from any maker price-wise. What I mean by this is that if you buy another brand quad and put all the equipment on it that comes in the XT package you probably won't see much more than a couple hundred dollar difference in price. The big bores are up there price-wise so you have to pay to play. Just some random thoughts.

Thank you. If I was gonna get one, I really do like the silver color on them. I thought they only made the 800 and 1000XT. Didn't know they made an 650, thats another thing to consider now. So, I'm really interested on getting the 650 or 800XT in the silver.

Yeah you're right on the upgrades that does include in the XT package, maybe I can get one. Have you had any problems out of yours?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

not sure how you're running 40mph with your front diff locked...
I know it.

I rode many ATVs with difflock, they are almost un-steerable with both fronts locked. (Its basic physics)
The diff lock can't even be engaged unless in low range for safety reason.

Even if you can bypass the safety features , you can not run at 40 mph with two front wheels locked for long before you ditch.
If you could then what is the point of the 3wd option?

Diff lock just gets you out of that slow short nasty spot that 3wd can't, you sure can,t cruise with it on. Even Power Steering would be straining itself.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ STIN
Thank you. If I was gonna get one, I really do like the silver color on them. I thought they only made the 800 and 1000XT. Didn't know they made an 650, thats another thing to consider now. So, I'm really interested on getting the 650 or 800XT in the silver.

Yeah you're right on the upgrades that does include in the XT package, maybe I can get one. Have you had any problems out of yours?
Haven't had any issues with it. It's run nicely since purchase. The 650 will beat most quads in a race except for the Arctic Cat 1000, Polaris 850 and 1000, or the Can-Am 800 and 1000. Nice controllable power.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Haven't had any issues with it. It's run nicely since purchase. The 650 will beat most quads in a race except for the Arctic Cat 1000, Polaris 850 and 1000, or the Can-Am 800 and 1000. Nice controllable power.
I like to have power lol, with that being said I probably just get the 800XT.

Quick Reply: Which 4wheeler should I buy?