Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which 4wheeler should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 4wheeler should I buy?

Well, this Spring/Summer I'm gonna get a new four-wheeler. Can't decide on which one I want. I got two currently '02 Honda Foreman 450ES & an '04 Honda Rancher 350. They have been great, very durable and hasn't had a problem out of 'em, except when I get stuck in the mud! haha.

So, my plans are to get a Yamaha Grizzly 700 or a Can-Am Outlander 800 XT. Which one would be more fun? The Outty would be more enjoyable, imo. Greater acceleration, more speed, digging the silver color and looks aggressive. The Grizzly would be more aggressive looking, better 4WD, more durable, less problems probably, and more of a controlled bike, just as fun to ride!

Thought about getting an Kawasaki Brute Force or a Suzuki King Quad, but they just don't appeal to me. Brute Force have V-Twins, but just don't know some things I like about em & some I don't. So far I prefer Yamaha the most.

If you go to a dealer can you test drive em? I think some you can, not too sure though.
My uncle has an '08 Yamaha Grizzly 660, man that thing is fun to drive, so smooth with that IRS. Drives better than both my Hondas. Such a blast to drive. Just another reason I wanna get a Grizzly.

My price range, I'd get an used if in real good condition or low miles. Wanna buy brand new though.
No more than $11K.

What do you guys have or what to perfer?
Why you like it & not like about it.
Thanks.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you really want a Grizzly. They're a great all around quad and you can get one with EPS for $9,499, so It's within your budget.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It sounds like you really want a Grizzly. They're a great all around quad and you can get one with EPS for $9,499, so It's within your budget.
Yeah you're right man.
Actually I've checked on some prices on the Griz, best price I've found is $8,360. Thats for a 2014 Grizzly 700 with PS.

Other thing that is stopping me from getting a Grizzly, is the power that the Outty delivers!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You can get an Outlander 650 and it will win racing against the Grizzly 700. With the 1000 it's a done conclusion. As said, the Grizzly is a great all-around quad. Not #1 in any one area to me but good all around. The modern Can-Ams have the Visco-Lok QE to lock in the front axles. It works fine. Never had a problem with it and haven't got stuck yet that I can think of. That's deep water, mud, and snow riding. Both 4wd systems will work for anyone getting in deep. The Can-Am system is push the rocker switch and forget about it. The Grizzly you put into 4wd which starts as a limited slip and then you push a lever, and a button to fully lock the front end. Matter of preference. If you wanted to save some cash get the 800 Outlander. It's on par with the Polaris 850 and will outrun the Arctic Cat 1000. You will have more on-board storage options with the Can-Am. Has a good sized compartment under the rear rack area. If you can test drive both and go with what you like the feel of.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
You can get an Outlander 650 and it will win racing against the Grizzly 700. With the 1000 it's a done conclusion. As said, the Grizzly is a great all-around quad. Not #1 in any one area to me but good all around. The modern Can-Ams have the Visco-Lok QE to lock in the front axles. It works fine. Never had a problem with it and haven't got stuck yet that I can think of. That's deep water, mud, and snow riding. Both 4wd systems will work for anyone getting in deep. The Can-Am system is push the rocker switch and forget about it. The Grizzly you put into 4wd which starts as a limited slip and then you push a lever, and a button to fully lock the front end. Matter of preference. If you wanted to save some cash get the 800 Outlander. It's on par with the Polaris 850 and will outrun the Arctic Cat 1000. You will have more on-board storage options with the Can-Am. Has a good sized compartment under the rear rack area. If you can test drive both and go with what you like the feel of.
Man, If I get an Outty it be an 800XT in the Pure Magnesium Metallic color.
I just don't know what to do, once it warms up, I'm gonna test drive one & see what I like the best between the two.
Such a hard option.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Grizzly would be more aggressive looking, better 4WD
Not sure how a Grizzly has better 4wd over another AWD (True 4wd) ATV.

4 wheels turning is 4 wheels turning.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
Not sure how a Grizzly has better 4wd over another AWD (True 4wd) ATV.

4 wheels turning is 4 wheels turning.
If you had in the Diff Lock, all 4 wheels are pulling.

Visco-Lock on the Can-Am if you have it in 4wd doesn't lock in until it starts to spin.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by JJ STIN
If you had in the Diff Lock, all 4 wheels are pulling.

Visco-Lock on the Can-Am if you have it in 4wd doesn't lock in until it starts to spin.
I've had my Outlander for almost a couple years now and the QE (Quick engagement) Visko-Lok is seamless. It's not gradual and the only thing you notice is that it pulls up and over what you're pointing at. Much better than my son's 2009 which is more gradual engaging.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I've had my Outlander for almost a couple years now and the QE (Quick engagement) Visko-Lok is seamless. It's not gradual and the only thing you notice is that it pulls up and over what you're pointing at. Much better than my son's 2009 which is more gradual engaging.
Alright, does make sense then for the newer models to do better than the old ones.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I wouldn't have bought it if the 4wd engagement wasn't up to par. My son doesn't mind how it works on his 2009 and he hasn't got stuck with it, just more of a preference that it's there when I want it instantaneously. We deal with steep rocky hill climbs, deep snow, and deep mud/water holes up here in New England, so you need a good 4wd. Haven't been disappointed at all. I previously had a Polaris Sportsman X2 and enjoyed it. Can-Am and Polaris use a 4wd system that comes on when needed. I never had a problem with either system. I like being able to put it in 4wd and not have to take the extra steps that the others use. Just a personal preference. Any true 4wd with good tires and the power to spin the mud out of them will work.

Quick Reply: Which 4wheeler should I buy?